I need a little help formatting my hardrive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by drewww75, Jun 27, 2010.

Jun 27, 2010
  1. drewww75
    OP

Newcomer drewww75 Member

United States
    I currently have a Western Digital My Book Essential portable hardrive, i looked at the compatibility and it says i need to make a disk partition. So right now I am converting it too Fat32 From NTFS. and i am going to make 2 partitions. What do i do next? do i need to use WBFS manager to format the other partition that isent Fat32 to WBFS for the wii? Or will both partitions be fat32?

The reason I am asking is before i tried to format it from to WBFS with the WBFS manager and it kept coming up with an error.
    it wouldn't work in usb loader gx either.

God, I am so lost.

any help would be greatly appreciated :]

2. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    once you've partitioned the whole HDD to Fat32 (Which is correct), then create two partitions, just split the Fat32 into two!
    Then open up 'WBFS manager (Mac or Windows), and format the Primary partition to WBFS!!

Leaving you with both a wbfs partition for your wii games! and a Fat32 partition for your other files (Disk images, music, .dol, films etc).

Pretty straight forward!
    If stuck, just post again one of us will help you out!

3. drewww75
    OP

Newcomer drewww75 Member

United States
    Thank you very much for the fast reply! i really dont know what i would do without this website lol. One last question than i should be good.... How do i set a partition to be primary partition? I'm sorry, i just don't wanna eff anything up ya know?
    '

4. drewww75
    OP

Newcomer drewww75 Member

United States
    oh and also, Its giving me an option to make a "new logical drive".. do i wanna do that?

5. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Once the drive is set up as FAT32, the Drive should be set as Primary by default I believe.
    Then you want to make an extended partition.
    In the extended partition, make a logical partition.
    Format the primary as WBFS.

You will end up with primary as WBFS and logical as FAT32.
    This way the WBFS will be picked up by wii and you use logical (FAT32) for personal files.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, Win7?

Suppachipmunk

EDIT: If using XP, I can suggest Norton Partition Magic Portable. PM me if you have problems finding this app. It only works on XP though.
    Second EDIT: On second thought, use GParted from a Live Boot Ubuntu CD if you have a spare. Or maybe you dual booted it already? Either way, GParted worked for me alot better than any other program, including the crappy windows built in partitioner.

6. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    Just partition to one large FAT32 partition, mark partition primary and active & format.

You can then store your .wbfs files, your homebrew, and any files for PC use. 360 games can go on it, and almost every OS ever released will be able to access it.

7. Parablank

Member Parablank GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I really don't see the need for WBFS, since you can just create a file in the root called "wbfs" and put the wbfs files there. Thus eliminating the need for 2 partitions.

However, if you want to keep going, I suggest using "Disk Management" to partition your drive.