I need a "casual" PSX emulator

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Subtle Demise, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I wamt to know a good PSX emulator for Windows. One where I don't have to screw around with installing and configuring a bunch of individual plugins, and having to switch them out for each individual game. It needs to be one that has a GUI and I can just set up my button config and load up an iso and go.

Right now I'm using mednafen, but honestly it's more trouble than it's worth. It runs great, but the lack of an interface makes getting everything just the way I want it into too much trial and error.

2. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Retroarch

3. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I tried retroarch sometime last year. As far as I know I had trouble getting it to launch my ISO files with the correct core.

4. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    PSX 1.13. You'll have to Google it because I can only find it mirrored on ROM sites.

Works exactly like you say. No plugins, no messing.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I suppose if you don't want to use Mednafen/Retroarch (easily the best PS1 emu), then ePSXe or PCSX-R PGXP are probably your best choices (my personal recommendation would be PCSX-RPGXP). PCSX-R PGXP is best for 3D games (as it adds high precision 3D geometry data), and ePSXe is probably the most user friendly. Both rely on plugins, but generally speaking with ePSXe the default ones will work just fine for a majority of games, and once you setup PCSX-R PGXP the first time most games will also work just fine.

I would not go with PSX as Dep suggested, as it's extremely outdated (easily 10ish years now) and compatibility is meh.

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    It's worth it to learn to set up epsxe, it's really not too hard, watch a YouTube vid if you need.

7. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Yes, it's old but it always worked well enough for me. The only game that ever gave me trouble was BoF4 but I admit I haven't tried to run every single PSX game. I know it doesn't have all the fancy modern resolutions and filters/shaders but that's what you get for keeping it simple.

Still, it was only a suggestion.