I just found out about linux my a ps3!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by steveroo, Feb 1, 2016.

1. steveroo
    OP

steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Oak Bay
    I was browsing the shmups.system11.org forums, when I came across a thread installing linux on a ps3...

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/1305/installing_linux_onto_your_sony_ps3/index3.html

I also found another way through ps3magic.com I assume the ps3magic is the same install procedure as the tweaktown instructions.

Okay gbatemp'ers, I have a few things I'd like to know about this linux business and a ps3.

1.) Is custom firmware is required to install linux?
    2.) Will linux kill the ps3 or ban me on psn
    3.) Is it true I can surf the internet with fireox on the ps3 with linux?
    4.) How's mame with linux and other emulators on the ps3?
    5.) Can I use any usb controller or wireless controller with linux and emulators?

2. steveroo
    OP

steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Oak Bay
    looks like this only applies to soft modable consoles 3.55 and below

|* - Hope
    | \
    | \
    | \
    | \
    | \
    | * - Understanding reality after a Google searching
    |___________

Last edited by steveroo, Feb 1, 2016
  3. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    1.) Is custom firmware is required to install linux? - yes
    2.) Will linux kill the ps3 or ban me on psn - it won't kill your ps3, but you're risking a ban if you go online without clearing your app usage history. either way, even with doing that, there's still a risk of ban.
    3.) Is it true I can surf the internet with fireox on the ps3 with linux? - yes, you can do anything like it's a normal linux box.
    4.) How's mame with linux and other emulators on the ps3? - same answer as #3
    5.) Can I use any usb controller or wireless controller with linux and emulators? - if you get drivers, yes. refer to answer in #3.