Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Ok, so basically, I have my computer connected to a router, which is connected to my modem. My internet works without problems. HOWEVER, whenever I connect my modem DIRECTLY to my computer, the connnection is not detected. On my modem (I have an arris modem), a light with word 'link' blinks to detect transfer. When it is directly connected to my computer, this light stays off. Also, on my computer, it tells me that the local area connection (I am using windows xp) is not connected because the ethernet cable is "unplugged". What could this be? Why can't my computer connect to my modem directly?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did you set the modem and router up yourself? Is the modem a DSL modem? Chances are the router is providing the PPPoE authentication you need to connect to the modem, which you haven't set up when connected to the computer.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exactly what Jiggah said

I have the same situation
verizon DSL, it has PPPoE and used to require a program on the PC to dial into the modem for it to connect into the modem
but once you add the router, assuming you set up the login info in the router setup correctly
it automatically dials in for you, its always connected removing the need for the program

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Did you set the modem and router up yourself? Is the modem a DSL modem? Chances are the router is providing the PPPoE authentication you need to connect to the modem, which you haven't set up when connected to the computer.
Well, when I first got the triple play, 2 guys came to my house at set everything up. It was working ok with the modem connected directly to the computer. I bought a router like 2 years later and set that up myself. It works fine. However it was when I tried to connect the modem to the computer today was when the issue occured. The only difference I can think of now is the computer...... It wasn't the same computer the guy hooked me up to. What would I go about setting up the authentication process so that it'll work?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The first thing I would do is to simply unplug the power from the modem after removing it from the router then putting the power back before plugging it into the computer just to make sure it isn't some IP leasing issue.

If it is indeed an issue with the PPPoE authentication on the computer then here's a walkthrough from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283070

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
The first thing I would do is to simply unplug the power from the modem after removing it from the router then putting the power back before plugging it into the computer just to make sure it isn't some IP leasing issue.

If it is indeed an issue with the PPPoE authentication on the computer then here's a walkthrough from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283070
Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night