Misc I have a 2ds, can you go online with cfw?

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
If you're asking if it's dangerous to go online with CFW, it's not. You can go online all you want.
Just don't use hacked Pokémon, that will probably get you banned.

jafc1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're asking if it's dangerous to go online with CFW, it's not. You can go online all you want.
Just don't use hacked Pokémon, that will probably get you banned.
That is cool... I have a switch and going online is a big no no. Why can you go online on the 2ds and not the switch

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
That is cool... I have a switch and going online is a big no no. Why can you go online on the 2ds and not the switch
Nintendo has a new system on Switch where they can tell if your system is hacked or not, and ban you if it is. They didn't have that on 3DS. You can even go online with pirated games, they can't tell the difference between legit and non-legit games on 3DS.
But that's only on 3DS, so be careful with the Switch.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one really knows for sure what triggers the bans on 3DS. You may or may not end up banned. I was banned after regularly using homebrew CIAs, some out of region games, and a couple hacked save files (this probably did it).

Also, wasn't some of the Switch telemetry stuff ported to 3DS with the last update?

Zazenora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the very same concerns a few months ago when I first installed Luma CFW on my 2DS.
The answer is a mixed bag.
First of all, when you decide to install CFW on any console, you must accept the risks of doing so in that you may potentially get banned from online services related to that console at any time, should you decide to connect to the internet with it afterwords.
With that, I suggest you take the proper precautions by using an online account that doesn't have any monetary value tied into it. Don't associate an account that you've used to pay for digital games, DLC, or any other purchases. Create a new account that won't be so devastating to you should you get banned in the future.
Console bans are also a possibility at some point. There's no 100% way to prevent a possible ban, so it's up to you to weigh the risks.

I would also like to suggest that should you decide to play online, don't use any cheats or game mods, as that would be the biggest red flag you could make. Don't be connected to the internet while using homebrew either.

If you follow these guidelines, you may reduce the potential of finding yourself banned at some point, but again it's never going to be a 100% thing. I've been playing online for months now following these rules and have been okay thus far.

Hopefully this will help you make a better informed decision on what you're willing to risk. I advise you to also do a little more research on your own, don't just take my word alone on this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It may be that the 2DS's CFW entry points may be harder to detect in some way. I'm sure the Switch was designed better based on mistakes made with previous consoles, which is why it's harder to avoid a ban on newer consoles.
The risk is still there, however there may not be as many resources dedicated to the 3DS/2DS systems towards combating users installing CFW or engaging in piracy by the company, since the Switch is currently their main money maker.
One thing you can bet on is that console developers are increasingly working on bettering their detection methods and console security with each new generation.
I personally hate some of the decisions that console developers are making regarding new consoles just for the sake of preventing piracy. We're increasingly seeing newer consoles become more "locked down" with certain features and more of an emphasis on requiring internet access.
Looking at it from the company's point of view though, it's understandable that they'd want to protect their products value. Regardless what we, the consumers may want to see get kept in consoles, the developers also have bills to pay.

(I apologize for double-posting. :( )

Last edited by Zazenora,
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

IrishMelody

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, when you decide to install CFW on any console, you must accept the risks of doing so in that you may potentially get banned from online services related to that console at any time,

And this is why I didn't Homebrew my 2DS XL for the longest time. But honestly I think even if you get banned CFW is worth it, over owning a vanilla console.

You should only get banned if you use hacked pokemon, such as ones that were caught in areas they don't appear in vanilla, or have moves or stats typically impossible for that pokemon. As far as I know, that's the most you can do to hope to prevent getting banned. There's not much you can do about the possibility.

Reactions: Zazenora

GokuOVER9000

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
does this mean that I can trade pokemon with other people on my 2ds with CFW? Will I only get banned if I have hacked pokemon?

Butch3

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So if I use my own game on a cartridge and connect to Street Pass (Basically i want to play Link Between Worlds against other players) will I get banned?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I use my own game on a cartridge and connect to Street Pass (Basically i want to play Link Between Worlds against other players) will I get banned?

You should be fine to play online for game that has multi players feature, as long you don't cheat you won't get banned.

rotd

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
what do bans cause? do they prevent you from connecting online, or do they just brick your system entirely?

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
what do bans cause? do they prevent you from connecting online, or do they just brick your system entirely?
You cannot play online, but you can still use the web browser and make purchases on the eShop, IIRC.

TST_NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo has a new system on Switch where they can tell if your system is hacked or not, and ban you if it is. They didn't have that on 3DS. You can even go online with pirated games, they can't tell the difference between legit and non-legit games on 3DS.
But that's only on 3DS, so be careful with the Switch.
so i can do aniting conect to my nintendo account + switch, play pirated games (and pirate games), use eshop, use hacks, use homebrew apps,games ? (on my cfw luma latest filmware 2ds xl) ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo