lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there another way to block those ad-caller? it drivin' me nuts! i'm getting 3 or 2 random (ad-voice recorded) caller per day!
and i'm not paying any more extra monthly fee to my BT (UK) service provider.
mad.gif

I was thinking of buying a new house phone with caller ID management which allow me to save and block those ad-caller..
dose anyone know? if there a house phone that have these features and work well within UK -thanks!

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get caller ID. It is theeeee best thing ever. We have it, and we also get tons of those annoying bitch ladies calling for money, and we just look to see what the number says, and half of them say, "Unknown Caller" or, some 800 number. That's when we don't answer.

But I don't think you can actually "block" the callers just by getting caller ID. Or can you?
blink.gif

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
I agree with my BIFF (Brian117) above meh.

Get caller ID, however I love the ones that say "If you want to talk to a representative press 1 now.", because I always press 1 and fuck with them.

Example:
Person: Hello how may I help you?
Me: Yo, its yah boy out hear Mike Jones!
Person: Who?
Me: MIKE JONES!!!
Person: I'm sorry sir, I don't know what you are talking about.
Me: Man, fuck you son! I'm bout to call Bovice, we're bout to run train on you bitch!

Person hangs up.

For those who listen to Mike Jones you may get what I am talking about with the first part.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Hahahaha. Funny stuff BIFF.

One time I picked up on a call, and after a few seconds of me talking to them, I SCREAMED, "SHUT UP!"

They seriously called RIGHT back after I hung up, and I imitated a girls voice and the lady was like, "I just called there, and someone told me to, "shut up", and I didn't appreciate that very well". So in my girls voice I said, "Oh, I am so sorry for that, I am going to beat him up." And the freaking lady was like, "Okay thank you..."

I was like, HAHA.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
*Phone rings*

Me:Hello?

Representative: Yes is this [insert name here]?

Me: Yeah.

*blows up balloon ignores talking*

*POP*

Me:AUGH I'VE BEEN SHOT!

*hangs up*

Awesome. Although they might call 911. :/

eSquire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you'd been shot, how would you hang up? I'm sure you'd have other priorities like, for example, falling to the ground in agony.

Anyway, my recommendation is to put the telemarketer on hold. Tell them you're gonna go get your credit card or something, then leave for a while. If you want, you can play some corny music to them, too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get a few of these when I am sitting around the house too.

Debt companies are my favourite: I am usually a guy earning £100K a month with serious debts. This usually means they get their boss at which point I put the phone down.
They call back and my brother answers with "I just got back in and nobody is here".
If he is not around then fake answer phone.
If I am really bored than making no effort to mask my voice "I do not know who you were talking to but it was not me" also works wonders.
For some reason they usually get quite irate.

Surveys are almost as fun, fuel cells and gas bottles for power and gas, loads of kids living in the house but for some reason they are more than the total, if they lead with are you at this postcode choose another one.

Accident lawyers are also good if you can spin a basic medical story.

Alas I am not in a flat or the window salesmen would have even more fun. Maybe I should find a flat for an address......

In your case most automated switchboards ring you through to an operator (compatibility with old phones thing), leaving it redirects you and does a good line in tying up switch boards. I will spare you the more invasive things you can do (VOIP setups or better corporate phone systems are almost as good as 90's phones for fun and games) on the grounds that neither you or I need to get arrested (turns out ofcom is not quite as toothless if you or I decide to play games).

Back on topic though you should not have to stump up anything:
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ (edit: I accidentally linked up the US one originally which is: https://www.donotcall.gov/ )

We do this for the older people we look after (some of those credit card types and whatever passes for publishers clearing house in this country make a killing off the less cogent ones) and it works quite well. Personally I like wasting their time for the reason above so I am not on it.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
eSquire said:
If you'd been shot, how would you hang up? I'm sure you'd have other priorities like, for example, falling to the ground in agony.

Anyway, my recommendation is to put the telemarketer on hold. Tell them you're gonna go get your credit card or something, then leave for a while. If you want, you can play some corny music to them, too.

One time I answered one but didn't say anything, then I found out it was a telemarketer so I just started breathing really heavily into the phone, after about a minute or so I just whispered "There's blood.. everywhere.", and they hung up.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just let the answering machine answer all our calls, sort of like a call screening.

Our outgoing message is: (in a very sarcastic voice) Telemarketers can can HANG UP NOW! (in a very pleasant voice) Everyone else, please leave a message.

If I was expecting a call and answer it right away and it's a telemarketer, I am not nice to them. Swearing, insulting, belittling abounds.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alidsl said:
Tell them you're under 18 and they have to delete your number off the database or you could sue them
smile.gif

This is very smart. Thanks for the idea.

Sstew said:
*Phone rings*

*POP*

*hangs up*

Haha. Calvin and Hobbes eh? And yeah I'd wonder what would happen if they called 911.

Law said:
QUOTE(eSquire @ Jul 20 2009, 07:33 PM)

One time I answered one but didn't say anything, then I found out it was a telemarketer so I just started breathing really heavily into the phone, after about a minute or so I just whispered "There's blood.. everywhere.", and they hung up.
This is freaking hilarious!
yaynds.gif

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Sstew said:
*Phone rings*

*POP*

*hangs up*

LOL

for some reason that reminded me of Holden Caulfield from The Catcher In The Rye...

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maktub said:
Sstew said:
*Phone rings*

*POP*

*hangs up*

LOL

for some reason that reminded me of Holden Caulfield from The Catcher In The Rye...
Really. I don't see the connection, but like I said before, it's from Calvin and Hobbes.
ch901112.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes I get telemarketing ad things on my cellphone which is actually illegal in this country since those numbers are supposed to be unlisted and usually it's the same one as one we used to get at home from some cruise thing, god I wanted to punch the cocksuckers who harassed me roughly 3 times a day at least for a month it was so annoying, then it stopped, maybe the assholes got arrested. I reported some business in Collingwood, Ontario for harassment because we are under the government run Do Not Call List and we even told them to stop calling us, but they didn't so I called the people who were running the list and told them that the fuckers wouldn't leave us alone, I have reported a few telemarketers actually since the list went into effect because they won't stop calling. Thankfully every single one I report has yet to call again.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rayder said:
I just let the answering machine answer all our calls, sort of like a call screening.

Our outgoing message is: (in a very sarcastic voice) Telemarketers can can HANG UP NOW! (in a very pleasant voice) Everyone else, please leave a message.

If I was expecting a call and answer it right away and it's a telemarketer, I am not nice to them. Swearing, insulting, belittling abounds.
I sometimes pretend to be some guy from India and do the "you came to my house and you kicked my dog" bit that is around on Youtube just to fuck with them, other times I harass and threaten them if they call more then 3 times a week

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto