Hacking I dun goofed and need some help please

• Thread starter Deleted-351540
  • Start date
  • Views 1,556
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted-351540

I've been away from my 3DS for a while. The SD card in my 3DS died and I figured I would get another one soon and load my SD card backup onto it and continue playing around with it. Well, in the year (or more) I've not used my 3DS, I've had my laptop die which had my copy of the SD card backup. I also had a copy of the SD card backup on my external hard drive, however that also went belly up on me about 7 months ago. So I am currently without a backup of my SD card from my 3DS. I've since gotten a new laptop, multiple external hard drives, and a few 128Gb and 64Gb SD cards and I'm ready to get this poor little 3DS up and running. My eventual plan is to donate the little guy to my 8 year old nephew along with my DS flashcart with both loaded down with game backups from my collection. I will also be giving the original game carts to his mother for safe keeping, should anything happen to the console so that I can make new backups if needed.

So, here's what I remember from when I was using my 3DS:

- It is a N3DS
- It had a 64Gb SD card
- It had/has B9S
- I ran Rei-CFW because I kept getting exception handler crashes with Luma3DS
- It is on 11.6.0-39U firmware
- I installed Luma3DS version 8.1.1 to NAND (I know this because the configuration screen showed up when I powered it on without an SD card for the first time)

As of now, nothing but factory apps are installed. I would like to get setup with the latest widely used CFW, whichever that may be. I'd also like to get it updated to 11.9 firmware after I get CFW on it. I have a few questions, though, if you guys and gals will allow me to ask you and be patient with me.

1. Do I just use the guide to download all the required files, or can I just grab the latest version of CFW and put that on the SD card?
2. What CFW do you recommend?
3. If I use the guide, can I just use the "Finalizing Setup" page?
4. Is GodMode9 still useful to dump carts? If not, which is the preferred method?
5. Should I update the firmware to 11.9 before or after installing CFW?
6. Can I factory reset the console? The 3DS isn't banned and I'd like to get the NNID I created for my nephew onto it.

I am in no hurry. Apparently when I put the 3DS away, I lost the back coverplate. And although I removed the battery from the console, when I got it out and looked at it I saw that it was swollen. So, I have ordered replacement parts from Nintendo and they will take some time to get to me. The swollen battery holds a charge, however I don't trust swollen batteries and the new coverplate won't fit with a swollen battery.

I appreciate any and all help you can give me immensely. Thanks a million!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you are running B9S, then you really just need to download the latest Luma3DS and you should be good. If you want to keep with the ReiNAND style CFW, there is Rei-Six. We stopped working on Rei-Six, but nothing has really changed and everything is still working just fine on 11.9
Honestly, I say just try them all and or switch between them. There is literally no harm in having multiple CFWs, I would know.
You can just use the files from the last "Finalizing Setup" page
GM9 is still the best and prefered method of dumping games.
Update after because 11.8 broke every CFW. It won't cause any harm to update before, it will only show an error screen until you do update you CFW.
You can do a facory reset, just make sure you have the latest CFW set up first.

D

Deleted-351540

Awesome, thanks @Lilith Valentine.

I want to stick with one CFW for simplicity. As I said, I'm planning on giving this console to my nephew and I'd like it to be as simple for an 8 year old as possible. I'll get my SD card setup for when I get my replacement parts. Then when I do, I'll dump the few remaining game carts I have to CIA's. I'll probably stick with Rei-Six because Luma's exception handler errors left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. After I get it all setup, I'll go ahead and update and then factory reset the console so I can get his NNID on it.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think Rei-Six will most likely be a better option for him, it's really just only the most basic of patches.
The latest versions of Luma3DS are a lot more stable than 8/8.1 were and I almost never encounter an error that I wasn't directly responsible for causing.

emuashui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
update luma FIRST to latest for best compatibility (lower chance of errors),
then update system to latest for best game compatability. (otherwise they will find u regularly.)
Backup the Nand using godmode9 and sdcard content before donating, you know.

D

Deleted-351540

I think Rei-Six will most likely be a better option for him, it's really just only the most basic of patches.
The latest versions of Luma3DS are a lot more stable than 8/8.1 were and I almost never encounter an error that I wasn't directly responsible for causing.
That's the thing... I didn't do anything to cause them and they were random. Homebrew crashed, games crashed. It was awful. I used and enjoyed Rei-Six and if your confirming that it works on 11.9, I will probably go with that.

There won't be much homebrew on it. Just the game carts I've dumped so the kid can just play.

update luma FIRST to latest for best compatibility (lower chance of errors),
then update system to latest for best game compatability. (otherwise they will find u regularly.)
Backup the Nand using godmode9 and sdcard content before donating, you know.
I planned on doing a NAND backup that will reside on the SD card as well as cloud storage and my sisters backup drives. I will also be going over how to restore that NAND and leaving her a typed tutorial should it ever need to be restored.

Thanks for the reminder and added info!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's the thing... I didn't do anything to cause them and they were random. Homebrew crashed, games crashed. It was awful. I used and enjoyed Rei-Six and if your confirming that it works on 11.9, I will probably go with that.

There won't be much homebrew on it. Just the game carts I've dumped so the kid can just play.

I planned on doing a NAND backup that will reside on the SD card as well as cloud storage and my sisters backup drives. I will also be going over how to restore that NAND and leaving her a typed tutorial should it ever need to be restored.

Thanks for the reminder and added info!
Give the newest Luma a try, it's improved a lot since 8.0.

You should follow this to update your B9S: https://3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s.html
And then this to get back FBI and other useful apps: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup (boot.3dsx from https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases is needed on the root of the SD first)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am the official tester for Rei-Six, I can confirm that it works on 11.9. I can also confirm that Luma has gotten better. Personally, I suggest trying both to see which one you think might be best for him.

D

Deleted-351540

Give the newest Luma a try, it's improved a lot since 8.0.

You should follow this to update your B9S: https://3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s.html
And then this to get back FBI and other useful apps: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup (boot.3dsx from https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases is needed on the root of the SD first)
I was unaware that B9S had been updated. I will definitely update it first before I do anything. And thanks for direct links!

I am the official tester for Rei-Six, I can confirm that it works on 11.9. I can also confirm that Luma has gotten better. Personally, I suggest trying both to see which one you think might be best for him.
That's a great idea, trying both to find out which might be best for him. So I will do that. His birthday is April 22nd, so it gives me some time to play around with it and "kid proof" it before he gets it.

Thanks again, everyone. I forgot how helpful the 3DS community is. I really do appreciate it!

D

Deleted-351540

Just updating you all. I've successfully updated B9S and am booting Luma3DS perfectly fine. I've updated the console to 11.9 and used GM9 to dump all my games to CIA files and then installed them with FBI after making a NAND backup. Said NAND backup is safely stored on multiple drives as well as my Google Drive and MEGA account.

I had a scare at first though. When trying to update B9S, my console would not boot with the SD card inserted into the console. It did one of two things: First, it black screened. I followed the troubleshooting page on the 3DS Hacks Guide page, but nothing worked. After that, the console would only flash the power LED and then shut off completely. I ended up booting the console without the SD card inserted and then opened the "Settings" application. While in there, I inserted the SD card and then exited the Settings app. At that point, the Luma3DS configuration screen showed up. I selected the proper options from "Finalizing Setup" and then it booted to the home screen. At that point, I held the power button until I could select "Press to power off" and then did so. And, low and behold, the console boots fine with the SD card installed now. I'm not certain what happened, but I'm glad I got it sorted out.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Muchos gracias!

Edit: guess I'll be switching to Rei-Six. 3 minutes into running Anemone, I get an ARM11 exception crash. This is exactly why I stopped using Luma3DS in the first place. :(

I saved the crash report if anyone wants to have a look at it. I also snapped a picture of it with my phone in case anyone wants to see it.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: emuashui

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users