I don't like SD cards.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Shawn ShyGuy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Shawn ShyGuy
    OP

Shawn ShyGuy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    Massachusetts
    Hello there, I recently lost the lock slide on my SD card, and my other SD cards are broken, due to that cursed slide. I do have a MicroSD, however, and at quite a good size, 8GB. I also have a MicroSD reader I ripped out of an old phone (image below)
    [​IMG]
    I want to like, solder this on to my 3DS if possible (don't want to use SD cards becos above story). I know nothing about modifications, do you just "solder on a reader" or is it more complicated? I'm sure it's the latter but if I can just solder it that'd be amazing.

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    If the lock is missing on the sd card then put a piece of scotch tape over the sd card where it completely covers the slot. Instantly fixes it.

3. Shawn ShyGuy
    OP

Shawn ShyGuy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    Massachusetts
    tried it, didn't work for me.

unless... is the tape supposed to be pushed into the indent or no?

4. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    It should comepletely cover the indent.

5. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    Cut a small segment of a paper clip enough to fill the indent of the sd card and just use tape to hold it there.
    No black magic, the reader just has a contact switch that gets closed when there is no indentation and open when there is.

6. Avalynn

Avalynn I'm here to help poeple out as I can.

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Exactly what NicEXE said, I use a small dab of hot glue when I loose that part. The reader just needs that internal pin pushed in to allow the write function.

This is quick picture of what I mean :lol:

IMG_0521.jpg

Although If you want, you should be able to solder that in, but as for placement and useability I'm not sure. Nothing special needs to be done, just make sure you solder the correct pins as microSD is has one less pin, an extra ground, then the standard SD.

7. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Buy more ?

Pip'