Hacking I broke my NDS--what do you suggest?

mangatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so i dropped my NDS and now it has some issues with its touch screen and some buttons.
about touch screen; its like, lets say you touch upper right of the screen but you get the reaction in the middle of the screen, i think its gotta be replaced with a new one, i dont know. about buttons, i think b button got stuck somehow inside because when you look at it it seems normal, and r button doesnt seem to work at all. i dont know what to do, i may buy a NDSi but not until summer. i dont want to wait to play HG/SS two and a half months, so i guess i need to repair my NDS, i watched some videos about it on youtube unfortunately all videos about NDSLite, i found a good one about how to dissasembly/reassembly an NDS; but it was in spanish, doh.
i need to change its shell, touch screen, upper screen(it has a dead pixel) and buttons, if you had an experience repairing an nds do you suggest me to do it myself or simply buy a new one?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This, perhaps?

You can buy pretty much all the DS supplies at Dealextreme or alternatives to that. And the replacement parts are relatively cheap as well. While I haven't ever cracked open my DS, I'm sure it can be relatively easy with these guides and just require some attention and elbow grease.

Kinda going off on a rant here, but this is the reason I don't buy a new DS. I've had my DS Phat for 4 years and I've dropped it, thrown it, punched it, slammed it, and done God-knows-what to it and it still functions perfectly. It's bulky and not as bright as the Lite or DSi, but the thing is built like a tank.

Well, hope all this helped.

mangatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks but the guide is about NDSlite again, isnt here any differences between NDS an Lite? i mean maybe some cables are replaced, something like that.
and about DX, i cant trust anythint bought from that site, they are all clones/fakes...yes thay are cheap but what if a part doesnt fit its place?you need to buy another one, and it may not fit too, then you will find yourself buying stuff again and again, you get the point right?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
mangatic said:
thanks but the guide is about NDSlite again, isnt here any differences between NDS an Lite? i mean maybe some cables are replaced, something like that.
and about DX, i cant trust anythint bought from that site, they are all clones/fakes...yes thay are cheap but what if a part doesnt fit its place?you need to buy another one, and it may not fit too, then you will find yourself buying stuff again and again, you get the point right?

Now, first off, you ever seen a fat NDS?

from inside they are completely different. The screens are incompatible, the touch screens work in different way and are wired all different. If you go now get NDS fat parts for lite, do not come cry here; THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE

just search the difference where the SL1 jumper is on both FAT and Lite's motherboards to get idea how much things were switched in DSfat and DSlite.

As for dealextree: Yeah, OF COURSE we recommend it just because EVERYTHING is fake and clone - you know, that is the reason we shop there, because we love getting clones...

OK, Irony is off;

You stupid? Nothing Flashcart related is not clone or anything, the parts are third party - yes - since getting them from nintendo is pretty much impossible. They are not the exact same - but for 100% sure, they usually do work, and they even have limited warranty for DIY parts, so you may get a dead-on-arrival part changed.

Dealextreme ships the thing, and it IS what you order, and it DOES work.
God damn - paranoia should be little lowered by people.

If you really do not want third party manufactured parts, buy a new DS - and better: do not break it!

(Sorry for rantsy response but that comment about Dealextreme made it click in my head badly)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JereTHEend said:

No need to rip the guy a new one. DS phat repairs aren't exactly as commonplace as DSL ones (since DSL's are built like crap and have hinges/L and R buttons broken within 2 years a lot of the time). And not everyone cracks open their DS Phat for funsies just to see what the difference is. The OP is just being cautious and wanting to know if he can fix it efficiently or if he needs to buy a new DS. Caution is something that many new posters don't have and it ends up with more annoying topics than this. As for Dealextreme, while you can trust it, it is Chinese based (not being racist, but China is infamous for knockoffs and faulty products, albeit cheap) and it is Chinese based. Still, I would recommend buying from them.

Don't go off on him for being thorough. It's better that he's asking more questions to assure he makes the right choice than to go foolishly ahead, end up with a worse situation, and make a worse problem.

As for the issue, I've searched a bit and there's not really any guides pertaining to DS phat assembly/dismantling.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah.

I would maybe say to look into DS lite guide - DS phat will not be same but you can use same info creatively for it.

The touch screen cable instead of being on other side from screen's place on motherboard rather than going over the motherboard to other side (that is in DS lite)

Also, if it is PHAT ds, be sure to see that the part indeed is listed as "NDS" or "Nintendo DS"

I am afraid that there is no more much of parts available, but just read the description and name well - DSi parts are listed for DSi, DSlite is listed clearly as DS lite or NDSL or so on, and normal DS is - just normal DS (NDS, DS etc.)

It sounds though that the motherboard has been well damaged (possibly) too

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
What experience do you have of repairing electronics? my cousin broke his hinge on his DS original, it ended up in the bin after a few solderes broke, i've got a little bit of experience and when i had a bit of trouble changing the shell of my DS lite though i'm happy with the result (cool translucent blue shell from dealextreme), if you do decide to do a DIY job, make sure you read the reviews on the parts your gonna get as there are some third party crap that are surprisingly good quality, also hows your buttons doing, you might want to think about replacing the rubber underlay while your at it, good luck

*edit
Your DS is f*****d, try playing HG/SS on an emulator untill you get a new DS

mangatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok first of all, thank you all who tried to help, i ordered a shell, a screwdriver and a touch screen replacement from DX, dont really know when they will arrive because of that chinese new year thingie, whatever i will try to repair it myself and see whats gonna happen. then i will write the result here..see ya later

mangatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wallydraigle said:
Did you try to recalibrate your touch screen first?
Oh God I Didnt!!11!!Damn it!!
just kidding, yes i did it in the first place but it didnt work..its like the touch screen slide down to the bottom, inside the shell, i dont know, colours and everything is ok but it wont react where you touch..

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's a shame the location is Turkey. If you were in the US, I'd suggest just trying to get NoA to fix it.

They're major push-overs when it comes to customer service. (I had my DSL 2 years, bought used when the shoulder broke, and with very little on my part got the rep to comp me a free repair and brand new warrentee. Basically all I had to do was ask if she could) I've heard that NoE is not so friendly.
frown.gif

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding the touch screen, have you tried reconfiguring it in your settings? If not, give that a try and see what happens. As for the buttons, might be some minor dislocation. If you get the proper screw driver, try opening it up and investigate it before making a decision on whether or not to buy repair parts. Other than that, might as well start looking on eBay and Amazon for a reasonably priced DSi.

mangatic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Psyfira said:
It's not quite a tutorial, but here's a set of assembly notes written by an absolute star while dismantling a DS Phat to paint it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/inajamaica/93...57594057131168/
(click through the next photo links on the right)
thanks for the link, it will be useful when i get my parts...

choconado said:
it's a shame the location is Turkey. If you were in the US, I'd suggest just trying to get NoA to fix it.

They're major push-overs when it comes to customer service. (I had my DSL 2 years, bought used when the shoulder broke, and with very little on my part got the rep to comp me a free repair and brand new warrentee. Basically all I had to do was ask if she could) I've heard that NoE is not so friendly.
frown.gif

yeah i know...cant do anything about it.

QUOTE(Requios @ Feb 17 2010, 10:36 AM)
Regarding the touch screen, have you tried reconfiguring it in your settings? If not, give that a try and see what happens. As for the buttons, might be some minor dislocation. If you get the proper screw driver, try opening it up and investigate it before making a decision on whether or not to buy repair parts. Other than that, might as well start looking on eBay and Amazon for a reasonably priced DSi.
i 've already ordered and paid for the parts so...if it wont help i will buy a dsi but not until summer..
and on top of that there are rumours about an nds2 or something that nintendo is working on, damn...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents