hypnosis

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by roseputter, Feb 21, 2016.

1. roseputter
    OP

roseputter Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    There was once a story that I heard about a sleeping monster eating magic or something. Does anybody know what I'm talking about here? I feel like it's a story that I've heard of.

Last edited by roseputter, Nov 25, 2016
  2. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Nope, but I've heard of scams where hypnotists claim that their 'hypnosis' only 'sticks' if you listen to their expensive CDs afterwards.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    I'm an amateur hypnotist; honestly I'm still not sure if there's science behind it, or if it's just a placebo effect; either way it seems to be effective.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I don't believe in this.
    But that looks fun.

Seriel likes this.
  5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    The school hired a hypnotist to do a show for my highschool grad party, and he definitely did something to them. It's pretty crazy and hilarious tbh.
    Hypnotism is definitely a thing, though I have no real idea how it works.

Obviously never done it or i'd hypnotize people into making less shitty threads.

6. roseputter
    OP

roseputter Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    For the record it is completely scientifically proven. I don't see why you guys are even bringing up stuff about scams or whatnot.

Tombstoner likes this.
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Look into me eyes, you're getting sleepy... SLEEPY!!!
    When I snap me fingers, you'll stop believing this rubbish and continue with your normal life.

8. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Hypnotism is a thing, it's been proven and can be used in Canadian and US courts as a form of evidence. I went to see one, and the face the guy made when he was snapped out of it was pure confusion. It's not faked.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Mind you, most "Hypnosis" isn't really hypnosis at all, it is done by an individual, not a CD.

Tombstoner likes this.
  9. roseputter
    OP

roseputter Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2015
    I don't know how it came about or anything...

Tombstoner likes this.
  10. Hells Malice
    This message by Hells Malice has been removed from public view by Veho, Feb 25, 2016.
    Feb 25, 2016
  11. roseputter
    This message by roseputter has been removed from public view by Veho, Feb 25, 2016.
    Feb 25, 2016
  12. Touko White
    This message by Touko White has been removed from public view by Veho, Feb 25, 2016.
    Feb 25, 2016
  13. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    That's not exactly true.

Voxel likes this.
  14. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Stage hypnotism? No, definitely not. I do not believe that it is possible to hypnotise a person to do strange things like run around like a chicken or eat an onion and then snap your fingers to 'wake them up' at which point they have no recollection of what has happened. As soon as I see a 'hypnotist' snap their fingers and a previously conscious person drops their head as though they have immediately entered a state of hypnosis, I am convinced that they are a fraud. People who carry out the suggestions of the hypnotist in these situations are either stooges, or are simply going along with the act in order to conform.

Clinical hypnosis is something I have experienced personally. It took a long time to enter the state required, and it was achieved through progressively becoming more relaxed by altering my breathing and listening to the therapist's calming voice. I entered a state where I felt very drowsy, my body felt very heavy, and my mind felt very still. I was, however, fully aware of what was happening and was able to communicate. I knew that I could become fully awake again any time I chose (like deciding to stop snoozing and get out of bed) and in fact I did so while the therapist was trying to gradually lead me back to full consciousness - I just opened my eyes and suddenly felt completely awake.

After the experience I felt very calm and relaxed, and I felt better about the things we had been discussing while I was 'under'. The effects were not long-lasting, however, so I am yet to be convinced that perceptions, feelings or attitudes can be changed long-term using this method.

Games&Stuff likes this.