Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Okay, so I've been waiting on my lego batman to arrive via mail. If I update to 5.5.1 before I install homebrew, what exactly am I locking myself out of?

My main reasons for wanting homebrew are just to play all the old Gamecube and Wii games that I missed out on(like rouge squadron). Appreciate any help.
With regards to Wii and Gamecube games, nothing - the vWii exploits have remained unpatched since the console was released.

The updates mainly affect the Wii U side of the console.

Reactions: jbuck1975

avinashlego

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I've been waiting on my lego batman to arrive via mail. If I update to 5.5.1 before I install homebrew, what exactly am I locking myself out of?

My main reasons for wanting homebrew are just to play all the old Gamecube and Wii games that I missed out on(like rouge squadron). Appreciate any help.

Do you have a Wii? The hacking process for that is incredibly easy and you can easily load gamecube games as well. I can help you out with a wii easily, the only hard part are finding files online which I already have.

As for a Wii U, well...I assume you're on 5.5.0 as of the moment, so there's nothing you can do. Stay on it if you want to play wii/ gamecube games. There will be developers who create applications for the Wii U once the IOSU exploit comes out, and some of those applications will be wii/gamecube usb loaders.

Yeah, stay on 5.5.0 if you want to play wii/gamecube classics.

Sylen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have a Wii? The hacking process for that is incredibly easy and you can easily load gamecube games as well. I can help you out with a wii easily, the only hard part are finding files online which I already have.

As for a Wii U, well...I assume you're on 5.5.0 as of the moment, so there's nothing you can do. Stay on it if you want to play wii/ gamecube games. There will be developers who create applications for the Wii U once the IOSU exploit comes out, and some of those applications will be wii/gamecube usb loaders.

Yeah, stay on 5.5.0 if you want to play wii/gamecube classics.

It's a 5.5 wiiU. I thought the exploits for gamecube and wii games already existed for that? Or am I on too-high a firmware?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's a 5.5 wiiU. I thought the exploits for gamecube and wii games already existed for that? Or am I on too-high a firmware?
All existing exploits for Wii (and GameCube) mode work fine on the latest firmware.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love that he just walks away.....
i'm on 5.5.0. is there much of a difference between that and 5.5.1? or am i in the same sitch as some of these cats.
Stay on 5.5.0. I have a funny feeling Nintendo snuck something nasty into the 5.5.1 browser. (By something nasty, I mean it's possible that the 5.5.1 browser phones home.)

Bkool999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MOD PLEASE DELETE THIS POST

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm on 5.5.0 as well....strange. What region are you in?

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this already, but did you guys know that Hykem developed a PS3 emulator? RPCS3 is its name.
Wait, I was wrong... I double checked, and I can get in the game fine, it just won't update to 2.5.0... But on the bright side, System Update appeared (a Pokemon joke might come to mind, a bad one at that) in Download Management, and the console gives me an error downloading it. :hrth:

Last edited by Bkool999,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes no difference, there's already webkit exploits for 5.5.1 out.

If they did the same thing on the wii u that they did on the 3ds, it kinda does matter.

What he is concerned about is that the browser update in 5.5.1 included the same browser code that the 3ds included in 10.x, where the browser checks its installed version on launch and if it is lower than the one on the cdn it will spit out a "you must update to use this feature" message and prevent you from accessing it. In such a case it won't matter that there is a webkit exploit because once the next browser update comes out we will be unable to use the current one at all.

shibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday I got the update 5.5.1 but I courageously turned off my console during the update. And I'm glad that it did not harm my console because I can still play Xenoblade X and Splatoon with no problem. On the setting menu, my console is still showing 5.5.0 so I think I'm good. But the problem is with the latest Splatoon 2.5.0 update. The game wont allow me to play online unless I update the game. So how do you guys update the game only without getting the 5.5.1 update? Because I'm really clueless...

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they did the same thing on the wii u that they did on the 3ds, it kinda does matter.

What he is concerned about is that the browser update in 5.5.1 included the same browser code that the 3ds included in 10.x, where the browser checks its installed version on launch and if it is lower than the one on the cdn it will spit out a "you must update to use this feature" message and prevent you from accessing it. In such a case it won't matter that there is a webkit exploit because once the next browser update comes out we will be unable to use the current one at all.
Fair point I suppose. We'll have to see what happens I guess.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To make matters worse, the tubehax dns does not appear to be blocking this update. I can confirm I had the dns set up and still somehow ended up on 5.5.1
This isn't a criticism of you, but just trying to emphasise the point to others:

REMOVE. YOUR. INTERNET. CONNECTIONS!

Don't put 100% faith in a DNS. The Hykem exploit includes a boot-time exploit, then we will be relatively safe. Until then, take a break from Splatoon. Play another game for a few weeks.

Last edited by sj33,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't a criticism of you, but just trying to emphasise the point to others:

REMOVE. YOUR. INTERNET. CONNECTIONS!

Don't put 100% faith in a DNS. The Hykem exploit includes a boot-time exploit, then we will be relatively safe. Until then, take a break from Splatoon. Play another game to a few weeks.

Oh without a doubt. I killed that shit as soon as I saw 5.5.1 in the system settings. I was PISSED though.

The problem is the fact that at least two large threads included seemingly very informed initial posts describing that you can block updates by using the tubehax dns. So people come in looking to find out what they should do and when the reach the part about how to prevent updates, they don't see "DELETE ALL INTERNET CONNECTIONS ASAP!!!" they see "Use tubehax dns! It works!" when it clearly does not anymore. Unfortunately by the time you figure out it doesn't work, you are already updated.

DarkJediRey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mainly why my connection here is setup on 5ghz only because the Wii U can't use it at all. Or you could just unplug the console

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Didn't Yellows8 suggest this isn't the case?

"As of 5.5.1 the only HTTP(S) URLs for code-binaries under Internet Browser "code/" are: internal-testing URLs, web-searching, "favorites" URLs, the Wii U version of the browser-filter also used for JPN-New3DS(https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Internet_Browser#New_3DS_Internet_Browser), etc. That is, as of 5.5.1 there's no known Wii U equivalent to the following with 3DS: https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Internet_Browser#Forced_system-update"

Source: https://github.com/yellows8/wiiu_browserhax_fright

Bkool999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The Tubehaxx DNS is working just as it should for me. I even checked for an update. It said "An error has occurred."

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto