Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a Wii U tubehax, or are we just talking about using the tubehax dns settings to block updates? Using those settings, does it also block game updates, or does it allow them?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a Wii U tubehax, or are we just talking about using the tubehax dns settings to block updates? Using those settings, does it also block game updates, or does it allow them?
Tubehax is an exploit on 3DS. We just use that DNS in our connection settings on Wii U to block system updates, which are automatic no matter what you do. The DNS helps block the automatic update entirely.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be like that, he will give us the exploit when it's done, he's in a battle against time and it's not just like it's an easy thing to do.

It would be cool if we can get it on Christmas, but he said that this was a hard task, if he doesn't have it ready please nobody start complaining and whining like crazy.
Sorry if it came off like that. I'm grateful he's developing it at all, no matter when it comes out. I just thought it was funny that he said it would be out around Christmas, like he was banking on a Christmas miracle or something. :P

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We had Christmas yesterday. Where's my leet hax you promised??? This is crap. Lol,,,,
No really though, IOSU does not need webkit to break it. Just maybe the method Hykem is going about it might need userland webkit

There are likely to be very few, if any, IOSU entry points that don't depend on initial PPC code execution.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing iosu is the equivalent to Arm9 on the 3DS. Gain control of it, and you have the whole system. I'm sure it's not that simple though. The WiiU is a bit more complicated then the 3DS since it's a home console with better hardware and what not. :P

I almost want to get a Wii-U now, but right now I can't afford one. :(
It's basically that simple. We will have full access to, say, install a title directly to SD/HDD and run it, while bypassing any security/sig checks. Kernel access is easily available with full iosu access like this.

Last edited by SonyUSA,
Reactions: Rob Blou

tooquick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently on 5.4, I have updates blocked through my router. I know Nintendo released a firmware update last december, worried they will put an update to 5.6. Is it safer to upgrade to 5.5, or wait on 5.4?

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
The general people do not have to know about it as it will just attract unwanted attention and a flood of threads asking stupid questions. @SonyUSA

I honestly did not mean to make a fuss, but based on your reply, you seem quite the emotional type.

There is nothing wrong with the OP posting this info and it is good for people who did not see the original post. Plus, who wants to siff through 100's pages anyway?

The simple answer to unwanted questions is "Don't answer them" Relax;)

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming everything pans out as expected and all FW versions are supported, will there be any functional difference between a 5.3.2 console and a 5.5.0 console? As far as what you'll be able to do with the exploit

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kernel exploit is finished, we just need a webkit exploit to use it.

EDIT: I hope they didn't give up on it.

We don't need a separate kernel exploit because if we have iosu we can easily get kernel access (by unprotecting RAM/checks, etc.)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Assuming everything pans out as expected and all FW versions are supported, will there be any functional difference between a 5.3.2 console and a 5.5.0 console? As far as what you'll be able to do with the exploit

There are no major library differences in 5.3.2 and 5.5.0 -- however, as noted by some on 5.3.2 with version spoof, the updated manual title was missing to make it work properly (with Mario Maker). Aside from that, no major required game libraries are different so... probably no need to server update/go find a game to update to 5.5.0

tyger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The 5.5.0 webkit exploit is what they are working on for before releasing it. Which sounds like a long shot to be accomplished by Christmas to me unless they already have it and are just fine tuning it. Which has not officially been stated by Hykem, only that its being worked on which some think implies that its been discovered. My interpretation is that its being searched for with optimistic eyes. Hope they succeed and if not atleast release it for the now working 2.0.0-5.3.2 versions.

Reactions: MattKimura

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Can I play online with tubehax DNS?

i been playing SSB online for months with TubeHax dns , never any issue :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

will this let me play ps4 discs on the wii u?

yep, and ps3/ps2 buuut i am not sure about psp/vita games :) and it will also let you play 3ds cia's but not .3ds format soo lets look forward to it !

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
But that X icon doesn't show up on the Download Management icon...

it actually should appear, make sure you fill both the dns bars with this "107.211.140.065" for me it appears the red Cross on the downloadmanagement app.

but sometimes it does not appear, but it usually does .

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 5.3.2 exploit already has an "official kernel exploit". If a kernel exploit provides more permissions than an IOSU exploit, would that mean the existing 5.3.2 hack could use the kernel exploit to gain IOSU permissions and not have to use a game either?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
it actually should appear, make sure you fill both the dns bars with this "107.211.140.065" for me it appears the red Cross on the downloadmanagement app.

but sometimes it does not appear, but it usually does .
It didn't appear, but trying to update manually resulted in an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: