Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really hope we get an announcement on 5.5.1 . I kinda want to update some of my games, but I'll wait for an announcement first.

Don't get me wrong, the rule is to never update. See those who were on 5.4.0 and updated to 5.5.0 now the 5.4.0 have all access to homebrew thanks to the mp4 exploit.
But yeah, it depends what you want more, eshop access or sooner homebrew access.

yahoo

G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless Hykem has a totally different entry point than stagefright ;).

He said it was stagefright already:

Yes. People are confusing this a lot. The final goal is to make a joint release for the latest firmware.
That will be a browser exploit as entry point (based on the Stagefright bug), a PPC kernel exploit (not necessarily the one we currently have, we are always looking for new ones) and an IOSU exploit (the bug I'm currently attempting to exploit should work up to 5.5.0).
The IOSU part will probably be obfuscated to delay patching.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, your hope is narrowed those on 5.5.1... unless Hykem found other entrypoints in the last couple months, I no think you'll have access to a hack on 5.5.1 soon.
It's best that way, hope should not be had for those on 5.5.1 that will only lead to more disappointment. It's best anyone on 5.5.1 doesn't update any further and play the waiting game without any expectations.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you just want to pass the time talking bollocks we have a shoutbox, IRC chatroom, EoF or PMs. Threads must stick to the topic at hand.

From the Terms and Rules:
Stay on topic; posts that do not may be removed. If you wish to discuss a different subject take it to the proper thread.

barnhilltrckn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you just want to pass the time talking bollocks we have a shoutbox, IRC chatroom or PMs. Threads must stick to the topic at hand.
First post here but thank you for this. I made an account the other day just so I could make a post like this but decided against it to keep drama down. I have never seen more self entitled, immature bs anywhere else like what I see here on a daily basis. Hopefully someone puts it to a stop soon.

PamiPumiKyun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To anyone who answer:

What happen when a new game using a higher firmware appears? Can a new game use libraries only available on higher FW? I'm asking here cause someone said the exploit would allow to downgrade.

Another: Somewhere I read the Wii had a way to go online even with a custom firmware and all that, and in another place I read someone got banned for using that trick and when called Nintendo, they said he/she had "something" installed (the HBC). Again, will this exploit allow for online features?

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
To anyone who answer:

What happen when a new game using a higher firmware appears? Can a new game use libraries only available on higher FW? I'm asking here cause someone said the exploit would allow to downgrade.

Another: Somewhere I read the Wii had a way to go online even with a custom firmware and all that, and in another place I read someone got banned for using that trick and when called Nintendo, they said he/she had "something" installed (the HBC). Again, will this exploit allow for online features?
IOSU will allow online-play, you won't get banned though unless you use cheats. (Of course we can't say with a 100% certainty but it works that way on 3DS and to my knowledge this is not diffrent for Wii U)
Downgrading is absolutely useless when we have IOSU because we have everything you can get on older FWs and the latest libraries. A new game can however use newer libraries than are in 5.5.0 (if an update with new libraries is going to be released 5.5.1 is not that update) but due to IOSU allowing emuNAND this can be upgraded to the latest version with the latest libraries without losing 5.5.0 (and this IOSU) on sysNAND.

Last edited by MRJPGames,

gamer4lif3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could u still get emuNand if we still need to use the userland exploit to load iosu every reboot or do we need what he was looking for a boot exploit?

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Could u still get emuNand if we still need to use the userland exploit to load iosu every reboot or do we need what he was looking for a boot exploit?
Yes, much like the 3DS which used to not be able to auto-boot into emuNAND will also work, but due to the fact IOSU is still not released Hykem is either still looking into the boot exploit or is finalizing it, as he said in his post that he would release IOSU immediately if the boot exploit wouldn't work out.

Quotes speak louder than words:
So, I've got good news and bad news.
The bad news is that I'm going to postpone the release again. I said this week would be a more realistic release date, but I never confirmed it would happen then. Still, it's not a huge delay and it's definitely not to wait for a new firmware update.
Like I stated before, I have the entire month of January free just to work on this and the exploit will be released and maintained before February (yes, I'm sure of that).
Now the good news, which should explain the additional delay. I need some time to pursue something I found in the MCP module. If I'm correct about this, we should be able to get a boot-time exploit. The reason for that is that the MCP module is responsible for launching "master" titles (like the PPC kernel, for example) and I found a bug that, if it turns out to be exploitable, should allow to hijack execution while MCP is still preparing to launch stuff. This means, early IOSU access and a direct boot into an exploitable environment. Not to mention that MCP is the IOSU user module with most privileges (next to BSP that is) and having access to it alone is more than enough to own the IOSU kernel at any given time.
I believe it's important to look into this because if it works, no one will have to worry about possibly bricking consoles by installing custom titles (homebrew channel, for example) and then attempting to launch them before triggering the exploit again after a fresh boot.

With that said, if this turns out to be nothing, I'll release the exploit right away.

soniczx123

Trophies
XP
Country
IDK if this has been asked yet but um... has anyone heard from Hykem in the last week or so? Twitter seems to be dead and his profile says he was last here on the 2nd.

Everyone is asking the same question mate. Hykem seems to be the lonewolf type and only comes online when he needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello!