OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hyena, audiogame player released
Choose your own adventure goes modern
Jens Andersson (Jesse at GBAdev) has released Hyena.

Hyena.jpg

Hyena is an audiogame player which acts very similar to the choose your own adventure books you may have played at some point.

It possesses touch screen support and perhaps more interestingly the ability to close your DS and use only a shoulder button to play.

download.gif
Homepage and download (39.4 MB)
DLDI required and due to size of games FCSR is unlikely to work.

It comes bundled with the fantasy title Lone Wolf - Flight From The Dark, by Joe Dever and Gary Chalk.

Homepage and download for html version (this version requires pen and paper while the PC Hyena should be automated like the DS)
icon11.gif
here

icon11.gif
source: GBADev thread.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a truely impressive work in my opinion (right up there with meteora, moonshell, lmp-ng, amplituds, puzzlemaniak and co. even at this first release stage). Admittedly I am biased though as I like choose your own adventure books.
The synth voice is a bit robotic (not quite amiga levels) and dynamic loading is a bit noticeable but has that not always been the case with this sort of thing?
The DS version only comes with the first book of the series ( http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books ) and I do not know where to get/how to make more (a cursory scan of the .hab file shows a fairly standard packing format so I imagine it will come up at some point).

Sorry about the lack of GBAtemp download but even 7zipped fairly harshly I was only able to get it down to 36 Megabytes.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! These were great! I've got most of the Steve Jackson book ones, inbcluding that second expanded series that he did.

Now to see if we can dump our own into this app, and if maybe the Tunnels and Trolls stuff can be adapted to work with it as well. (Tunnels and Trolls from Flying Buffalo had a bunch of solo "modules" as well, a fair chunk of which got made into a PC, Tunnels & Trolls Raider of Khazan or something like that. Flying Buffalo is STILL selling the game! On a floppy?! No box though, just a zip-loc baggy... The game is kind of rough as it's possible to insta-death characters and AFAIK there is no resurrection, and I never did figure out how the characters were stored such that they could be restored manually, but some day I'll get around to looking again as I started a game and got pretty far, but got pissed off when one of my good chars bought it, meaning that I get a new level 1 n00b to drag around unless I can "fix" him.

Game is EGA with a pseudo windowing mode system plus mouse(can be played by keyboard). The game itself is MSDOS based, and was developed in Japan. (One of the few Japanese PC games that I've ever seen.))

Sherv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man LONE WOLF!!! Man, that series and the other one with the wizard kid, Grey Star (?), were awesome to play...granted I was a lot older, like 11...but so much fun!

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh man, I used to read/play those Fighting Fantasy ones by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone! I loved those! I went through all of those in my library when I was a kid
smile.gif
I wonder how this little app works....

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oooh my god, Lone Wolf is one of the best book series I've ever read! I've even been working on my own adventure book series since I enjoy writing and have my own little fantasy world in my head
smile.gif

I'mma try this one out just because it comes with the first book of the Lone Wolf series - Flight of the Dark...
Damn I'm gonna have to read/play through all of those again some day. Been a couple of years since last time I did that.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Both...? If I just want to listen and interact is that possible too? It'd be great if I could use this to entertain myself while walking/cycling/doing something else that makes it impossible to stare at a screen.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Glacius0 give it a go but it talks into your ear (with headphones, speakers otherwise) and you are given choices like click five times (or hit said button with the stylus) for whatever option you want (normally only two or three though).
I am not sure about cycling (I like my ears around for that anyhow, especially in Holland) but walking/working and such definitely.

Jota.Ce

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah~it runs well on my card~
a good game.I suggest you play it with Headphones:-)

Lucky guy, on my M3 DS Real it's not working at all! The only thing that appears is the DLDI confirmation screen and then both screens go black, no sound no anything... And yes, I've installed both Hyena.nds ant the Audio Game folder. Suggestions?

C3NTY64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.radio-ninty.co.uk
XP
Country
Are you running the newest firmware? Or perhaps you could try redownloading incase it somehow corupted.

Works a charm on the CycloDS Evo and is a bloody brilliant piece of software.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...