Gaming HTML

teenprogramming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a book about HTML 4, but don't know whether to learn about it know or wait for HTML 5 to be finalized (a few years, I believe for it to be finalized). If I do learn HTML 4, what is different between HTML 4 and HTML 5? Don't want to seem to ask a lot of questions, but should I learn HTML (web programmer) or software engineer as a future career (like working hours, salary, because recently, it seems like people believe the web is going to take over everything, with operating systems becoming obsolete).

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Er, the way it seems, HTML5 is becoming more and more prevalent as years go on so I would say just start learning the basis of that now, but I really don't know. I still think HTML 4 as a easier learning point, then just expanding into the main differences used in 5.

As for the differences themselves:
http://diveintohtml5.org/
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-html5-diff-20090825/

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
HTML isn't even programming at all. It's not a programming language, it's a markup language.

The differences between 4 and 5 aren't nearly as big as you think, 5 is the next version of the spec, it builds off of 4, most of what you learn in 4 is applicable in 5.

1 - Learn the basics HTML4 now. NOW. Like, ASAP.
2 - Learn some CSS. 2 or 3, doesn't really matter, it's the same deal with HTML, 3 builds off of 2.
3 - Go onto some actual programming language, like Javscript, or a server-side language like PHP or JSP.

Not only is HTML not the only language (by far) used to build web sites, it's not even a programming language, so you're a lot further behind on your studies than you think you are.

Get started NOW if you want to have a good base for the future.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I think he's referring to the rumoured Google Cloud OS, an OS that runs directly off the internet and doesn't need [many] files on the computer/smartphone itself. Last I heard, it was deemed unviable with current technology, although maybe when 4.9G is available with roaming data speeds of 30+Gbps anywhere on the planet, they'll think about it again.

EDIT: Just remembered, it wasn't Google but some random research team I read about in a newspaper a while ago.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
I think he's referring to the rumoured Google Cloud OS, an OS that runs directly off the internet and doesn't need [many] files on the computer/smartphone itself. Last I heard, it was deemed unviable with current technology, although maybe when 4.9G is available with roaming data speeds of 30+Gbps anywhere on the planet, they'll think about it again.

EDIT: Just remembered, it wasn't Google but some random research team I read about in a newspaper a while ago.

No, it was Google, and it was Chrome OS, and they did deem it unviable, but someone made an OS like this that runs on the Linux kernel. It's called Jolicloud.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
I don't think that operating systems that you have in mind OP (windows, mac os, various linux distros, other) will be made obsolete for a very long time if not at all :S. Good luck with HTML though

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could I suggest you learn XHTML strict instead of HTML4 strict/transitional ?

XHTML is HTML4 but with more strict way to manage tags :

Always declare the document type on the first line of your source, ex. :

A tag always have to be closed :

Working on HTML4, but not in XHTML/HTML5 :
[*] text
[*] text

working in X and 5 :
[*]text

the closing order of nested tags have to be in the reverse order of the open sequence :
italic_bold and not [/i] italic_bod [/i]
(edit : yes, Xhtml don't use and , it was for the easiest example
tongue.gif

and for text effect, css is the only way in HTML5. So take the habit to not use any font effect in the html sources, prefer css for that)

Xhtml has some rules over what you can write, and were, between which tags, etc.
HTML5 will use these restrictions too, and have a lot of removed tags from html4, so I think it's better that you don't learn it the wrong way, or you will have to rewrite a lot of webpage later.

You can check your webpage conformity with the W3C validation :
http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri+with_options
same for css :
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#valida...ri+with_options

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
HTML and CSS aren't too hard to learn, wait till you get to javascript
hate2.gif

I'd do XHTML strict, like Cyan said.
There's no and in in that though, you'll need to use and stuff for that (and make sure the CSS turns it into the right effect).

Overlord Nadrian said:
teenprogramming said:
operating systems becoming obsolete
wat

You need an operating system. Always. Doesn't matter how small it is, you need one.
I guess it depends on what you call obsolete.
If obsolete means "very small and rarely used anymore", then it could count here.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Originality said:
blahChrome OS was never deemed unviable. Heck, there's even a god damn Google netbook coming out in a few months.

http://technbiz.blogspot.com/2010/11/chrom...on-further.html

QUOTE(tj_cool @ Nov 20 2010, 12:43 PM) I guess it depends on what you call obsolete.
If obsolete means "very small and rarely used anymore", then it could count here.
The operating systems themselves will always be used. You can not access the internet without using an application to do that, and to use an application, you need an OS, even if the application itself is the OS, as in Google's OS.

Also, there's Chromium OS for those interested in Chrome OS, it's pretty much the same thing except that it's open source.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I know about Chrome OS (CustomPC had an article on it a few months back) and that's not what I was referring to. Neither is Jolicloud which is based on Ubuntu Netbook Edition.

The newspaper article was on a research project for a 'cloud' based OS, which basically ran off the internet and had very few files actually left on the HDD. There are 2 obvious problems with this kind of OS for the time being - firstly, the speed of the internet simply isn't fast enough to 'stream' an entire OS with full functionality. Secondly, should the computer/laptop ever lose connection, it would also lose all functionality. That's why they deemed it unviable with current technology.

There's no replacing the current main OS's available - Windows, Linux and MacOS, although I am looking forward to seeing Chrome OS in action.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh, that. Well, you still have an operating system on your computer, even if most of it is somewhere else entirely. You can never, in any way, get rid of operating systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone