Hp Laser Printer?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by kevenka, Aug 29, 2009.

Aug 29, 2009

Hp Laser Printer? by kevenka at 4:29 AM (811 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. kevenka
    OP

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So...Is a laser printer like a ink jet but we buy "toners" instead of ink to get the printer to work? Also, is there really such thing as a "color laser printer" because I would really love to get one of those... I am sorry these are nooby questions but I am not very up to date with technologies and how they work [​IMG]
    Any help would be appreciated! Also, any recommendations would be appreciated!!!! I am a recent college student and would really love to get my hands on a long lasting printer =]
    Thanks!
    Kevin

2. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Yes. Laser Printers use toners. And yes, they're available in colors - I have one.

If you print out lots of documents, just get a black and white to save up on money. Or, you can have a color and use it whenever color's needed and set everything else on black and white.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Colour laser? They exist and as of about 5 years ago they are more or less in the affordable range (some of the first "consumer" grade machines would cost as much as a decent second hand car).

The way they work, you have the right idea and toner is the main "consumable" item in printers but a more detailed explanation:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm

Recommendations, I tend to buy in older stuff and fix it up or buy stuff for a purpose (say one that will work under linux or something) so I am probably not the person to ask here.

4. kevenka
    OP

United States
    Thank you guys! I really think I'll try to go with your second recommendation incase I really want color...Thanks Fast and anakir!!! Your words of wisdom to a nooby like me is always appreciated!
    Thanks again!
    -KEvin

5. kevenka
    OP

United States
    I know this is bad, but can someone tell me what do they mean by # ppm? (ei. 16 ppm) b/c I am trying to pick out a printer, but these details...I don't know what they mean =/

6. Hardkaare

Member Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Ppm means "pages per minute"

7. kevenka
    OP

United States
    Thanks OMFG!!! Much appreciated!