Gaming How well will this processor perform

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've decided to man up and build my own computer. I have already ordered all of the parts except the motherboard, graphics card, and cpu. Are Intel i3 processors capable of being used with a GTX 460? And how do they do with overclocking and gaming and such? Thanks for the opinions.
Link to processor

omgdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should perform very well, here's some benches:

Gaming Bench
Overclocking Bench

Shouldn't have problem with a GTX460.

Also, on a side note, Sandy Bridge, the new Intel lines comes out on Jan. 9th, which will bring out the new 1155 i7's, i5's, and i3's. Although the i3's won't be out for another month, if you want you can wait a bit for the price of the 1156 processors to drop, or just get a Sandy Bride processor.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Wiki has different dates for the Sandy Bridge release. Either way, it's better to wait and see how the first wave performs before buying any current generation Intel CPUs.

Games tend to be more GPU intensive than CPU, so any Core 2 Duo or PhenomII X2 can do somewhat well in games when paired with a good GPU.

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Also, on a side note, Sandy Bridge, the new Intel lines comes out on Jan. 9th, which will bring out the new 1155 i7's, i5's, and i3's. Although the i3's won't be out for another month, if you want you can wait a bit for the price of the 1156 processors to drop, or just get a Sandy Bride processor.

As I don't have enough money currently to buy the last three parts. So waiting isn't a problem. =) Thanks for posting the benchmarks by the way.

QUOTEGames tend to be more GPU intensive than CPU, so any Core 2 Duo or PhenomII X2 can do somewhat well in games when paired with a good GPU.

According to a chart I found on a site, the i3 beats the Phenom II x4 by somewhat in performance. Also the intel motherboard I'm looking at is a really good price.

omgdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Wiki has different dates for the Sandy Bridge release. Either way, it's better to wait and see how the first wave performs before buying any current generation Intel CPUs.

Games tend to be more GPU intensive than CPU, so any Core 2 Duo or PhenomII X2 can do somewhat well in games when paired with a good GPU.

*shrugs* My work has them street dated for the 9th, and looks like most places have it for the 9th as well, oh wikipedia...

And true with the graphics, heck, I'm still running a C2D at the moment and playing every game maxed out pretty okay.

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
According to a chart I found on a site, the i3 beats the Phenom II x4 by somewhat in performance. Also the intel motherboard I'm looking at is a really good price.
That's because most games are still only dual-threaded. The i3 will be faster running these programs, but many games are starting to use 4 threads, such as Bad Company 2.

OP, if you don't want to wait, although the i3 will do, you should at least look into a quad i5, such as the i5-760. Remember, it's easier to upgrade a video card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.