Hacking How unbrick Wii Mini?

Phantom-Ant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a mini wii, I want to hack it, but I only have controllers with wii motion plus.
I wouldn't want it to be bricked ...
But I have a bad feeling, in the case, how unbrick it?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a mini wii, I want to hack it, but I only have controllers with wii motion plus.
With a NAND backup and a hardware flasher.
Not much chance of that happening though. There are only a few ways to brick a Wii that you might run into, either by incorrectly messing with system menu or system menu IOS. The latter is something you would only do if you wanted to load installed WADs from the SD card menu, but a much better way of loading games from SD is with an emuNAND through a USB loader. And the former is something you would have to do to install Priiloader, which protects you against the third type of brick: A banner brick, caused by installing a WAD with a bad banner. I've never encountered a WAD with a bad banner as people seem to have figured out how to do them correctly a long time ago, but it could happen. It also provides some patches like region free and allowing normally non-copyable saves to be copied. But you could do the latter with Savegame Manager GX so that's not strictly necessary.
Installing Priiloader should be pretty safe but make sure you set it to autoboot system menu, as if you sync your only Wiimote to another Wii or device or it somehow gets desynced (shouldn't happen though) you can't navigate the Priiloader menu to select system menu, as the Wii Mini for some reason has no reset button. Syncing Wiimotes doesn't work in the Priiloader menu apparently. But the reset pins are still on the board so you could open up the Wii Mini and bridge them which should act as an "enter" press in Priiloader. No point in doing that if it can be avoided though.
Someone came up with another method that doesn't require opening the Wii Mini that makes use of a bluetooth adapter on a PC to spoof the Wii's MAC address and syncing the Wiimote to it. That way it will think it's synced when you next try to connect it to the Wii. Rather of a hassle though since it requires Linux to run.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Vorde

Phantom-Ant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I want to install with bluetooth, but is it possible that brick during installation? And if so prevent? (Or if is too late unbrick?)

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to install with bluetooth, but is it possible that brick during installation? And if so prevent? (Or if is too late unbrick?)
The chances of bricking it are extremely low, but this is the risk to getting into modding of game consoles.
I started as a child and didn't even think about bricking things, I've modded numerous systems and I've only managed to brick 2 and I got both up an running. With that being said, I now own a way to hardware flash things, so if something does get bricked I have a way to restore back with a NAND backup.
I'm not familiar with the Wii Mini but I've modded 20 or 30 Wii's (used them to run game tournaments) and it's a very simple process. If you're nervous just double check things before confirming them.

Convey12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I doubt you will brick unless you like install a wrong theme or wad. Now that I think of it, does BootMii support Wii Mini?

namek247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so there is no way to unbrick a wii mini?
i´ve managed to install the homebrew channel by linux machine but then i installed several wads and now the wii turns on but has a black screen.
i managed to install priiloader (if it helps)?

can anyone help?

namek247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok but unfortunatly i installed a different priiloader version.
So is there absolutly no other way to unbrick the Wii mini?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: Alexander1970

namek247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've added the reset switch but no priiloader menu. The screen remains black. Is the a diferent step i'm not taking?

Ghostrider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so there is no way to unbrick a wii mini?
i´ve managed to install the homebrew channel by linux machine but then i installed several wads and now the wii turns on but has a black screen.
i managed to install priiloader (if it helps)?

can anyone help?
foer what i know bc i have a wii mini you bricked bc wii mini can t install wad files

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i did it with a wii remote + controller and it went very well

Reactions: Alexander1970

Nattsudd78

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've added the reset switch but no priiloader menu. The screen remains black. Is the a diferent step i'm not taking?
I am in the exact same situation. Hacked the Wii mini, got it running Homebrew, but had issues with games not running properly, installed wad package and it bricked. Installed a reset button as discribed here . But still nothing but black screen.
Has anyone been successful in unbricking a wii mini in this situation?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am in the exact same situation. Hacked the Wii mini, got it running Homebrew, but had issues with games not running properly, installed wad package and it bricked. Installed a reset button as discribed here . But still nothing but black screen.
Has anyone been successful in unbricking a wii mini in this situation?

Are you sure:
  • You have installed Priiloader?
  • It's the old Priiloader requiring holding (Reset) on power on – instead of also supporting holding (Esc) on USB keyboard?
  • You have connected the (Reset) button correctly? → Please provide photos.
  • You didn't reinstall the System Menu with the WAD package? → This would overwrite Priiloader and a System Menu for non-Mini version of the Wii will surely brick as it searches for WiFi chip and black screens if not found?
If you have a NAND image, or at least dumped the keys, you Wii Mini might be salvageable with a hardware programmer (requires very advanced soldering skills). Only worth the effort if you have sentimental reasons to stick with the particular console and/or want to extract save data.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse