How to use controller for mouse?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by bradzx, Sep 10, 2012.

Sep 10, 2012
  1. bradzx
    OP

Member bradzx x-Darkie-x

United States
    I am still don't get it that my friend did use game controller for mouse. How did he do that? Can anyone tell me how to use setting for mouse to use controller? So that I don't need to use mouse all times.

2. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
  3. bradzx
    OP

Member bradzx x-Darkie-x

United States
    ...I hate my brain so much.

4. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
  5. DaggerV

Member DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

United States
    I use XPadder personally, though there are tons of apps out there that can do that.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Joy2Key's my preference.

7. 1NOOB

Member 1NOOB GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i use pinnacle game profiler , but i bought a licence .

8. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My brother uses Joy2Key to control his computer and play games; he's essentially paralyzed, but he can still move his fingers, and a mouse just wasn't feasible. Luckily, a controller mapped just enough buttons for him to get by when grasping a mouse proved too dextrous for him to manage.

1 person likes this.
  9. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I used to use joy2key to map joystick inputs to keyboard for emulators that didn't ( or partially ) support game controllers. I didn't try my hand at it for years.
    But yesterday out of curiosity I re-downloaded it ( v3.79 ) and configured my 360 controller to play standard shooters ( like Doom 3 and Fear 2 ) that don't support controllers.
    It works fairly well, I mapped all the generic WASD keys and mouse to the left and right analogs, and the most common used keys on the face buttons and triggers.
    This way I was able to play a bit of Doom 3 on my telly in 1080p while relaxing on the couch, not bad !

I was actually wondering if anybody wants to share their joy2key profiles, or if there is any site out there with downloadable profiles for different games.

10. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's a little difficult to give out profiles because what represents your joystick, for example, may not be the same as mine: so if I give you my profile, my input mat not be recognized the same as yours.

I have the mouse-movements set to 50 vertical and 80 horizontal, and they seem pretty good. Sadly, I can't get them to work like actual controllers, where less pressure means slower movement, and more pressure means higher, but I usually use my mouse for aiming/looking anyways :P (and the controller in my left hand--could never get over the WASD).

As for button configs, I actually realized that you only need one designated gaming profile. When you have a new game, just make sure 1) your gamepad isn't recognized by the game (so many games now assume you want to use Xbox controls just because you have an Xbox controller) and 2) you have every button mapped to its own key. Then when you customize your keys in-game, pressing the button will set the key you want, so you don't manually have to set each key for each button separately (the button will set the key for you, if that makes sense).

However, there's still a bit of fiddling you can do with manually setting keys in Joy2Key that's handy. For example, I almost always place sprinting and activating on the same button, which means in Joy2Key saying button 1 is both 'sprint' and 'activate' keys. So pressing Button 1 would emulate two different key strokes. It's a bit handy for getting the most out of your controller; sometimes I add on reloading too, though I usually keep that for my middle-click.

1 person likes this.
  11. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I recommend Xpadder. It's customizable to every last detail and very responsive.

12. BryceOne

BryceOne Newbie

Yea, I recommend XPadder as well. Works with any controlller, and you can program multiple button/key combos and everything.