How to un-hack the Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Freudian Lemur, Apr 5, 2009.

Apr 5, 2009

How to un-hack the Wii by Freudian Lemur at 9:31 PM (1,712 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Freudian Lemur
    OP

Member Freudian Lemur GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The main problem here is I need to remove any evidence of hacking from it, ie. homebrew channel, firmware modifications, game tickets that Nintendo wouldn't approve of, etc. My Wii's drive is becoming unreliable with Smash Bros Brawl. I remember Nintendo saying some Wiis wouldn't be able to read the dual layer disk and need a new drive, which they would provide (this isn't what I need help with). Any help you could give regarding the removal of (evidence of) unnofficial software would be appreciated.

2. resistor

Newcomer resistor Advanced Member

Spain
    you cant remove all evidence, and considering that now they coould update your wii to 4.0 and no homebrew channel perhaps its better to use the dvd5 one or load it with usb loader. I think as far as the drive works it will work

3. Dodi

Member Dodi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've heard/seen that they have released a lense cleaner for the Wii.
    If I were you, I would get myself one of those and keep your Homebrew stuff.
    Maybe ebay? [​IMG]

4. msab13

Newcomer msab13 Member

United States
    For what its worth, I had the same fears when I needed to send my Wii back. Had nothing but a black screen so I couldn't remove anything. I even replaced the bluetooth module thinking that was it, so it was obvious that I had been inside the unit since I tried to remove a few screws without the tri-wing screwdriver. I had no choice but to send it back. All I removed was the SD card, but still had HBC, backup loader and a few other homebrew channels. When I bought the system it was on 3.3u, I downgraded to 3.1. I got the Wii back in 4 days, no questions asked, repair ticket said board was replaced, so everything was gone and it was shipped back with 3.3U firmware again..I got the Wii back about 3 days before 4.0 came back. The return address was from a generic electronic's repair place in Syracuse NY, so these places might not be reshipping with 4.0 yet??

5. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    im sure if u send it in now it will be at 4.0 and pretty useless [​IMG] stick with usb loader (get the dvd9 on a usbstick for example)

6. Freudian Lemur
    OP

United Kingdom
    Damn... and I'm pretty sure that a lens cleaner won't help. Some Wiis actually just have trouble reading dual layer discs of which SSBB was the first one.

7. daroga

Newcomer daroga Member

No, he's right. Get the lens cleaner first. The Wii's drive is just sensitive to dirt when dealing with the double layer discs. Everyone I know that was having trouble was fixed with it.

For only $10, you might as well give it a try before losing everything.

8. Freudian Lemur
    OP

United Kingdom
    Aye, not a bad idea. Just a standard lens cleaner or were you guys referring to some kind of special Wii one?

9. Lookie401

Member Lookie401 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  10. Davedom

Newcomer Davedom Advanced Member

United States
    Just an idea:
    you could use the USB loader to run Super Smash Bros.
    that way it doesn't us the disk

11. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    actually, the wii is extremely easy to take apart and clean. just order yourself a triwing screwdriver online for a few buck (less then $5 at dealextreme, free shipping) and clean it yourself. I did, now mine reads Brawl fast as hell.

12. Freudian Lemur
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just ordered one. Many thanks!

13. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    No problem. here is a video showing how to take it apart as well, its the one i used.

How to disassemble a wii

Just remember, be VERY delicate on the lens, and use a high % rubbing alcohol (75 and up)

(sorry, edited, i posted the wrong video, the link is fixed)

14. Freudian Lemur
    OP

United Kingdom
    Woah. I wasn't planning to clean it like that, just use the official lens cleaner thing. Thanks though.