Gaming How to tighten my wireless local lan?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Hi,

I have a local lan network that broadcasts internet and my local network. I shared it with a neighbor so he can use internet but I'm afraid that he could access my shared folders too. My systems are two windows 7 machines and one xp and I use WPA2-PSK and made my router not to reveal my network name (not to broadcast it's name) so how can I fix it?

and how can I disable the $ hack? like if you know one of my machine's names, like computerA, you can access all it's drives, like for C and D you would write \\computerA\c$ or \\computerA\d$ !

tnx.

p.s. I'm using workgroups, maybe renaming my workgroup name from default Workgroup? I'm bad at networking.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Windows 7 is pretty OK when it comes to locking out shared folders from anonymous network access. I have just tried accessing my Father's drives and even with his username and password it fails because it uses my own computer as the domain name.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The $ "hack" are actually called "Administrative shares". Trying setting an admin password for the hidden Administrator account (plus any other admins) or if you prefer http://www.petri.co.il/disable_administrative_shares.htm (similar things for 7 I imagine somewhere)- a lot of basic/OEM installs do not do it and if you nlited something you might not have set a password there either.
Workgroups can be "bypassed" in matter of seconds for a linux machine (my standard SMB scan brings up a bunch) and might take a reboot for a windows machine if it acts up and you need to join it. If however you uncheck "use simple file sharing" somewhere (tools pulldown menu -> folder options) it should prevent sharing. You might also be able to set something in a firewall depending on the one you are using.

You could also go different subnets if you really wanted (a bit dry/complex but gets it done http://www.ralphb.net/IPSubnet/ipaddr.html ).

After this we start getting into router settings (tying IP addresses and relevant subnets to mac addresses and such like- stick your neighbour on another subnet (or kick all yours to another subnet) and barring you forwarding ports it is effectively another network) or setting up proper networks with the former being unlikely to happen on your little home router and the latter being annoying to use unless you are playing at a high level.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's because his brain is plugged into Wikipedia, the British Encyclopedia, the Discovery Channel, and possibly some classified military and research networks.

Or possibly because he has a PC and some equipment and uses them very well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: