1. LEGOMYEGGO

OP LEGOMYEGGO Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    for a long time i dreamed about being a youtube rapper and that dream is about to come true today's my b day and I got a microphone but I honestly don't know where to start i got a couple of song ideas but what application should i record myself with? and what should i use to edit my music?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The standard free and open source audio editor is
    https://www.audacityteam.org/

Some dislike it (usually those that want to edit a podcast in it) but if you are chopping bits out, overdubbing yourself, playing with a backing beat and doing basic effects for a 2-5 minute song then it is perfect for it.

3. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I used ableton live to create drum and bass tracks with a few sony sample packs.

4. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Abelton's nice for beginners, and I recommend fl studio for when you're more advanced

5. 2short

2short GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Audacity is 20 years old and was never made for music editing. It's for audio editing, which it still does quite well. But for music, I'd NEVER go there.

If you want to get into making music, Ableton Live is definitely the way to go. It's very user friendly and you can find loads of tutorials online. It does everything any other modern DAW does, with maybe the exception of being kind of crap if you want to work with sound/music for video (although it does that too). As for FL studio, sure it's fine too, but not more advanced than ableton live :) If you want more advanced, you'd probably have to look at Logic/Cubase/Pro Tools. Although, like I said, Ableton does what they do just as well, more or less.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  6. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    I agree with the suggestion of Ableton, especially useful for the genre you're looking at getting into. I would also recommend checking out REAPER for general multi-track editing, mixing, and mastering.

7. alexander1970

Austria
  8. 2short

2short GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Reaper is great too, it's more or less free and is similar to Logic/ProTools/Cubase. BUT all of those are daunting to newbies, which is why I always recommend Ableton Live to beginners. I've been working with Ableton Live for 12+ years now, and I do all my production/mixing/mastering in it.

9. aadz93

aadz93 GBAtemp Official Psychonaut

Korea, North
    Well I had previous music experience, so I know how to read sheet music, timescales, difference between bass clef and treble cleft,

Band class back in school paid off ig

You need a good sense of sound, resonance, and good sense of rhythm and pattern

It's something that takes practice

I recommend learn to play piano, you can play any instrument, plus most software will use a "piano roll"

Practice
    Audacity (post "production", splicing audio, clean up, fade in and fade out, also great for converting audio formats)
    FL studio (fl studio mobile for Android/iphone v1.3.1) ableton live (actual music production software, paid software, unless you're a pirate)
    Patience

I'm no musician, that's what Alexander1970 called me

Last edited by aadz93, Mar 10, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim and alexander1970 like this.
  10. aadz93

Korea, North
    Last edited by aadz93, Feb 26, 2021
  11. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    I can, and hopefully it's helpful. I'm mainly a guitarist and bassist, and when I first started recording things, I used Garageband on Mac. It's free, very easy to get a hang of, and pretty powerful for what it is. That being said, it is exclusive to MacOS, which is uh.. Problematic for most people. When I had to switch over to a Windows PC, I got a copy of FL Studio from a friend who wasn't using it, and it's what I recommend, hands-down, the best DAW I've used. However, it's stupid expensive. Like, real stupid. You could "obtain" a copy of it, wink-wink, nudge-nudge, but if you're uncomfortable with that, look into REAPER. I've used it briefly, and while it's much less polished than FL Studio in my opinion, it's still very powerful, has a very generous trial, and the full version is incredibly cheap for a DAW like it. There's a lot of notable people who use it, and it's been compatible with all the software, and hardware I've thrown at it.

Another option you can go down is just record your raw vocals in something like Audacity, and have someone else produce you. I'd be willing to write and record instrumentals, and do mixing/mastering. You can check out my Sonudcloud and see if anything I've written appeals to you (Check out Powder Snow, it's one of my personal favorites) and we can work something out.

12. aadz93

Korea, North
  13. TheGrayShow1467

United States
    I disagree. FL Studio is great for either beginners or experts. Not saying that Ableton is bad and should be avoided, it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe it's because the workflow in Ableton feels obtuse to me? I dunno. In terms of cost, FL is your best bet. The most expensive edition of FL Studio (All Plugins Edition) is $500 while Ableton Live 11 Suite is $750. If you wanna know the best version for either one, go for either Signature Edition of FL or Ableton Live 11 Standard.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - creating, start, music