How to spot a fake Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by YoshiInAVoid, Mar 30, 2014.

1. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    I am making this thread because of the large number of people who are unsure if their card is real or a clone.

Quick Check

[​IMG]

From the official Gateway team:
    Also note that some real cards will have the Gateway logo written in black whereas other real cards will have the logo slightly tinted blue. Same goes for spring loaded micro sd card slot, some have it, others don't. The only sure way to tell is from pin size, as above.

Symptoms

What can a clone card do and not do? The fake Gateway cards were working fine with all versions of the official Gateway firmware until yesterday when Gateway released a new version called Omega to private beta testers (which has since been leaked).

On attempting to run Omega firmware with a clone card, you will be presented with either "Please enter the red card" (or something similar), or the update will fail very early on.

What to do?

Gateway recommends to:

2. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Damn those pesky clones...

3. Prans

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    The official Gateway team message says clone cards have a smaller middle pin, while the picture indicates the contrary...

4. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    The word is shorter, and that's indeed correct:

5. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    In one of the videos I was watching this morning on here (about FPGA updating card to OMEGA) and the user showed in a mirror an LED flashing various colors during the update process. My Gateway looks legit according to the checks above, but it has no LEDs... is that right? I followed the GW update tut's and OMEGA is working perfectly FYI.

6. ATypicalSe7en

ATypicalSe7en Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    United States
    I'm sorry but I am kinda confused here; I have a Gateway that looks exactly like the first picture the one that says real but instead of a Black logo mines is tinted blue. Do I have a clone? I brought mines from realhotstuff from the gateway site reseller section.

7. qUaK3R

qUaK3R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2007
    It probably is, I've seen some resellers making their own stickers at some point. If you were able to update the card with super hyper alpha omega update, you're good to go.

8. Mira

Mira GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Italy
    glad mine's real then.
    anyway they should look for differences in the box too,sometimes your unable to just "unbox it to make sure"

9. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I don't understand this. I got my Gateway from the ONLY official Australian retailer. And it matches the fake picture. I think it's noteworthy to mention that my card successfully updated via FPGA with OMEGA 2.0. It doesn't have a spring loaded SD slot.

Any Aussies want to chime in here who bought from the same place?

10. ATypicalSe7en

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    United States
    Damn I guess I'll have to wait 1-2 days until Gateway release it to the public still I'm going to contact Realhotstuff to see what is going on and why I got a possible fake.

11. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Mine is definitely tinted blue (not 100% black), the pin is longer, and the stickers are wonky as hell. Mine also doesnt have spring loaded slot, or an LED's when updating FPGA.

Got mine from seller on EBAY uk, from CANTON CHINA.

Pics:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

However it updated to omega just fine.....weird..??

12. qUaK3R

qUaK3R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2007
    Sorry, I meant "it probably is REAL" xD

ATypicalSe7en likes this.
  13. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    You do realize the pin is the gold part, right?

shamzie and ATypicalSe7en like this.
  14. ATypicalSe7en

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2013
    United States
    I knew something was weird as I looked at their old official videos and notice it was the same as mines lol Pheww now I can rest easy knowing I don't have to go through the trouble of replacing it.

Although I think most people think the pins are the Blueish/little greenish parts though which confuses people.

15. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    conspiracy: maybe they made a second version of the card and they are telling the old version is fake so you need to get a replacement new one

its a genius marketing idea for having a gateway 2.0 without telling people they made a second version and will not support the older version of the card

bowser likes this.
  16. shamzie

shamzie Oh David de Gea <3

Mar 19, 2014
    Manchester
    I'm very confused, I guess the confusion will go once I update, (I've got the files I'm just holding off updating for now) according to the visual checks my pin (the gold part) is longer, It has the springload for the MicroSD, It works fine so far but It's definitely tinted blue, does this mean It's fake? I think the colour variations are probably for different regions but It can't hurt to ask!

17. nvidia5500

nvidia5500 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2008
    United States
    I too have a bluish tint on the Gateway logo but matches the pins. No issues when updating to 2.0 beta and so far no issues encountered.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

18. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    don't trust on the stickers, gateway sends the cards without the stickers. usually they send the stickers as a separate thing and resellers apply them, resellers sometimes just print themselves...
    this is what i heard

19. YoshiInAVoid
    OP

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    I've updated the article about stickers and spring loaded micro sd slots. I've also removed the broken image.

20. wiibomb

wiibomb GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    I bought mine from eachmall some months ago ( last november I think) but mine has the larger pin and has the blueish tint in the stickers, don't think it is precisely a clone...

oh and it looks like this too: