how to remove background noise from video...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by baffle-boy, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010
  1. baffle-boy
    OP

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i need to remove background noise from some video clips (while still keeping the person talking) i tried audacity but it just gives weird screeching noises. i'm trying to use adobe audition but even after i "capture the noise profile" there is 3 different noise reduction effects and none seem to work (but they do have like 3485y45438956 weird options)... if anyone can tell me a good program top use, and HOW to use it... that would really help.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Audio noise then (noise in video is a different matter), there are various types of noise.

Alas TV/film has probably lied to you and removing noise tends to fall into the "so I can make it out" category rather than "so I can hear a mouse fart two blocks over". Back in reality true noise reduction is a tedious process you could spend all day on and get 10 seconds done- this is probably evident by the "3485y45438956 weird options" and none seem to work.

Personally I would go back to audacity and clone the audio (twice to give you three "tracks").

Now the thing about noise is that it is random (this is especially true of my arch nemesis wind noise- I do a fair bit of work with head/bike/car mounted video), however my favourite trick here is overlapping inverted noise with the inverts having a high and low pass cuttoff done to them. Without knowing exactly what noise you are speaking of- wind, construction, background talking*, cars.

*as most human voices are in the same pitch range this gets very difficult. Secondly if you tweak the voice too much it sounds odd to everyone listening as the X years of life is usually good listening practice.

It is fairly simple really
    open the track (preferably with any cuts you want done already done)
    copy it
    paste it twice

Select one track (I usually keep the top one as the main/untouched track) entirely and click the effects pulldown menu.
    Repeat for third track.

If you play it now with just the original track and a single inverted track nothing should come out of the speakers beyond speaker hum: sound is a wave and if you play back a perfect invert the amplitudes cancel out. You can fiddle with volumes and whatever else to bring is back if you want but that will not do anything yet.

Select a track again and press the effects menu, high pass and low pass filters are in the bottom section of the menu there. Play with the options according to your noise of choice (you might even get away with only needing just a low pass or just a high pass depending on your noise)

It will sound less than brilliant though so play with the little volume sliders so get it sounding acceptable to your/your targets ears. Remember you also have a "solo" button which can give you instant original track so you can compare.

3. baffle-boy
    OP

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    thanks a lot for the help... but audacity seems to dislike the format of my videos or something... they are simple mpegs recorded by my crappy camera, but the wave it shows is all wrong and all i can get is screeching... at first i thought it was playing back to fast, but that didn't stop it either. i'll just deal with the noise and leave it as is...

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Your camera is haunted.