How to open .arc files? (MH4U)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by holyluigi, Nov 11, 2015.

1. holyluigi
    OP

holyluigi Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2015
    Gambia, The
    After beeing able to extract the romfs I have tons of .arc files and don't know how to open them.
    Would be glad if someone could help me ^^

Last edited by holyluigi, Nov 12, 2015

2. EpicMario50

EpicMario50 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2015
    United States
  3. Februarysn0w

Februarysn0w School Idol Festival

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    you cant open these arc on EFE. I have a script for this.
    I will upload the py ASAP.

4. holyluigi
    OP

holyluigi Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Oh cool :) Thx for that. I already tried various programs (including EFE) already but all of them said "nope"
    Notify me when you had the time to upload this or just post the link in here. I have nothing more to do in MH4U so I wanted to go nuts on some other stuff ^^ (Waiting for MHX release and my import to arrive somewhere in december XD)

5. Februarysn0w

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka

Here it is.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B6305612E3C95FBD!686&authkey=!APr7U9cKfAbWSuQ&ithint=file,7z

unzip then you can find named "MH4G_ARC_UNPACK.py"

Chakratos likes this.
  6. Demonslayerx8

Demonslayerx8 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2011
    United States
    how do u use it exactly? im dropping the .arc file onto it.. but nothing happens .-.

edit:
    nvm.. i feel stupid by not seeing any new folders xD

Last edited by Demonslayerx8, Nov 13, 2015
  7. Februarysn0w

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    using with command. I leaved this for few months ago so Im not exactly remember how to use.

I think the original source is here.
    https://github.com/svanheulen/mhff

8. Demonslayerx8

Mar 17, 2011
    United States
    yee.. any idea on the texture files tho?

and the script even works on super street fighter IV 3D edition too... but it doesnt seem to unpack every .mod file (especially the stages)

9. Gryphon93

Gryphon93 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 30, 2008
    How interesting. I've been working on a few tools for Ace Attorney Dual Destinies which might apply for other Capcom games as well. I've made an .ARC extractor and a TEX to PNG exporter.

The tools are Ruby-scripts right now and they are not polished in any way. I can upload them for you if you want. Beware that I haven't implemented any packing functionality just yet, since I've been mostly interested in unpacking the formats at the moment. I'm actually planning on making a real tool for TEX files, but I just finished documenting the format, so I haven't started on that yet.

10. Demonslayerx8

Mar 17, 2011
    United States
    i'd love a tex to png honestly!! there's also some .tex files in smash3ds also.. would it unpack those as well? just a bit curious xP

11. Gryphon93

Nov 30, 2008
    I have no idea. I haven't taken a look at the .tex files from Super Smash Bros. 3DS. I have only been working on the TEX files found in Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. However, if the TEX files in Smash Bros. uses the same format as the TEX files in Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, then sure, it would most likely work. I don't know how likely it is that they are the same, since the same extension doesn't mean the same format. ARC is a good example of this. I don't know how many ARC formats I've seen up until now and every format has been different.

Btw, I borrowed my brother's copy of MH3U for 3DS to see if I can use my tools on the files in that game.

Last edited by Gryphon93, Nov 13, 2015
  12. Demonslayerx8

Mar 17, 2011
    United States
    hmm i see... want me to send u some examples?

13. Gryphon93

Nov 30, 2008
    I own a copy of Super Smash Bros. 3DS so I might take a look at it later, as long as it is possible to dump the RomFS with braindump.

14. Demonslayerx8

Mar 17, 2011
    United States
    hah alright... and should be, but ur also gonna have to unpack the .dt file too.. which is located somewhere on this site

15. Gryphon93

Nov 30, 2008
    You can send a PM with a TEX file from Smash if you want me to take a quick look. I can determine whether or not the format is the same as the TEX files from Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.

16. LITTOMA

LITTOMA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    No, EFE doesn't support Capcom's arc.

17. Talexius

Talexius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2014
    Mexico
    I could extract them. With a hex editor you can see all the texts.

Februarysn0w likes this.
  18. Gryphon93

Nov 30, 2008
    I've now checked some of the .tex files in MH3U and (unsurprisingly) they use the same format as Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. I'm happy that there are a lot of .tex files that include more information on the last bit of the format that I haven't really figured out yet. Hopefully I'll be able to work out the information and complete the documentation.

I'll upload what I have made up until now soon. The tools are not well documented and optimized because I used them to analyze the format. I've plans on creating a "real" tool for .tex files soon, but no promises.

Februarysn0w likes this.
  19. Februarysn0w

Oct 31, 2014
    Mino city Osaka
    could you tell me how to extract the tex on hex editor?

20. Talexius

Talexius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2014
    Mexico
    Sorry, I said texts no texs