How To Nuke A 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xenon Hacks, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    So just like my PC I like to clean it out every once in awhile and do a fresh install but how would I go about this? Simply formatting my SD is simply not enough I want this thing to be like when I first turned it on is there any logical way to do this? I have a NAND mod and Cubic Ninja at my disposal if that helps?

2. Ante0

Ante0 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Format SDcard and restore a clean nand dump.

3. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    The dump is not "clean" titles other than system titles have been installed along with a linked NNID, I lost my original Nand dump from a system crash a year ago.

4. pbanj

pbanj The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    System format does a pretty good job of returning it to out of box state

5. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    But dont previously installed titles stay somewhere on the nand?

6. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    There's no really true way of "virginizing" a console short of hardmodding and dumping from before everything started.

Your best bet is to use the new FBI to delete tickets for installed titles. (this however doesn't really delete tickets as much as it does mark them to be overwritten). After that I assume you can probably just format the console and that's about as good as it gets.

Though it gets slightly a bit more complicated if you have say A9LH installed. If you're attempting to go back to even before that, your best method is either writing back a NAND backup prior to A9LH, or if you have an emuNAND, flash that back to sysNAND.

7. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    Don't think so. I did a system format on a 3ds I sold and he wasn't able to redownload anything. Not even the game that orig came with the system. If you want to be extra sure and have a nand backup from before you did anything just flash that after

8. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I wish I still had my original dump :(

9. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    Well I read that the newest FBI can delete tickets so you could try that. Not sure if true as I didn't look into it

10. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Nand restore, format sd, delete .bd allocations, count the number you delete and fill that count with your essential cant live withouts (properly made), be more selective in installing 'improperly' made cias.

Fresh system, clean as can be today .db.