How to make homebrew

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Beerus, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Beerus
    OP

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    hey guys i was wondering where is should start to make home brew apps for 3ds i got nothing to do and i want to make a summer project i know some java and python (high school level)

2. Beerus
    OP

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    forgot ?sorry!

3. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
  4. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    You seem to lack programming experience, though correct me if i'm wrong. Without this knowledge, you have no way of coding 3ds homebrew applications. You could attempt to learn, but it is a very long and difficult process. If you cannot follow the link on setting up a dev environment, i would suggest giving up, but you can really try if you want to. Also, please do not bump your own thread, especially within the first hour. Somebody will eventually answer it. If nobody does, that means nobody has the answer.

Beerus likes this.
  5. jockep

jockep GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2017
    Don't give up, if you are really interessted you can learn. Start with some c/c++ basics om PC there's plenty of tutorials then slowly move on setting up your environment and learn what ctrulib has to offer.

Beerus likes this.
  6. JustANoob;)

JustANoob;) Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    United States
    Computer
    If you want to program homebrew, first you'll need to learn some C, and follow https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_Development_Environment.
    You will probably want to look through some example codes also; check the examples folder that comes with devkitARM.

I would recommend just using the console at first as it is set up with the template code. This gives you a chance to learn C basics like the syntax and variables and all that, and just use printf to visualize everything. This is what I've been doing to try and learn and it seems to be working for me. Then maybe try modifying the more complex example codes and see what happens?

For C tutorials I'd say use http://www.cprogramming.com/ and then just Google anything else you need.

Beerus likes this.