N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I was getting tired of not having icons for every GBA game on my AKAIO it really bugged me so I tought other people may be having the same people and decided to find out how to make icons and make a guide about it so other people can make there own custom icons and the never have to suffer threw this like I did
hate2.gif

The Image
Okay so first you need to find and image google is a good place to find these images. The only picture formats I tested are jpg,jpeg,png, and gif and the one that failed to load was gif so you cannot use gif format.

What you will need

You will need to use this website for the icon : http://www.genfavicon.com/

You will need to download a program to format these pictures : http://www.gimp.org/windows/

You will need : computer (duh)

You will also need : the picture (duh again)
What to do

Step 1 : First of all you need the image (google is your friend for pics), to check what the format of the picture check the end of the url here is and example of an image that would work notice the end : http://pokemondb.net/images/sprites/diamon...al/rayquaza.png

Step 2 : Next you go to http://www.genfavicon.com/ and type the url of your picture and press upload which your image is displayed in the box at the right side of the screen.

Step 3 : Now you have the option of moving the square and shrinking it or enlarging it to fit the part of the icon you desire
laugh.gif

Step 4 : After that you select the size which always has to be 32x32 and click capture and preview and you just click donwload : jpg, jpeg, or png

Step 5 : Now you got your image and you're ready to use GIMP
toot.gif
and you open GIMP or GIMP 2, which ever one you got and hit file and then clik on open and select the image you got from genfavicon.com

Step 6 : Now that your picture is open all you have to do is hit fle again the click on Save As after this it will open another window and you will choose Select File Type (By Extension) and it will open another window
glare.gif
and you click on Advance Options and under the 16 bit header you check the box that has this : X1 R5 G5 B5 that will format your picture so it works on AKAIO or Wood R4.

Step 7 (for AKAIO uses) : Now all you have to do is name it the same name as the GBA rom for example : Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (U).gba is the rom and Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (U) is the picture. After that place the image in the same folder as the GBA rom and now you have your icon
gbasp2.gif

Step 7 (for R4 Wood users) : Okay name the bmp file the exact same thing as the GBA rom including the .gba so the rom is Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (U).gba and the bmp file is Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (U).gba, after that just go to the __rpg folder then go to the icons folder and place the bmp file there and you're done
gbasp.gif

Now go play those GBA games and be happy
gba.gif

My GBA Icons

Here are are the icons I made but there is a problem if you use one's with black you might be able to see threw it one the AKAIO or WOOD menu if anyone knows how to fix this please pm me thanks : GBA Icons

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaara. said:
Heh, thanks for this, I've been wondering how to do this for a while!
happy.gif

Best regards,

Gaara.
You're welcome it took me a really long time to figure how to make these icons and I'm glad someone appreciates the work I done
happy.gif

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Have somebody made complete GBA icons pack? I found one on Filetrip which actually had correct filenames (yay!) and very good quality icons but it's not even near complete.

Of the instruction: Is genfavicon actually necessary? I think Gimp has pretty good cutting and shrinking options on itself.

If someone can't find good pictures then good places are sprites from games and Google the game name and search 240x160 size images.

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NIZ46 said:
I am stuck after I click on file type by extension, there is no advance options or headers saying 16 bit. I have GIMP2.
Are you using any other format picture besides jpg, jpeg, and png on favicon because you can only use does to get the 16-bit header hope this helps
happy.gif

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario92 said:
Have somebody made complete GBA icons pack? I found one on Filetrip which actually had correct filenames (yay!) and very good quality icons but it's not even near complete.

Of the instruction: Is genfavicon actually necessary? I think Gimp has pretty good cutting and shrinking options on itself.

If someone can't find good pictures then good places are sprites from games and Google the game name and search 240x160 size images.
I don't think anyone has made a complete pack of gba icons because i think that would take a really long time but I made some icons for the popular games I'll try to upload them as soon as possible.

QUOTE(DunkrWunkah @ Aug 2 2010, 02:27 PM) I'll try this once I get back from vacation. Where do I put the image for M3 Real?
Icons won't work for the M3 Real sorry I wish they did thow that would be so epic
cool.gif

NIZ46

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I want to change a non GBA icon, ie homebrew or SD card etc. is it the same as the above guide for where to save etc I am using wood r4

Lumnous

Trophies
XP
Country
someone should make a webpage or something with a collection of GBA and DS custom icons, i wouldnt mind changing a few but im not talented with pixels at 32*32

Lumnous

Trophies
XP
Country
NIZ46 said:
If I want to change a non GBA icon, ie homebrew or SD card etc. is it the same as the above guide for where to save etc I am using wood r4

For the wood r4 which i have
biggrin.gif
i put the icons in icons folder but what you need to do is this

Instead of the game name.bmp like Lemmings DS.bmp .you need to put this for example;

Lemmings DS.nds.bmp

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
@ NarutoFreak, nice looking GBA icons, though i think your guide is over-complicated. Theres actually an excellent icon creation guide at the AKAIO wiki that (iirc) Cannonfoddr put together.

I figure you just overlooked it (along with others in this thread it seems), but there is a stickied topic here for akaio custom icons, with -2- 3 big ol' GBA packs, a HB pack, and a file extension pack.

Anyways, its nice to see some new options for icons, so i added a link to your pack to the stickies OP.
Now yer creations wont get lost in the quagmire of daily posts here =)

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VatoLoco said:
@ NarutoFreak, nice looking GBA icons, though i think your guide is over-complicated. There's actually an excellent icon creation guide at the AKAIO wiki that (iirc) Cannonfoddr put together.

I figure you just overlooked it (along with others in this thread it seems), but there is a stickied topic here for akaio custom icons, with -2- 3 big ol' GBA packs, a HB pack, and a file extension pack.

Anyways, its nice to see some new options for icons, so i added a link to your pack to the stickies OP.
Now yer creations wont get lost in the quagmire of daily posts here =)
Oh sorry I never could find a guide and thanks for adding my icons
happy.gif

NIZ46

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think this guide is great, and for me easier to understand than wiki page. Well done and thanks!!!

PS can the sd icon be changed in wood r4?

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NIZ46 said:
I think this guide is great, and for me easier to understand than wiki page. Well done and thanks!!!

PS can the sd icon be changed in wood r4?

If you mean gba icons theres is an alternative part 7 for WOOD R4 users that tells you how to change it QUOTE(NarutoFreak @ Jul 18 2010, 10:25 PM) Step 7 (for R4 Wood users) : Okay name the bmp file the exact same thing as the GBA rom including the .gba so the rom is Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (U).gba and the bmp file is Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (U).gba, after that just go to the __rpg folder then go to the icons folder and place the bmp file there and you're done
gbasp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay