How to make a wifi forwarder?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Kippykip, Apr 27, 2013.

Apr 27, 2013

How to make a wifi forwarder? by Kippykip at 6:43 PM (2,157 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Kippykip
    OP

Member Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Australia
    Sounds odd, but is there a program/setting where I can use
    *computer connects to modem wirelessly
    *computer makes another hotspot
    *ds connects to computers hotspot which connects to wireless hotspot

i'm asking this because I'm using wpa, and ds obviously doesn't support that so can I make my computer a host which has no security (No wep etc) and if you connect to that, it forwards to this pc>modem

Doesn't make to much sense but is this possible?

2. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It is possible, but your pc has to have a compatible wireless card to make a hotspot, and it probably needs to be wired to the modem unless you have two wireless cards or one that can handle being both receiving and sending out an internet connection.

edit: I can't be much help with the specifics, but yeah, it's possible.

You can either

PC to router, wired
    PC uses it wireless card to make access point (no security)
    DS connects to PC which is shared to router

PC to router, using built in wireless card
    PC uses a USB wireless adapter to create the access point
    DS connects to that

Very rarely can one card do both jobs, unfortunately. :/

3. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    Possible. I've done it before. Used a laptop.

4. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    You need a wi-fi USB dongle that can create an access point if your computer doesn't support it.

link
    Just an example, you should be able to find one cheaper than this.

5. master801

Member master801 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are you using a laptop or a desktop?

6. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why not connect your DS to the normal hotspot instead of through your computer. So far the only hot spot capabilities a laptop can have, if made in the last 3 years, are incompatible with the DS.

There's a program called Connectify. It only works on Windows 7 and 8, and XP but with limitations. It allows for your laptop to become a WiFi access point. Problem is, the Access Point mode has to use WPA encryption. There is no way to disable that. The other mode is Adhoc mode, which supports WEP and plain connection. This mode is the only one you'll see if you use XP, but all modes, Access Point, Ad-Hoc (WEP), and Ad-Hoc (Plain) can be seen on 7 and 8. But while the DS will be able to see the Ad-Hoc mode connection, it'll only connect with Ad-Hoc, meaning local only. I've tried it first hand, and the DS refused to connect to the internet. It's Ad-Hoc connection is typically seen for games, and so the firmware is unable to see it as an internet connection.

Now, you can also make a Linux system be a bridge, but it too would be able to make an Ad-Hoc connection. Again, the DS wouldn't be able to get online. You're only bet is to temporarily disable or change the router's wireless security to something the DS can use. Otherwise, you're not getting on any time soon.

The only way you can do what it is you're wanting is through a 3rd party Wifi Dongle, like one you can find on the Action Replay website, or something from Nintendo.

7. Kippykip
    OP

Australia
    Started doing ad hoc just before! (Using 2 wireless usbs ;)
    However new problem! all my devices can connect to the ad hoc (POSSIBLY EVEN NEIBORS O.O)
    anyway everything connects to it fine, it even shows up on the ds! but it won't connect with error 51300 :c

8. Kippykip
    OP

Australia
    because its WPA and this our 'family' network, don't want to mess with our real internet

Desktop using 2 wireless usb adapters (Ethernet will not reach from here!)

ALSO SORRY IF THIS IS DOUBLE POSTING ADMINS!

9. Squirps

Member Squirps Official Squirps of GBATemp.netâ„¢

United States
    I'm in the exact situation you are in as well; my internet security is WPA-PSK2, but since the DS only accepts WEP, you can't connect your DS directly to the router. I had the same idea that you had, so I tried using Connectify. Connectify allows your Win7 computer to be made into a hotspot (provided that it is already connected to the internet. Unfortunately, I've had no success with this method; since your "host" is WPA encryption, your hotspot must ALSO be WPA encryption for some reason. (At least, that's what I've found from my own tests.)

I still am unable to play DS games on my DSi, which sucks major balls. If anyone has a solution, that would be awesome. :D

10. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The DS error is because it can't connect to the internet using an Ad-Hoc connection. It has to be an Access Point connection. I said it's not possible. I tried before and it gave the same error. You have to connect directly to the access point. And if you can change it, then you only have to temporarily change it then change it back when your done. That, or you can see if you can make a virtual access point on the router with WEP. I did it with my router and was very successful. Just required a lot of hard work and some guides to figure out.

So you either need to change your connection, or you have to buy a 3rd party dongle from Nintendo website or GameStop. http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/ds-wii-wifi-usb-adapter/43201

11. master801

Member master801 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Use Virtual Router! It takes your internet and makes it into a hotspot and you can make it into a WEP connection!

12. Kippykip
    OP

Australia
    What am I supposed to do with 'shared connection' I select my main one and it says:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT:
    Ok, somehow I got it to work, shows on my other computers and can connect! WOO!
    But the virtual router is.... wpa.... GOD DAMN IT!!!

EDIT 2: I just changed my internet to wep :P solved

13. digitalgames2013
    This message by digitalgames2013 has been removed from public view by Costello, Aug 19, 2013.
    Jun 26, 2013