How to Jailbreak/Unlock iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by saison, Feb 8, 2011.

Feb 8, 2011
  1. saison
    OP

Member saison GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Past 3 days I've tried a lot, but I just can't get this working. Baseband is 04.05.04_G-4.6_M3S2, but I didn't see that within the unlock ranges in that stickied guide.

I've tried just jailbreaking with redsn0w 0.9.4 with the 3.1.2 firmware, but it just hangs on the reboot screen. I've tried the disconnect and reconnect usb cable, and that doesn't seem to move it along.

Right now it's stuck at the emergency call screen and I have a T-Mobile SIM card. Any suggestions? I really want this to at least go back to normal mode and run off of T-Mobile again :/

Thanks in advance (:

1 person likes this.
  2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It sounds like you have an iPhone 2G, not an iPhone 3G. (Not sure if you've made a typo or not, though.) Are you using the correct IPSW?

If that's not your problem, you may need to downgrade iTunes. It's possible that redsn0w 0.9.4 doesn't work (as expected) with newer versions of iTunes for Windows. (A version of iTunes near 9.1 should definitely work.) Be sure to back up your library files prior to downgrading, to avoid loss of content.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. saison
    OP

United States
    I'll try downgrading my iTunes first. And yeah, I have the right IPSW. As to whether or not it's a 2G or 3G, in redsn0w, the Unlock box didn't show up, so I think I'm 3G...

4. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    you have a 2g if you bought the very first iphone, 3g was released afterwords and let's you use the 3g network and gps. so you should now be able to tell the difference

5. Dialexio

United States
    Unfortunately, you can't really go like that with unlocked iPhones in the United States. T-Mobile's 3G network in the United States broadcasts on frequencies that the iPhone (all iterations at the time of typing) can't pick up. So either way, all iPhones with T-Mobile in the US are stuck with EDGE.

The iPhone 2G has a flat, mostly aluminum back, while the iPhone 3G has a curved plastic back that's either black or white.

6. saison
    OP

United States
    Idk about aluminum, because it's not shiny like my old iPod. It's more of a light gray, with a reflective silver apple logo on the back.

EDIT: Downgrading iTunes did not assist me.

7. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Deffo an iPhone 2G. That is all.
    [​IMG]
    That is an iphone 2G. That sounds like exactly what you have. As for going about unlocking, I dunno but now you know what you're looking for.

8. saison
    OP

United States
    Hm, okay thanks (: In like 10 more minutes I'll try using the 2G IPSW then see how it goes...

EDIT: Okay, used redsn0w and my phone is indeed 2G and the jailbreak worked. I got past the emergency call screen. But then I tried opening up contacts I think it was, my phone did something, now the bottom bar is like dithered gray (oh, the apps just disappeared and that's the bg of the dock). And I only have 4 apps: YouTube, Stocks, Weather, and Voice Memos.

What happened? [​IMG]

9. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Reboot? Dunno what's happened if its still playing up then restore again

10. saison
    OP

United States
    Okay, I restored and then jailbroke it again with redsn0w. I think once it was finished syncing for about the third time in a row on iTunes, it erased my apps once again. This time I only have YouTube. Weather, and Voice Memos though :l

11. Dialexio

United States
    Odd...

Check your PM inbox; I've sent you a message. [​IMG]

12. saison
    OP

United States
    So this question may be obsolete in an hour or so, but after jailbreaking with redsn0w, I was able to start Cydia for a little bit. Then some error came up. Now it just hangs at the Loading Data screen. Something go wrong?... Again. Haha

13. maximus12

Banned maximus12 Banned

India
    both jailbreaking and unlocking an iphone is born together steps for iphone. once you jailbreak your iphone you need to unlock it. jailbreaking your iphone can be done only through your current software version which your phone has. it may be of redsnow/cydia/yellowsnow.. what ever it may be the following are the steps for jailbreaking. this link http://mobiputing.com/2011/12/how-to-jailbreak-an-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad-with-ios-5-0-1-untethered/ shows you how to jailbreak the iphone using redsnow. the same steps follows to other softwares too only thing is the software differs. after jailbreaking your phone you need to unlock it. you can unlock it using softwares or some other methods. if you ask me i will say remote unlocking is the best way to unlock iphones. to get this service you can contact Unlocking4U.com or some other providers who provides this service.

14. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Fuck off, no one is going to fall for your shitty scams.