Hacking How To Hack Wii Console For Dummies /Easy Installer

ZakMcRofl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the work but I beliebe I found a mistake.
Wii is PAL 3.1E.
HBC installed fine but when I skipped the three steps that are supposedly only neccessary on 3.3 and 3.4 the 4. Downgrader would not work, instead the Wii resets.
So I did steps 1 and 2 (IOS16-64-v257-prod and Cios_fix) and tried again, it worked. I didnt do step 3 (3-IOS Downgrader).

I will continue with the other steps now.

Wasp_Box

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jytach,

I think we are talking at cross-purposes. I know I need to upgrade to 3.2 to run Starfall. I have no doubt that your solution will work - I had already identified it as a possible answer.

My point is that at least two guides state that the use of 4-Cios Downgrader 1.2 is all that is needed to get to 3.2 if you are starting from a lower version than 3.3. This does not seem to work for me (on 3.1) or some others.

The trouble with relying on an initial upgrade is that, eventually, Nintendo may be able to block any attempt to downgrade. This is why I was looking for an alternative solution - to advise anyone who is presently on 3.1

I think I will just bite the bullet and do the upgrade as you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: ZakMcRofl seems to have an alternative answer!

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wasp_Box said:
Jytach,

I think we are talking at cross-purposes. I know I need to upgrade to 3.2 to run Starfall. I have no doubt that your solution will work - I had already identified it as a possible answer.

My point is that at least two guides state that the use of 4-Cios Downgrader 1.2 is all that is needed to get to 3.2 if you are starting from a lower version than 3.3. This does not seem to work for me (on 3.1) or some others.

The trouble with relying on an initial upgrade is that, eventually, Nintendo may be able to block any attempt to downgrade. This is why I was looking for an alternative solution - to advise anyone who is presently on 3.1

I think I will just bite the bullet and do the upgrade as you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: ZakMcRofl seems to have an alternative answer!

If you are scared about nintendo blocking you, check the recent nintendo updates on wiibrew to see if there is any known issue with them =)
You should always do it before updating manually.

Wasp_Box

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I know. I'm not scared of updating - I'm just trying to find an answer that doesn't involve updating. I'll try Zak's solution and let you know.

Platinum*

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jytach said:
Platinum* said:
well, as you might have noticed, no one has arisen with a proper answer to my question, so I'd guess that i'm still at the same point.
moogle.gif

As you might have noticed, there are many pages until your posts, which are not clear btw, and it's perfectly normal to try something else when waiting for an answer. Also you might have noticed that many people are asking for help here, so nobody will read all your posts.
Stop being sarcastic and answer our questions if you want help.

wow your so cool
rolleyes.gif

I obviously don't have answers to these questions which is why i'm asking a question my self. I help as much as I can and I do as much as I can. instead of wasting a comment on criticism of my posts you should be taking your own advice and helping people, trying to shed the slightest light on their dilemma.

Anyway, I tried fixing the connection. It was fine and it didn't change anything. I re-did the installation and nothing changed. I don't see anything else to do aside from starting from the very beginning but I don't see how something will change if I follow my steps.

Wasp_Box

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like Gorilla had the answer too. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.

gorilla said:
The directions should be changed to better show what to do with lower versions like 3.1u. They are still misleading and most people won't read this whole thread.

You don't NEED to upgrade to 3.4 from 3.1 then downgrade to 3.2. Its possible, but doing this part...

QUOTE said:
+Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
Yes, even if you have received errors trying to install other wads this should still work.

+Load Custom WM in Homebrew Channel and install cios_fix.wad
You cannot install this wad with Wad Manager. This is a custom wad manager designed to work for IOS16.

Then step 2 works just fine for people doing this from 3.1 versions.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I installed the HBC on a friend's Wii a while ago, and since than he disregarded my warnings not to upgrade to 3.3 v2. 3.4. The backup loader doesn't work now (I did install CIOS but I never got the chance to check if the backup loader worked until these problems started.) and furthermore, his shop channel won't work even on the latest update. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but he wants DLC, and can't get wii points. I tried the procedure to downgrade from 3.4 to 3.1, but on every app that had to download a file from the net crashed. So I need some help, either downgrading to a lower firmware revision or just getting the backup loader and DLC working. Help me!
frown.gif

The Errors I get look like this:
mailgooglecom6166707bj9.jpg

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Wasp_Box said:
Thanks for the reply. This means that:

*Downgrade/Upgrade Wii:

in this step we are going to downgrade or upgrade to 3.2 because it is the highly
recommended version especially with the ability of installing Starfall with it wink.gif
(NOTE: if you want other versions it's up to you , you can choose to)

- Go to HBC and run (4-Cios Downgrader 1.2) and you can choose the version you want to
downgrade/upgrade to , the best choice is 3.2 and be sure it matches your region wink.gif.

is wrong for 3.1?

I'm interested in clarifying this as I have noticed quite a few people having trouble with 3.1 to 3.2 upgrades. If you search you find a number of possible answers including the use of AnyRegion Changer (?). I'm reluctant to upgrade to 3.4 but if it's the only solution to get to 3.2 then away we go.

Thanks again for the prompt reply.
IT IS NOT WRONG .since turcha is not signed on your system you still need to install IOS16 and Cios_fix as well and then internet connection is required to run CiosDowngrader and having slow internet connection doesn't help cause the app going to flash your system and it will be a high risk with slow connection that's why the app reboot , to prevent a brick while flashing , the solution is faster connection and no need to go to 3.4
wink.gif
good luck

ZakMcRofl said:
Thanks for the work but I beliebe I found a mistake.
Wii is PAL 3.1E.
HBC installed fine but when I skipped the three steps that are supposedly only neccessary on 3.3 and 3.4 the 4. Downgrader would not work, instead the Wii resets.
So I did steps 1 and 2 (IOS16-64-v257-prod and Cios_fix) and tried again, it worked. I didnt do step 3 (3-IOS Downgrader).

I will continue with the other steps now.
thanks for clearing this issue , cause a couple consoles on hand worked fine but then others didn't , and not many testers had 3.1 so thanks for the input
wink.gif

QUOTE(midna25 @ Jan 15 2009, 03:34 AM)
I installed the HBC on a friend's Wii a while ago, and since than he disregarded my warnings not to upgrade to 3.3 v2. 3.4. The backup loader doesn't work now (I did install CIOS but I never got the chance to check if the backup loader worked until these problems started.) and furthermore, his shop channel won't work even on the latest update. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but he wants DLC, and can't get wii points. I tried the procedure to downgrade from 3.4 to 3.1, but on every app that had to download a file from the net crashed. So I need some help, either downgrading to a lower firmware revision or just getting the backup loader and DLC working. Help me!
frown.gif
don't downgrade to 3.1 you need to downgrade to 3.2 and be sure to follow all the steps of downgrading from the IOS16 install to the CiosDowngrader , and choose 3.2 it should work
wink.gif

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Platinum* said:
BIG MOE said:
ok in your case , remove (boot.dol & boot.elf) from the root of your SD Card and put (boot.dol) for LBC from this link http://rapidshare.com/files/170002327/boot.dol in the root of SD Card and run the TPH again to install the HBC once finished all installation switch back the boot.dol files so you can have WadManager1.3 boot.dol in the root for recovery
wink.gif
enjoy

So basically, I replace the boot.dol with the one in the download, and once its done the set-up, I switch back the original one so I can have Wad Manager? But happens to the .elf? do i need to put it back? Thanks for the assistance!
moogle.gif

EDIT: So i'm done hte installation, right? I mean my problematic part.. I don't run it once more (TwilightPrincess), right? Which step do I start off from now, skipping to the installation of the CIOS Fix and the IOS38 stuff? Thanks for the help!

*EDIT: Okay, I made it up to the Cios downgrade because I got errored when testing the network or whatever. Help?

if HBC is installed now that means you are done with TPH and HBC installation and you should continue the steps from there
Platinum* said:
Jytach said:
QUOTE(Platinum* @ Jan 14 2009, 12:34 AM)
well, as you might have noticed, no one has arisen with a proper answer to my question, so I'd guess that i'm still at the same point.
moogle.gif

As you might have noticed, there are many pages until your posts, which are not clear btw, and it's perfectly normal to try something else when waiting for an answer. Also you might have noticed that many people are asking for help here, so nobody will read all your posts.
Stop being sarcastic and answer our questions if you want help.

wow your so cool
rolleyes.gif

I obviously don't have answers to these questions which is why i'm asking a question my self. I help as much as I can and I do as much as I can. instead of wasting a comment on criticism of my posts you should be taking your own advice and helping people, trying to shed the slightest light on their dilemma.

Anyway, I tried fixing the connection. It was fine and it didn't change anything. I re-did the installation and nothing changed. I don't see anything else to do aside from starting from the very beginning but I don't see how something will change if I follow my steps.
do me a favor please , repost all your system info along with the problem cause I want to solve it once and for all , to stop this rude answers that you are replying with to others that trying to help you , and they are nice enough not to answer you back , I'm waiting for your post please

markmc

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Big Moe - Thanks for messaging me with that information I really appreciate that.

I followed you’re tutorial last night and I am delighted to say most of it worked flawlessly and I did managed to get one of my back up games working J Thank you very much your guide and the software package really made the whole thing easy and I would recommend it to anyone who is unsure over it. Inevitably of course there was one small thing that didn’t go just the way it should have.

All the other software installed except the Starfall application. As the disclaimer is on screen it prompts for you to press B+1 to continue to the next screen, no matter how many times I try I can’t get past that screen – I can escape it but not continue. Is this a problem i.e is starfall necessary? I don’t quite know what it does and I just want to make sure I am risking a bricking by playing back ups without starfall.

Thanks!

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
markmc said:
Hi Big Moe - Thanks for messaging me with that information I really appreciate that.

I followed you’re tutorial last night and I am delighted to say most of it worked flawlessly and I did managed to get one of my back up games working J Thank you very much your guide and the software package really made the whole thing easy and I would recommend it to anyone who is unsure over it. Inevitably of course there was one small thing that didn’t go just the way it should have.

All the other software installed except the Starfall application. As the disclaimer is on screen it prompts for you to press B+1 to continue to the next screen, no matter how many times I try I can’t get past that screen – I can escape it but not continue. Is this a problem i.e is starfall necessary? I don’t quite know what it does and I just want to make sure I am risking a bricking by playing back ups without starfall.

Thanks!

You have to keep trying. You could also try B+2.

Wasp_Box

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2

OK, I have just finished this, following the ammended instructions, and it worked perfectly. Starfall and everything else installed with no problems. Job done!

Many thanks to Moe and everyone else who helped solve this. I've learned so much here - it's a great forum.

Andres0306

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey..i have a copy game of rock band 2 and i am using the backup launcher gamma..to play this game...but somehow my rock band instruemnts are not working...is there any possible i am able to make them work.....can u give the files that i need

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Andres0306 said:
hey..i have a copy game of rock band 2 and i am using the backup launcher gamma..to play this game...but somehow my rock band instruemnts are not working...is there any possible i am able to make them work.....can u give the files that i need

Use MOE's installer to install softchip with IOS 258

zigora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the classic "dvd read error" with any DVDs (sony DVD-R, TDK DVD-R) that I burned at 2x / 4x with imgburn using the ISOs from rawdump.

My question is, I did the Big Moe's Installer V3, but did not downgrade my Wii to 3.2. I'm at 3.3.

Do I absolutely need to downgrade?

Another question, if my setup is working properly, am I supposed to be able to run original games within the gamma backup loader?

Thanks.

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
zigora said:
I'm having the classic "dvd read error" with any DVDs (sony DVD-R, TDK DVD-R) that I burned at 2x / 4x with imgburn using the ISOs from rawdump.

My question is, I did the Big Moe's Installer V3, but did not downgrade my Wii to 3.2. I'm at 3.3.

Do I absolutely need to downgrade?

Another question, if my setup is working properly, am I supposed to be able to run original games within the gamma backup loader?

Thanks.

You don't need to downgrade and you are supposed.

Platinum*

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BIG MOE said:
do me a favor please , repost all your system info along with the problem cause I want to solve it once and for all , to stop this rude answers that you are replying with to others that trying to help you , and they are nice enough not to answer you back , I'm waiting for your post please

well it was 3.4U until I downgraded it to 3.3U. NTSC-U. The firmware downgrader works fine, and when checking the network, it works fine. I think it's a Custom Wad specific problem.

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Platinum* said:
BIG MOE said:

well it was 3.4U until I downgraded it to 3.3U. NTSC-U. The firmware downgrader works fine, and when checking the network, it works fine. I think it's a Custom Wad specific problem.
ok I don't know what you did exactly but downgraded before installing Ios16 and Cios_fix that means it will be a corruption in the system file structure , and by the way why downgrade to 3.3 cause it is not stable system menu , 3.2 is the recommended system menu to use , so if we get somewhere here , the issue is you didn't follow my tutorial and you did steps in a random choice which is wrong my friend , to achieve success please update back to 3.4 then follow my tutorial from scratch and if any problem at that time please post back here and I'll fix it as I promised , thanks for following the step by step tutorial FIRST
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof