How to Hack (Non Pokémon) Games

Ray2001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi! I just got the idea to romhack two of my favorite GBA games, Donkey Kong Country 2 abd Donkey Kong Country 3 (my personal favorite). I plan to make a sort of character hack (for my personal use). I looked around and saw that all the rom tools are for Pokémon. Are there are any rom hacking tools for non Pokèmon games such as the games I mentioned, I know of Tile Molester, but what other tools are there?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi! I just got the idea to romhack two of my favorite GBA games, Donkey Kong Country 2 abd Donkey Kong Country 3 (my personal favorite). I plan to make a sort of character hack (for my personal use). I looked around and saw that all the rom tools are for Pokémon. Are there are any rom hacking tools for non Pokèmon games such as the games I mentioned, I know of Tile Molester, but what other tools are there?
Look on the Romhacking database? They at least list DKC1 for GBA, though there is only a palette restoration hack and no editing tools
https://www.romhacking.net/games/3178/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We do have a guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2016-edition-out.73394/

The Donkey Kong SNES ports can be trickier than some (originally they were 3d renders made into 2d sprites, and then scaled for the GBA though some are looking to undo that which is easier said than done). That said if it is what will motivate you to learn then I am not aware of any serious barriers to those games like some others (pokemon being a notable example there where it seems every format, code line and more if it could have been twisted to frustrate hackers then it might well have been, partially why I guess it has a lot of tools).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse