Tutorial  Updated

How to find codes with VitaCheat using FuzzySearch

Hi guys,after How to find codes with VitaCheat using Normal Search(find here ),now i will explain to you step by step and any moment,how to find codes in any games which have energy bars,to have them infinite.

Step1
Start or continue game,open vitacheat(L+Right pad)the menu will open,and press circle on Go Search,once you enter here press R button,now will open Fuzzy Search menu(see image below).
6NBYerv.jpg

Before press First Search(with O),move cursor to Range next to 81(don't worry preset is 89,you can change value you want),after setting start search.
Note:waiting the result patiently and don't touch any buttons,only touchscreen if Ps Vita is about to go into standby.

Step2
After First Search,you obtained thousands of results(see image below).
stZh9Uh.jpg

Now return to game(exit VitaCheat press multiple time X,or press Right Pad+R)and decrease the energy bar or any other bar.

Step3
Now,return on Vitacheat and Fuzzy Search and search again with <,any time bar decrease,if bar increase change search with >,until you get a few codes(see images below)
PxH7Wye.jpg

or
TpklYii.jpg

Step4
After find fews codes press Triangle for view the codes you find(see image below).
YB7kA2G.jpg

Now,press Start on any single code for save it.
After save all codes we have found,return to main menu of VitaCheat and go Cheat List.

Step6
Once time enter to Chea List,,you will see all codes previosly saved.
Press O in one cheat for the change(up,down for change value left,right for move,press Square to change from Hex to Dec to float)
After edit,one single cheat return to game and let's see if the changes worked.
If it didn't work,let's return to Cheat List and try to modify another.

Note:repeat this procedure until we find the right one,if we don't find any functional code,we repeat all from Step1!

Well guys,we have learned how to find codes with VitaCheat using Fuzzy Search.

I leave you some codes found using this method:
Shin Gundam Musou(Japan Version)
_V0 Inf.HP
$0200 87AE2BF4 00007530

_V0 Inf.SP
$0200 87AE2C6C 4680B800

_V0 Always Red Button on Screen
$0200 87AE2C04 463B8000

Gundam Breaker 2(Japan Version)
_
V0 Defend&Capture Full Bar(Note1)
$0200 8CD9EE3C 000DBBA0

Note1:this code work in all stages with energy bar on the top of the screen: Defende,Survive and all Gundam Café&Shop

In this short video you can see how to find codes using FuzzySearch

This tutorial are tested on PS Vita 3.65 Enso with VitaCheat Z06Beta!

Last edited by NeoGranzon, , Reason: Add demostratiion video of how to find codes with FuzzySearch
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hack/modify speed of car in nfsmw 2012? (Or any racing car game)

Hi, can you help with this please?

Atleast change the accelaration.

The steps seem similar to the comment in this.
So, here's what I'm stuck on.
I choose fuzzy search, then increase/decrease the speed of the car.
However, that doesn't work. Maybe it's my value type? What would this be, 8bit 16bit or 32bit.

Any ideas on how I can make this work? Please help me out as I can trial and error while we brain storm, I've been trying for months and I'm sure I'm missing something basic.

Thanks.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

However, that doesn't work. Maybe it's my value type? What would this be, 8bit 16bit or 32bit.

Any ideas on how I can make this work? Please help me out as I can trial and error while we brain storm, I've been trying for months and I'm sure I'm missing something basic.

Thanks.

@NFSMW ,then usually the fuzzy search is 32bit and must never be changed because the values are Float.
If you first press circle and then square in Normal Search you will see that it changes from Dec to Hex and then to Float, but if you change the search to 8 or 16,it stops only at Hex.

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@NFSMW ,then usually the fuzzy search is 32bit and must never be changed because the values are Float.
If you first press circle and then square in Normal Search you will see that it changes from Dec to Hex and then to Float, but if you change the search to 8 or 16,it stops only at Hex.
Hi, thanks for responding.

That makes sense.

So, I am having difficulty in finding any values. First things first, take a look at the psv for nfsmw 2012. (Can't post the link, but type in "pcse00089 vitacheat", it's on github).

How were the creators of the cheat sheet able to find the nitrous and make it unlimited? Same with "never crash" and "penetrate the vehicle"? I've been tinkering around searching for values for hours and I don't understand how they managed to find those values.

I used fuzzy search and I still couldn't find anything.

Any ideas? Please explain as I'm going crazy lol.

Thanks.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, thanks for responding.

That makes sense.

So, I am having difficulty in finding any values. First things first, take a look at the psv for nfsmw 2012. (Can't post the link, but type in "pcse00089 vitacheat", it's on github).

How were the creators of the cheat sheet able to find the nitrous and make it unlimited? Same with "never crash" and "penetrate the vehicle"? I've been tinkering around searching for values for hours and I don't understand how they managed to find those values.

Thanks.
@NFSMW ,i checked the psv file you mentioned in the previous post in the Vitacheat database and i tell you right away that those are ARM codes and you don't create them with Fuzzy or Normal search in Vitacheat,but through other PC programs such as pointer codes and unfortunately this is me like i am not able to create them and explain to you how they are.

Last edited by NeoGranzon,

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@NSFMW ,i checked the psv file you mentioned in the previous post in the Vitacheat database and i tell you right away that those are ARM codes and you don't create them with Fuzzy or Normal search in Vitacheat,but through other PC programs such as pointer codes and unfortunately this is me like i am not able to create them and explain to you how they are.
Okay! I understand. Appreciate you explaining that, saved me a lot of time doing pointless fuzzy searches haha!

So, as to point me in the right direction, how do I sort out the PC programs to enable me to search for these ARM codes? Would be a great learning curve to figure out this side of coding!

Thanks.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay! I understand. Appreciate you explaining that, saved me a lot of time doing pointless fuzzy searches haha!

So, as to point me in the right direction, how do I sort out the PC programs to enable me to search for these ARM codes? Would be a great learning curve to figure out this side of coding!

Thanks.
@NFSMW ,then the program to create the ARM codes is IDA Pro and for the bets is TempAR,more i don't know why i find the codes directly from Vitacheat even the dynamics ones(which always change when you load the game).

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@NFSMW ,then the program to create the ARM codes is IDA Pro and for the bets is TempAR,more i don't know why i find the codes directly from Vitacheat even the dynamics ones(which always change when you load the game).
Cool, will check that out now and I'll get back to u.

So from the PC using that programme, how do you explore the Ps Vita games? (In this case, nfs mw 2012)

Are there tutorials for this kind of thing?

Thanks.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cool, will check that out now and I'll get back to u.

So from the PC using that programme, how do you explore the Ps Vita games? (In this case, nfs mw 2012)

Are there tutorials for this kind of thing?

Thanks.
@NFSMW ,first you have to find a code that works, then you have to make a memory dump(under the heading cheatlist),copy it to your pc and open it with the program.
For example, if the code is 84xxxxxx when you have to dump the memory you have to set 81000000-85000000 at least so they explained to me some time ago.

Note:remember you must also copy the code you found before doing the memory dump.

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@NFSMW ,first you have to find a code that works, then you have to make a memory dump(under the heading cheatlist),copy it to your pc and open it with the program.
For example, if the code is 84xxxxxx when you have to dump the memory you have to set 81000000-85000000 at least so they explained to me some time ago.

Note:remember you must also copy the code you found before doing the memory dump.
Oh I see, how would I know it works if I can't use test it on the Ps Vita before uploading it to the PC?

What's the purpose in dumping the memory?

Have u made a video on this, or know a good one to follow? I want to learn this stuff, sounds very interesting.

Sorry for asking a million questions lol.

Thanks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks.

Thanks.

I can't do specifics for this game or indeed this console and tool used in searching. I can do the general case though.

As any schoolboy that took physics knows then speed, velocity and acceleration are different concepts, and anybody that plays more than about 10 different games will know then games might also differ in how they handle them.
Acceleration for instance might be a stat you can attack like any old RPG, or it might be something more physics based.
Speed and velocity if it has been a while since said physics classes are different in that speed is not a vector while velocity is, that is to say speed (the magnitude of distance travelled per unit time) and direction which is kind of important when you are in a 3d world at least some of the time (some possibly drag racing games where you change lanes or don't necessarily have to worry about steering as much as timing might differ).
If you changed direction during that (or had it changed by the course which includes going up hills aka Z height/some kind of assist) then a simple search might not reveal what you want, though will wager many games do have a general speed that cornering, weapons and track conditions take away from and that is what is used for most calculations (calculating the physics impact of multiple things could be more tricky for not a lot of great gain).
Value type could be an integer (signed or unsigned could vary as well -- depending upon the position of the origin in the grid or indeed nature of reverse gear then yeah), could be something very large as well (dodges need for float maths/imprecision while also keeping a measure of precision), could be float of some form as well (does make 3d maths a bit easier).

Nitrous is likely to be a fairly basic commodity in a game. If there is a (re)generation factor in it or feather control for it then easy enough to use, search for change, use, search for change... until you narrow down. If there is less then gets harder but not impossible.

Never crash and never penetrate (assume that means be hit, though might also mean a kind of no clip mode) could be a variety of things. If the game has options for it (cutscenes, pickups*, scripted sequences, end of race, invincibility following recovery from crash...) then it might be a simple flag you can tickle. Some of those can be harder to search for. Alternatively if the game's code recognises those states (maybe even displays something on screen to note it or has something in the score calculations/race stats) then you can work backwards from those via assembly debugging (anything that writes the screen/internal value will eventually have had to happen because something triggers it, if there is a nice flag which would be evident there as a if this then don't crash then easy enough to trip that, if instead it is more in the game's code then easy enough to alter the crash check to always jump to no crash. Should be easy enough to tell there as well depending upon where the code lands -- most consoles post DS or that run from something other than fast cartridges will have their binary in RAM rather than on the cart, and as such cheats can alter the game's code like the game genies of old).

*if mario kart in a hypothetical then might be nice to give yourself infinite stars and then fire one and leave it while sitting doing nothing until you find the flag for that. That or go to the side of the track and repeatedly drive off the edge such that you need to be reset.

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't do specifics for this game or indeed this console and tool used in searching. I can do the general case though.

As any schoolboy that took physics knows then speed, velocity and acceleration are different concepts, and anybody that plays more than about 10 different games will know then games might also differ in how they handle them.
Acceleration for instance might be a stat you can attack like any old RPG, or it might be something more physics based.
Speed and velocity if it has been a while since said physics classes are different in that speed is not a vector while velocity is, that is to say speed (the magnitude of distance travelled per unit time) and direction which is kind of important when you are in a 3d world at least some of the time (some possibly drag racing games where you change lanes or don't necessarily have to worry about steering as much as timing might differ).
If you changed direction during that (or had it changed by the course which includes going up hills aka Z height/some kind of assist) then a simple search might not reveal what you want, though will wager many games do have a general speed that cornering, weapons and track conditions take away from and that is what is used for most calculations (calculating the physics impact of multiple things could be more tricky for not a lot of great gain).
Value type could be an integer (signed or unsigned could vary as well -- depending upon the position of the origin in the grid or indeed nature of reverse gear then yeah), could be something very large as well (dodges need for float maths/imprecision while also keeping a measure of precision), could be float of some form as well (does make 3d maths a bit easier).

Nitrous is likely to be a fairly basic commodity in a game. If there is a (re)generation factor in it or feather control for it then easy enough to use, search for change, use, search for change... until you narrow down. If there is less then gets harder but not impossible.

Never crash and never penetrate (assume that means be hit, though might also mean a kind of no clip mode) could be a variety of things. If the game has options for it (cutscenes, pickups*, scripted sequences, end of race, invincibility following recovery from crash...) then it might be a simple flag you can tickle. Some of those can be harder to search for. Alternatively if the game's code recognises those states (maybe even displays something on screen to note it or has something in the score calculations/race stats) then you can work backwards from those via assembly debugging (anything that writes the screen/internal value will eventually have had to happen because something triggers it, if there is a nice flag which would be evident there as a if this then don't crash then easy enough to trip that, if instead it is more in the game's code then easy enough to alter the crash check to always jump to no crash. Should be easy enough to tell there as well depending upon where the code lands -- most consoles post DS or that run from something other than fast cartridges will have their binary in RAM rather than on the cart, and as such cheats can alter the game's code like the game genies of old).

*if mario kart in a hypothetical then might be nice to give yourself infinite stars and then fire one and leave it while sitting doing nothing until you find the flag for that. That or go to the side of the track and repeatedly drive off the edge such that you need to be reset.
Hi, thanks for chiming in, much appreciated.

Great information!

I still don't really understand how to get what I need. Here's my needs and dilemmas.

1. Modify speed/acceleration of car.
Searching for speed/velocity doesn't work. The physics of the car not quite going north or in any given direction would offset the xyz coordinates. I've tried fuzzy searching the speed, didn't work.
Quick thought, in the game we can essentially teleport an exact text written distance to another car. Could I do something with that in mind?

2. Modding nitrous. Ofcourse that cheat is already in the psv. I just can't understand how they got there. I fuzzy searched the nitrous/regen plenty of times and it fails?

3. Assembly debugging? How do I set that up? I didn't know you could access stuff via PC through the Ps Vita.

The other guy in here mentioned something about using a PC to accomplish any of the aforementioned hacks?

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh I see, how would I know it works if I can't use test it on the Ps Vita before uploading it to the PC?

What's the purpose in dumping the memory?

Have u made a video on this, or know a good one to follow? I want to learn this stuff, sounds very interesting.

Sorry for asking a million questions lol.

Thanks.
@NFSMW of course you can try it,but it may no longer work when you load the game again or make it crash,that's what pointer codes and ARM codes are for,so that you don't always have to recreate the codes when you play a PS Vita title(which i do with some games that i have)for example: Omega Labyrinth, DariusBurst, Fate Xtella Link etc ... Unfortunately i have not made any videos about these things,because now i hardly use the PC anymore and i do everything with my smartphone.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. I presume that would include whatever coordinate systems are in play and might well change something in this, though if the speed is still a separate value and instead just an instant teleport at opponent position - some probably array (if going around a loop then - 20 to Y in one place might be behind, in others would be ahead).

3. I have no idea of the specifics of this console.
Usually there will be an emulator with a debugger inbuilt, or the means to farm it out into another program (GDB being the most popular of the open source options, leading to things like https://wrongbaud.github.io/posts/ghidra-debugger/ , though others will use IDA). In some cases hardware debugging becomes an option, though this is usually reserved for debug hardware on older machines and machines with a real firmware/underlying OS running all the time (which the Vita should be, the PSP had such a thing so can't imagine this does not).

These will give you access to things that read and write memory (not much different to cheats but can be more convenient), registers and breakpoints which are keys to the kingdom, possibly also some graphics, network and audio viewers depending upon the emulator.
Anyway breakpoints and crash course therein.

In traditional computing your memory can be doing one of three things.

Reading data
Writing data
Executing code

Modern security makes the latter a bit more tricky on various levels (see rings on PCs or indeed discussion of Harvard architecture and alternatives if you are bored) but eh.
Break (related to the pause-break on your keyboard above the page up button) then stops all execution and says what you told me to wait for just happened. There are also watch/log options in some cases so you can review it a later (useful if an area is hammered constantly and you care more about exceptions to the norm).
There are then three main types
Break on Read aka BPR in most cases. It stops when the area(s) you told it to watch get read from.
Break on Write aka BPW in most cases. It stops when the area(s) you told it to watch get written to.
Break on Execute aka BOE in many things but also BPE in others.
Run to line is a popular option in emulators but in reality is a special case of break on execute. If you are already on the path you might then say come back when you get to this location, or just skip ahead a bunch of stuff that you know/does not concern you and don't want to have to press yes 40 times if "stepping" through instructions.
Break on access is a thing offered in some cases and combines various things (while an execute might technically have to read something in the first place to do it then it counts as separate in most cases).

You find something in the chain that does what you want, cheats being part of this puzzle but also graphics (in classic 2d games you will have something like an object area memory handling sprites aka objects, whatever changes this screen location after a jump or indeed changes sprite to jumping pose will take its cues), audio (if channel whatever reliably fires after you jump then whatever triggered that will have taken a cue or eventually end up dealing with something you actually care about) and controls (if something happens after you press start then it will have had to read the control state or its debounced location -- you tend to copy control states say once a frame to avoid issues with mechanical switches aka the buttons on any controller from messing you around by having to go through oxide layers, maybe wearing a bit and whatever else).

Anyway this all concerns instructions in code. It will be assembly which for many is the final boss of learning ROM hacking. It is harder than python but also not that bad when it comes down to it.
Instructions for my money get broken down into three camps

1) Maths. Addition, subtraction (at least in most modern machines), multiplication, division (again at least in most modern machines). With possible versions to handle various data types (adding an array being different to simple unsigned integer, which is different to signed, maybe longer values, maybe float values... this is how you end up with many instructions on modern CPUs but actually not that much underneath it all). Basically still the same as playing with spreadsheets in most regards https://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions
2) Housekeeping. mov in most instruction sets (don't know if the vita uses something odd but something similar will exist) is what copies data from one register to another, push and pop get data from registers to the the stack and vice versa (helpful when you only have a handful of registers measured in bits -- if a system is 32 bit it is because the general use registers are this)
3) Program flow. Maths is interesting and all but games are often literally defined as a series of decisions (no decisions, no game, so much for candyland and snakes and ladders I guess) which usually in normal programming gets expressed in discussions about loops (IF ELSE, FOR EACH, WHILE and such like) but here will probably be various flavours of compare and branch even if they do much the same thing. This is also where most hacks come in as here is where you change things like if hit then remove health to make it so the hit never happens, though the maths can also be changed (subtract from life count location soon becomes add or NOP aka no operation aka do nothing, in the case of the former then all of a sudden hitting something might not damage as much as heal you, or boost nitrous if you have found that in the meantime).

I doubt there is a guide worth reading to learn basic assembly for the vita. I usually then point people at the likes of https://www.plantation-productions.com/Webster/ and https://stuff.pypt.lt/ggt80x86a/asm1.htm and get them to read the first few chapters at the very least such that it starts to make more sense.
This can also help but does not go in as hard for assembly, though if you are more hazy on programming in general then is very good stuff

On assembly then unless you exclusively stick to the oldest of old then learn one and you can learn two, learn two and three will be simple enough, as will all the rest. The main differences then coming in the types of maths available, nature of jumps/branches and how you read/write normal memory (PC stuff allowing it in most instructions, most other things have dedicated read and write to memory). Oh and how you find data in the ROM/ISO. For most things GBA and older on cartridges then basic tracing is easy as the cartridge is in memory (know where something is in ROM because you say found it in a tile editor or via more conventional hacking means and you can literally read the command that is fetching it or vice versa. https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ being for the GBA but a nice guide to it all), for newer stuff then it will tend to be abstracted behind a cartridge read command which in some ways actually makes life nicer as you know what the whole file is, and possibly how any compression or encryption works.

Some debuggers will have way more functionality than that. Logging is one of the more useful as this way you say want to learn about jumping in a game (maybe to make low gravity). Here you would do anything but jump. After starting logging then get to a quiet point in the game if you can but then you idle, move, punch, accelerate... anything you like but jump, now jump, everything else from background animations to music to general movement should have been seen before, jump however will then be the last new code executed and thus you have what you want to look at without having to fiddle watching button presses or work backwards from graphical or audible results. Do enough logging and you can also spot hidden functions and possible bonus content.

This is how many advanced cheats will be made -- basic infinite potions is the proverbial kiddy pool of this all, more advanced stuff might start looking into flags and inferring layout* and assembly approaches then sort the men from the boys -- while it is generally considered more in the realm of ROM hacking I can happily say some of the best applied assembly hackers out there I have ever seen/met move in cheat making circles.

*I usually use the example of inventory cheats. You could do the infinite potions search routine on an end game sword that takes you 40 hours to farm form. Don't do that though. Get infinite money, get to the first worthwhile shop, buy many starting daggers such that you have a code for infinite of those. Nobody cares though but inventories will tend to be one of two approaches, three in the modern world.
1) Each item will be a fixed location in an array/memory area (think cells on a spreadsheet) and the value there tells you how many you have.
2) Each item will have an identifier and number you have. You will see this more in games with limited inventory and inventories you can rearrange but not exclusively.
3) More modern things might have each say sword pickup as a unique set of encoded data not unlike a character's stats. Speaking of stats don't level up 500 times to improve the luck that only goes up every 10 levels. Find something more basic and then it will either be with the rest of the data of that character, or if each character's atk value is with the rest of the party followed by def followed by... then carry on with that and luck is probably after that somewhere even predictable locations away.

Anyway 1) and 2) will also be how people find hidden weapons that might only be unlocked by hidden conditions, or were dropped by the devs for being overpowered or something. Also how many play as hidden/boss character cheats are made (find whatever value corresponds to the chosen character, then the next... easy enough with menu select and savestates, bosses will still tend to be in there as other values usually immediately after playables or at the end of the range, though you might have to try all of them).

Reactions: NFSMW

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@NFSMW of course you can try it,but it may no longer work when you load the game again or make it crash,that's what pointer codes and ARM codes are for,so that you don't always have to recreate the codes when you play a PS Vita title(which i do with some games that i have)for example: Omega Labyrinth, DariusBurst, Fate Xtella Link etc ... Unfortunately i have not made any videos about these things,because now i hardly use the PC anymore and i do everything with my smartphone.
Interesting, will definitely look into that.

But the weird part is that even before starting all those steps with a PC, I can't find a single value using fuzzy search on this game lol. Values on other games like gold or something, if works perfectly fine. For whatever reason, these basic tasks like finding the nitrous to make it unlimited, or finding the xyz coordinates when all you have to do is move and say I've gone forwards or backwards, evidently seems to be impossible for me.

Can we go over why that might be? I am struggling with this for some reason, maybe my method is wrong?

Thanks.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Interesting, will definitely look into that.

But the weird part is that even before starting all those steps with a PC, I can't find a single value using fuzzy search on this game lol. Values on other games like gold or something, if works perfectly fine. For whatever reason, these basic tasks like finding the nitrous to make it unlimited, or finding the xyz coordinates when all you have to do is move and say I've gone forwards or backwards, evidently seems to be impossible for me.

Can we go over why that might be? I am struggling with this for some reason, maybe my method is wrong?

Thanks.
@NFSMW ,some games not only use Fuzzy Search or Normal Search but both.
You must learn to understand how to search for codes first of all, i'll give you an example:if you have to search for a value that is 84 (decimal)you don't have to use Normal Search 32 but 8,because is too big and you risk not finding anything,if you've read my other tutorial i'll explain it.
Maybe it is not necessary to use Fuzzy Search for this game but Normal Search,useless to be stubborn on a search if that doesn't work try another one,it took me a long time to understand how to create codes and i still have to learn, because i also use Edizon SE for Nintendo Switch.

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. I presume that would include whatever coordinate systems are in play and might well change something in this, though if the speed is still a separate value and instead just an instant teleport at opponent position - some probably array (if going around a loop then - 20 to Y in one place might be behind, in others would be ahead).

3. I have no idea of the specifics of this console.
Usually there will be an emulator with a debugger inbuilt, or the means to farm it out into another program (GDB being the most popular of the open source options, leading to things like https://wrongbaud.github.io/posts/ghidra-debugger/ , though others will use IDA). In some cases hardware debugging becomes an option, though this is usually reserved for debug hardware on older machines and machines with a real firmware/underlying OS running all the time (which the Vita should be, the PSP had such a thing so can't imagine this does not).

These will give you access to things that read and write memory (not much different to cheats but can be more convenient), registers and breakpoints which are keys to the kingdom, possibly also some graphics, network and audio viewers depending upon the emulator.
Anyway breakpoints and crash course therein.

In traditional computing your memory can be doing one of three things.

Reading data
Writing data
Executing code

Modern security makes the latter a bit more tricky on various levels (see rings on PCs or indeed discussion of Harvard architecture and alternatives if you are bored) but eh.
Break (related to the pause-break on your keyboard above the page up button) then stops all execution and says what you told me to wait for just happened. There are also watch/log options in some cases so you can review it a later (useful if an area is hammered constantly and you care more about exceptions to the norm).
There are then three main types
Break on Read aka BPR in most cases. It stops when the area(s) you told it to watch get read from.
Break on Write aka BPW in most cases. It stops when the area(s) you told it to watch get written to.
Break on Execute aka BOE in many things but also BPE in others.
Run to line is a popular option in emulators but in reality is a special case of break on execute. If you are already on the path you might then say come back when you get to this location, or just skip ahead a bunch of stuff that you know/does not concern you and don't want to have to press yes 40 times if "stepping" through instructions.
Break on access is a thing offered in some cases and combines various things (while an execute might technically have to read something in the first place to do it then it counts as separate in most cases).

You find something in the chain that does what you want, cheats being part of this puzzle but also graphics (in classic 2d games you will have something like an object area memory handling sprites aka objects, whatever changes this screen location after a jump or indeed changes sprite to jumping pose will take its cues), audio (if channel whatever reliably fires after you jump then whatever triggered that will have taken a cue or eventually end up dealing with something you actually care about) and controls (if something happens after you press start then it will have had to read the control state or its debounced location -- you tend to copy control states say once a frame to avoid issues with mechanical switches aka the buttons on any controller from messing you around by having to go through oxide layers, maybe wearing a bit and whatever else).

Anyway this all concerns instructions in code. It will be assembly which for many is the final boss of learning ROM hacking. It is harder than python but also not that bad when it comes down to it.
Instructions for my money get broken down into three camps

1) Maths. Addition, subtraction (at least in most modern machines), multiplication, division (again at least in most modern machines). With possible versions to handle various data types (adding an array being different to simple unsigned integer, which is different to signed, maybe longer values, maybe float values... this is how you end up with many instructions on modern CPUs but actually not that much underneath it all). Basically still the same as playing with spreadsheets in most regards https://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Mathematical_Functions
2) Housekeeping. mov in most instruction sets (don't know if the vita uses something odd but something similar will exist) is what copies data from one register to another, push and pop get data from registers to the the stack and vice versa (helpful when you only have a handful of registers measured in bits -- if a system is 32 bit it is because the general use registers are this)
3) Program flow. Maths is interesting and all but games are often literally defined as a series of decisions (no decisions, no game, so much for candyland and snakes and ladders I guess) which usually in normal programming gets expressed in discussions about loops (IF ELSE, FOR EACH, WHILE and such like) but here will probably be various flavours of compare and branch even if they do much the same thing. This is also where most hacks come in as here is where you change things like if hit then remove health to make it so the hit never happens, though the maths can also be changed (subtract from life count location soon becomes add or NOP aka no operation aka do nothing, in the case of the former then all of a sudden hitting something might not damage as much as heal you, or boost nitrous if you have found that in the meantime).

I doubt there is a guide worth reading to learn basic assembly for the vita. I usually then point people at the likes of https://www.plantation-productions.com/Webster/ and https://stuff.pypt.lt/ggt80x86a/asm1.htm and get them to read the first few chapters at the very least such that it starts to make more sense.
This can also help but does not go in as hard for assembly, though if you are more hazy on programming in general then is very good stuff

On assembly then unless you exclusively stick to the oldest of old then learn one and you can learn two, learn two and three will be simple enough, as will all the rest. The main differences then coming in the types of maths available, nature of jumps/branches and how you read/write normal memory (PC stuff allowing it in most instructions, most other things have dedicated read and write to memory). Oh and how you find data in the ROM/ISO. For most things GBA and older on cartridges then basic tracing is easy as the cartridge is in memory (know where something is in ROM because you say found it in a tile editor or via more conventional hacking means and you can literally read the command that is fetching it or vice versa. https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ being for the GBA but a nice guide to it all), for newer stuff then it will tend to be abstracted behind a cartridge read command which in some ways actually makes life nicer as you know what the whole file is, and possibly how any compression or encryption works.

Some debuggers will have way more functionality than that. Logging is one of the more useful as this way you say want to learn about jumping in a game (maybe to make low gravity). Here you would do anything but jump. After starting logging then get to a quiet point in the game if you can but then you idle, move, punch, accelerate... anything you like but jump, now jump, everything else from background animations to music to general movement should have been seen before, jump however will then be the last new code executed and thus you have what you want to look at without having to fiddle watching button presses or work backwards from graphical or audible results. Do enough logging and you can also spot hidden functions and possible bonus content.

This is how many advanced cheats will be made -- basic infinite potions is the proverbial kiddy pool of this all, more advanced stuff might start looking into flags and inferring layout* and assembly approaches then sort the men from the boys -- while it is generally considered more in the realm of ROM hacking I can happily say some of the best applied assembly hackers out there I have ever seen/met move in cheat making circles.

*I usually use the example of inventory cheats. You could do the infinite potions search routine on an end game sword that takes you 40 hours to farm form. Don't do that though. Get infinite money, get to the first worthwhile shop, buy many starting daggers such that you have a code for infinite of those. Nobody cares though but inventories will tend to be one of two approaches, three in the modern world.
1) Each item will be a fixed location in an array/memory area (think cells on a spreadsheet) and the value there tells you how many you have.
2) Each item will have an identifier and number you have. You will see this more in games with limited inventory and inventories you can rearrange but not exclusively.
3) More modern things might have each say sword pickup as a unique set of encoded data not unlike a character's stats. Speaking of stats don't level up 500 times to improve the luck that only goes up every 10 levels. Find something more basic and then it will either be with the rest of the data of that character, or if each character's atk value is with the rest of the party followed by def followed by... then carry on with that and luck is probably after that somewhere even predictable locations away.

Anyway 1) and 2) will also be how people find hidden weapons that might only be unlocked by hidden conditions, or were dropped by the devs for being overpowered or something. Also how many play as hidden/boss character cheats are made (find whatever value corresponds to the chosen character, then the next... easy enough with menu select and savestates, bosses will still tend to be in there as other values usually immediately after playables or at the end of the range, though you might have to try all of them).

Man, I feel bad for getting u to type all of this up, thanks, much appreciated on my end :)

Yeah, damn, that does makes sense about the loop in the coordinates since the map is quite big. Hmmm.

Can u take a look at this 5 minute video of the nfs mw 2012 game using a trainer hack? He definitely used cheat engine. Look at 0:42 (jump), 2:56 (super acceleration), 3:07 (super brakes), 3:18 (acceleration unlimited), 3:31 (max acceleration).

I don't get how he's accomplishing these things.

I'm beginning to think that vitacheat has limitations and that I'd need to use my PC some how to figure this out. I can't search for sounds or cutscenes or anything crazy like that.

Wow that is a phenomenal thought process. The part about the log and being part of a chain. So what program do I use to scour/trial and error these things? Looking for audio or logging? Stuff like that is definitely not possible on vitacheat haha, I'm glad you've told me about this stuff, I was just wasting time on vitacheat.

Look at my response on #17, that is still relevant haha.

Thanks, I'll check out that video too, I want to be able to understand a lot of this material rather than reading without understanding (that's what I've been doing so far since this stuff is quite complicated)

Thanks!!

NFSMW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@NFSMW ,some games not only use Fuzzy Search or Normal Search but both.
You must learn to understand how to search for codes first of all, i'll give you an example:if you have to search for a value that is 84 (decimal)you don't have to use Normal Search 32 but 8,because is too big and you risk not finding anything,if you've read my other tutorial i'll explain it.
Maybe it is not necessary to use Fuzzy Search for this game but Normal Search,useless to be stubborn on a search if that doesn't work try another one,it took me a long time to understand how to create codes and i still have to learn, because i also use Edizon SE for Nintendo Switch.
Oh okay I see, thank you for explaining.

Yeah, that makes sense, interesting.

So, I recall you saying to use IDA Pro and TempAR. So since I can't find any addresses on vitacheat, how do I expect to find stuff with these programmes? (By my understanding I'd just use these programs on pre existing/already found hacks to be able to find another/all possible addresses when I reload the game)

Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...