Question How to extract a nsp romfs?

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by DeslotlCL, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:21 PM.

1. DeslotlCL
    OP

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official anthro shark

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Before someone says it, i have already looked at similar threads, but got no results so far.

I recently got my hands on dusty raging fist nsp and am trying to extract its contents, so far i have used two tools from two different threads, where they extract the nsp into its cert, tik and nca files, but once i got to extract the nca it asks me for its title key, which i know how to get (looking at offset 180 in a hex editor in the tik file) but in the two tools it tells me the header may be incorrect, or that the key is invalid.

Is there something i'm doing wrong? Or is there a better tool available? Note that i'm not experienced with command lines and stuff.

Thanks for reading.

2. masagrator

masagrator Polish digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Silly ask: did you paste titlekey without spaces between bytes?
    Should look something like this
    Not like this
    01 02 03 04

3. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I did, yet i still got the invalid keys/header message.

I was wondering, could it be that the nsp currently online is a bad dumped one? Just tried a third tool, and even got the same message, but i noticed it displayed the title id of the nsp and it was a=A, which i think is really, really wrong, right?

4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2009
    Indonesia
    In the homebrew subforum there's a bunch of tools that can auto extract nsp to layeredfs

The one with green text is the easiest and can automatically read titlekey

But for me, I must extract using the white text one to get NCA

Then extract NCA using the green one

Sorry can't remember the tool name and my stomach hurts so much to hunt the threads

5. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Hmm, will try getting the nca file with one of those tools and then try to extract the nca with the green one (which was the third tool used but still failed to get the files lmao).

Dont want to annoy so much, but could you explain the steps you followed to successfully get the romfs files? No need to search for the tools, i will do it, but the details of how you did it would be really appreciated!

6. F4mouZSt4r

F4mouZSt4r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2018
    Germany
    Don't use any tools, use hactool and the command line.

7. masagrator

masagrator Polish digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    There are tools based on cmd for hactool, so why not?

8. F4mouZSt4r

F4mouZSt4r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2018
    Germany
    Cuz with the command line itself, you have much more decide what you actually doing

I had already so many ppl who had problems with romfs extracting cuz they used the tools, but after I said use hactool and the commands, they had the files without any problems

Last edited by F4mouZSt4r, Mar 16, 2019 at 7:43 PM
  9. orangpelupa

orangpelupa GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2009
    Indonesia
    I simply drag the NCA to its window.

What error message you got?

10. XorTroll

XorTroll Dev: Goldleaf, Brew.js, Plutonium, Brew.NET...

Dec 28, 2017
    Spain
    Nowhere
    hactool -k <your keys file> --romfsdir=<dir to extract romfs> --titlekey=<titlekey> <nca file>

Last edited by XorTroll, Mar 16, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    F4mouZSt4r likes this.
  11. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Try using this tool

https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract-nsp-nca-xci-update-all-in-one-tool-for-layeredfs.511156/

12. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Just noticed i need the keys file dumped from my switch, so rip, wont be hacking the only one i have.

Thanks anyway for the help people, but i guess i cant do crap with the game as of now.

13. Plunt

Plunt GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Canada
    Ontario
    If you look around you can find a keys.txt floating around. Just cant be shared here. You don't need any console specific keys