ROM Hack how to edit nds .bin files

loismustdie555

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i extracted a kirby squeak squad rom and found a bin file i wanted to edit which is
Data\collection\spray.bin
this im guessing contains the spraypaint color pallets which i would like to edit
could anyone please explain (in detail) how to do this, because i dont know much about this kind of stuff

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
loismustdie555 said:
i extracted a kirby squeak squad rom and found a bin file i wanted to edit which is
Data\collection\spray.bin
this im guessing contains the spraypaint color pallets which i would like to edit
could anyone please explain (in detail) how to do this, because i dont know much about this kind of stuff

unpacked with DSlazy?
EDIT:1000th post (Y)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DSlazy contains a check for it- I suspect your AV saw the signature inside DSlazy if it popped up with something.

Anyhow this is an example of the .bin extension being a generic extension*, afraid I am not going to be very useful at this point though as I am about to pass out and I have not played the game.
The bin file however does seem to contain a bunch of imagery (GBA 4bpp)
The .cla files are quite small and firing them through the data2palette options of crystaltile2 they appear to half work at least although I have nothing to reference. Some of the later ones like bigmetalum.cla are almost certainly palettes. Do note not all games use a static palette and ones with things you can edit yourself I find are even more likely to have things change at run time.
There are also a bunch of more traditional palettes in the map folder and another in subgame (although with a different extension).

I will however thank you for bringing this rom to my attention. At first glance this has a lot of nice things to learn hacking with (not necessarily easy perhaps more representative of what is usually out there).

*the only notable .bin files across roms normally are
overlays, binaries and the other files from that directory (fat, banner, - food for your disassembler and hex editor (occasionally some text is in them)
utility.bin- this is the download play section of the rom (it is essentially a rom within a rom and most DS file parsers will do something with it- be warned everything is usually compressed and you can not edit this unless your receiving DS will have flashme).

loismustdie555

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks and btw i did what i wanted with the old "swich the file" trick
and actually i assumed that a file named "dsbrick.signature" would brick my ds so i searched google and found a page in some other language, the title was translated by google which said "do not use ds lazy" or something like that so i didnt use dslazy

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am wondering this too. Is there even a way to edit the BIN files? (Already tried opening them in a hex editor, just want to change the title of the AK2i 3DS update)

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FAST gave a pretty good explanation on what *.bin files are, they are usually a generic file format that can contain about anything. You have to figure it out yourself what it probably contains, because ds roms can be programmed in a variety of ways. You can usually look at the folder it is in, or the filename to get an idea what the file contains. That said, there is no editor for *.bin files, because there is no standard for it, so the best way to view them is with a hex editor because with that you will be the closest to the source code.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
shadowmanwkp said:
FAST gave a pretty good explanation on what *.bin files are, they are usually a generic file format that can contain about anything. You have to figure it out yourself what it probably contains, because ds roms can be programmed in a variety of ways. You can usually look at the folder it is in, or the filename to get an idea what the file contains. That said, there is no editor for *.bin files, because there is no standard for it, so the best way to view them is with a hex editor because with that you will be the closest to the source code.
Well mainly I want to edit the header and banner files of the "rom" (It is the AK2I update) and hex editing didnt get me any further

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Be very aware that the banner and header files of such things will be checked quite harshly so if you are planning on using it on a DSi or 3ds you are going to need to do a full rebuild of the file/hackset (something I am not sure I would even want to try my hand at)- http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ should provide an overview of what will be coming your way and why the methods used were used.

If you are on a DS then carry on if you want- a minor rebuild might be necessary but that should be easy enough to pull off. Frankly though it sounds like a lot of work for no gain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1