How to dump PSVita Games

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Tutorials' started by Shrinefox, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Shrinefox
    OP

Shrinefox GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Sorry to double post, but I think the recent release of Henkaku warrants this some attention.
    Although the failmail trick was patched in 3.55, with Henkaku you don't need it to download/rewrite the app.db to do mr. gas's dumping trick.

So I did all the same steps to open a PSVita game's manual in Near, and then I tried to dump using CMA. Turns out, I get C2-17775-7 trying to transfer the PSP game used for the dump to my PC. A quick google search shows some other people running into the issue trying to dump games on 3.55.

I then tried to backup the game like normal to my PC, and got a similar error code (C2-17119-9). Turns out, both these errors go away when I close the Near app.
    This leads me to believe in 3.55, Sony patched not only failmail, but access to the game's ux0:/app/ folder when it's already being accessed by Near..

Instead of using the CMA at all, I then tried moving the folder to my computer using molecularShell's FTP (I also tried with vitaFTP, same results). That's when I confirmed my hypothesis.
    With the game manual open in Near alongside the FTP, Filezilla gives me this error accessing the game's folder. However, any other game's folder is perfectly accessible.
    When I close Near, and return to FTP, it works as expected, although the contents are immediately encrypted:
    It doesn't matter if I use vitaFTP or moleculeFTP. I've only tried this with filezilla so far.

tl;dr permissions to even access these files are revoked if Near is accessing them, and there's no other way to decrypt the PFS (that I know of). Dumping confirmed dead on 3.60?

2. Shinigati

Shinigati GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Major Tom has actually found another way to dump decrypted contents.. not sure how he did it but it was mentioned on twitter and he only managed decrypt saves for now but working on dumping games atm he will be releasing info on how he did it tomorrow.
    Sources:
    https://twitter.com/MajorTomVita/status/759861779723878400
    https://twitter.com/MajorTomVita/status/759905013237821441

3. Shrinefox
    OP

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Good news, except it seems to me like he ran into the same issue with the games as me, considering it hasn't worked yet. I'm disappointed, doubtful it's gonna get anywhere (at least not with a better exploit)

4. Shinigati

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah but seeing as we can now decrypt and re-encrypt saves that's pretty damn great, for one thing we can modify saves to apply cheats and whatnot and another exploit from a game could potentially help dig deeper into the system maybe even let us to do things that HENkaku can't

Shrinefox likes this.
  5. Shinigati

Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited by Shinigati, Aug 1, 2016
    Shrinefox likes this.
  6. Shrinefox
    OP

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Incredible news, Major_Tom pulls through for us again!
    I hope this also means we can decrypt DLC (probably the same way as savedata).

I'm still not sure how romhacks work reliably when the executable is still encrypted, though

Last edited by Shrinefox, Aug 1, 2016
  7. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    So, I got into molecularShell and via FTP, I'm able to see the contents of my game card. Is it possible to decrypt this? (Sorry for the noob question)
    EDIT: Copied Save Icons for the game but they all came out corrupted.

Last edited by TheGrayShow1467, Aug 1, 2016
  8. Shrinefox
    OP

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Soon, we're still waiting for Major_Tom to reveal his trick. But yes, eventually you should be able to decrypt all that.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    Whoa

Last edited by Shrinefox, Aug 1, 2016
    AdamN and Shinigati like this.
  9. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Games needing firmware 3.50 or later to run might not work.
    Developers have the option of using 30% of the reserved 256MB of system RAM for their game (starting with firmware 3.50). If they chose this, then other apps will close when the game boots and can't be opened when it's running.
    I haven't figured out how to dump such games yet.

10. internetakias

internetakias GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2009
    Greece
    Same here. I've been trying to dump Ultra Despair Girls with no luck so far because it's one of those games you mentioned.

11. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    Has there been any other games that give issues with dumping? I couldn't get Sly 1&2 to dump from the sly collection cartridge

12. MDashK

MDashK GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    Internetus Exploratis
    I can confirm using the Project DIVA X Demo from EU region, that it's one of those games that also closes NEAR app and can't be decrypted yet... =S

13. AdamN

AdamN Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2011
    Indonesia
    On the Net
    When binaries can be decrypted later, it will surely open a path to emulation :)

14. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Sounds like you've been away from the Vita scene for a good while. Vitamin and MaiDump tool (both HENkaku Vita homebrews) are utilities which can successfully decrypt those game binaries (eboot.bin). However, this isn't enough to immediately open up a path to emulation though. Tons upon tons of work researching/reverse-engineering the Vita's hardware and software needs to be done in order to achieve any way to construct a Vita emulator at all.

AdamN likes this.