NULL

How to Dual Boot Android with almost any OS

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Zerosuit connor, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    If you want internal storage inside the OS itself for apps, music, themes. You create a fake SD-Card. Also you can use an SD card but USB's are generally things that everyone will have. I have tried making another partition, but there is no need for it.

2. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Yes, but as far as I could tell, you can't create a fake SD larger than 2GB, so saying you need around 10GB of free space for installation seems a bit like overkill. And what I was saying was, I installed from a USB to an SD card so I wouldn't have to waste space on the HDD, and it still saw the Windows partition on the main HDD and added a boot option for it; therefore, instead of installing Android to the same partition as your Windows installation it might be safer to create a separate partition on the Windows drive and install Android there instead. I personally don't like doing anything that needlessly risks any of my OS partitions when there's safer options.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That would be correct. Installing it to a separate partition is indeed safer (in case something goes wrong with Android) and easier in the long run (for when you want to remove Android). Zero, you should improve upon your guide a bit. Also, 10GB is a little overkill for Android, I would change that to 5GB for the system along with the 2GB fake SD card. That would give you enough space for any app that would require data storage as well.

4. sentinel5000

sentinel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2008
    Ok I have a laptop dual booting with Windows 8 devs preview and Ubuntu 11.02. I also have burg as my boot manager. Can I still install android on it if it has the disk space??

5. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    It's more or less the same as installing and dual-booting with any other OS, but apparently it has the ability to coexist within another OS's partition. A note, though: while the installer detected my Windows 7 installation it completely ignored the Fedora installation. I'm not entirely certain about this, but I believe the best way to do it with Windows and Linux already installed would be to install Android to its own partition and decline its request to install its own GRUB loader. From there boot into Ubuntu and do whatever with burg (I've never used it, but I assume it's got some sort of tool to scan for other installations and add them to you boot menu). At your next boot, you should see Android listed with whatever else was already on your boot menu.

Note that that's all conjecture, although I could go and test it if I felt like switching my bootloader. I'm by no means an expert on bootloaders, and truth be told, I've been known to screw them up pretty bad. Worst case scenario, though, you have to reinstall Android and find a different method of getting the boot menu right.

6. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Before I start installing, can you tell me WHY I would want to install Android on a PC? Just asking.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Really there is no reason why. I suppose it could be for those who don't know if they'd like to purchase an Android device or not. Really Android isn't really a useful PC OS, so do it only if you want to play around with Android. Otherwise, it's useless on PC.

8. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    If your laptop, is slow with windows then this is a good choice. It is more aimed at netbooks than anything else.

9. frogboy

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Stupid question: Can it run Android apps?

10. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Yes.

11. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Even still it's useless. Not only is it still buggy (on all releases) but you can't do all of the things you could with something like...Windows or Linux. It really is a useless PC OS and should only be used for fun. The project itself was never officially intended to be used as a whole PC OS.

EDIT: While Android on PC sounds cool and I'm not saying it's bad, it just shouldn't be used as a main OS.

12. frogboy

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Alright, I believe I'll give this guide a try.

13. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    As previously not all apps are supported, angry birds for one is not. This is because the android market reads your phone/tablets specs and if you have an ARM5 processor you can't run ARM6 apps, so it hides them. To combat this I have been downloading the .apk files and manually installing them. GBAoid and N64oid run well, but you have to download the roms through android.

14. Kiaku

Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    I'm having issues with mine. Even when I tried installing android onto my hard-drive, it keeps saying that there's not enough free disk space. So I tried installing on another hard-drive, and it worked. Now, when I boot android up, all I get is a command-line screen, and it doesn't load to android's gui.

15. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    What model is your PC/Laptop?

16. Kiaku

Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop

17. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Can you just load android without installing it?

18. Kiaku

Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    It keeps looping on a message when I do that.

19. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Message?
    Can you take a photo?

20. greator

greator GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2008
    Malaysia
    In your head...