How To Delete 'Prof Layton Vs Phoenix Wright' Save?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by mikeyt1998, May 10, 2014.

1. mikeyt1998
    OP

mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

Aug 11, 2007
    Dalton-in-furness, north west
    My girlfriend ordered the game on eBay and when it came it has a save file already on it (obviously...)

I've been through the electronic manual from the home menu, been on the save section but it says nothing about deleting! I've searched all over google for an answer too, but I've not managed to find anything that can tell us how to :S

There must be a way! Right...?

2. voddy

voddy No Title Available

Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    as far as i know the professor layton series never had an option to delete the save... easiest way would be to corrupt it by ejecting the game while saving (maybe that helps? not sure to be honest o.o)

3. mikeyt1998
    OP

Aug 11, 2007
    Yeah that's actually a pretty good idea! Thanks for that idea, I've never played a layton or phoenix game before so don't even know how to save it, but I'm sure she does hahaha Thanks again :)

4. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH
    If you read the manual of every game, if you hold down A+B+X+Y+L+R right after booting the game, you will be prompted if you want to delete all the save data.

5. Ozito

Ozito Not a new member anymore

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden

Just tried that on Prof. Layton and the Miracle mask (Not the same game though) and it didn't work.

Another Solution is to just start a new game and overwrite the old save data with your new progress.
    That's what i did with my "Prof. Layton and the Curious village" cassette

--EDIT--

A quick google regarding you issue comes back with results about corrupting the save data.
    But there was a risk were the game later wouldn't either load or save a new game.

Just start a new game.

6. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH

Weird then...if you look through the manual there is usually a chapter about deleting save data.

7. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden

I actually dug up the manual now, It's very thin and it doesn't address anything about deleting or clearing game data.
    Maybe they skipped implementing that function.

8. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH

Have you tried looking through the digital one for the game via the 3DS itself? I guess some games don't support that function which is kind of strange.

9. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    Brian117 likes this.
  10. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH

Guess I was wrong. My bad. Every game I own is capable of the A+B+X+Y+L+R combo so I just assumed it was the same for all the games.

11. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    I wasn't bashing you;)
    I just got curious with your advice so i tried it out with no success and wanted to report back.

Brian117 likes this.
  12. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    One of the weirder games is PAL pokemon ranger shadows of almia.
    For whatever reason it permanently locks in the text language when first run, without telling you.

13. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    I accidentally saved my game into the wrong file and now I have a duplicate I can't erase without wiping my completed save too.

Frowny face.

14. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
  15. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH
  16. mikeyt1998
    OP

Aug 11, 2007
    Yeah I thought that first, I didn't come in blindly from this :P Googled etc but yeah sae corruption was a common answer, she's just got to the first save point and yes, you can actually overwrite the save when it asks so all is good! :)

Yeah I remember this quite well actually! Wasn't there some kind of software that enabled people to delete it in the end, sure I saw it here on GBATemp.
    For the electronic manual of any 3DS game, just press the home menu and it's the centre option on the bottom of the touch screen :) (unless that's not what you're talking about :P)

17. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    You could use the R4i SaveDongle (maybe the NDS Adapter+ too?) to upload a corrupted save file to the cartridge, which would force the game to erase the save. Granted, the R4i SaveDongle doesn't work with many/any(?) newer games.

18. Ozito

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden

Yeah, that's what i remembered from other games but this one didn't have it.
    [​IMG]

19. mikeyt1998
    OP

Aug 11, 2007
    Wow! That's so weird… I thought all 3DS games had an electronic manual like that :S

Much like Brian117 said actually about the save deletion method, there should be universal options for all games hahaha!

Sicklyboy, seems like a lot of effort tbh! Does that work for 3DS games? Besides it's alright now we just overwrote it with the new game file :)

20. Blagard

Blagard Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2014
    I bought a copy on Ebay for my wife.

You cannot delete the old save games - only overwrite them.

However, it is possible to reset the save data so you get back to 3 empty slots. - I downloaded the ".sav" file to my PC with a Save Dongle an then changed a few characters in the file (After creating a backup!). I reloaded the save file back to the card and when the game started it gave a message "Resetting save data" and that was it, back to three empty slots.

My wife has just started to play it and all is working fine.