How to compile code in to .3dsx format

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Maxypun, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Maxypun
    OP

Maxypun Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2019
    United States
    sorry about the stupid question but I'm a noob and I want to play homebrew apps I've downloaded that are not compiled

2. BaamAlex

BaamAlex GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    Which apps are that?

3. samhhhhh

samhhhhh GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    use devkitpro

download it for 3ds

if ur on ubuntu press ctrl + alt + t and navigate/open terminal in the folder where the source is and type make then enter

4. Damantio

Damantio Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2019
    Italy
    if you are on windows open thecommand prompt and write:
    cd [folder path, like C:/newfolder/test]
    make

5. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    @Damantio It's easier to use the included msys2 shell so you don't have to set up the system environment variables that may also clash with other paths you added to windows, especially make.

6. Maxypun
    OP

Maxypun Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2019
    United States
    ctrQuake ctrWolfen and 3DScraft

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

where can I find the shell?

7. Wuigi

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    @Maxypun If you installed devkitpro via the installer, it is at C:\devkitPro\msys2
    You can launch the msys2_shell.bat or msys2_shell.cmd both worked fine for me.

8. Maxypun
    OP

Maxypun Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2019
    United States
    @Wuigi i have no idea how to use this program ive never taken any programming classes in my life

9. Wuigi

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    @Maxypun To change paths you use "cd".
    If the code is stored in your downloads directory you can change the directory with "cd /c/Users/yournamehere/Downloads/homebrewcode"
    If that path has a Makefile file you can build it using "make" from that directory.
    Then a .3dsx file should be in there if there were no errors displayed in your shell.

It could be that you lack the 3ds sdk stuff at first, so if things may fail, you need to run "pacman -Sy" and then "pacman -Syu 3ds-dev" and press enter and y when asked for you action first.
    3DSCraft and maybe other homebrew you want to compile may not t work with the current compiler anymore and as the maintainer of the devkitpro site has deleted all older version from his site, you would need to piece the missing parts together from https://wii.leseratte10.de/devkitPro/ .
    And as the structure of the sdk differed then iirc, it is really cumbersome.

Last edited by Wuigi, Jun 17, 2019
  10. samhhhhh

samhhhhh GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    its just cmd right lmao

11. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Are you sure you're not just missing where the builds are? If you're finding them on GitHub, you can click on the Releases tab which takes you to compiled ... releases. e.g. Here is the link for ctrQuake releases.

12. Maxypun
    OP

Maxypun Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2019
    United States
    @Vague Rant i am such a retard lol! ya know where to find 3dscraft or ctrwolfen? if not i mgiht stream wolfenstein 3d from my pc

13. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Rinnegatamante, who developed ctrWolfen, quit the 3DS scene a while ago and I think took their ball with them, so the official releases don't seem to be available any more. I've attached the last public release, v0.8, of ctrWolfen to this post for you.

And it looks like 3DScraft is still available over on smealum's web site. :)

Attached Files: