Gaming How to code RPG game?

Alyjah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've been slowly becoming more and more worn out from gaming, and even if i dont game for long time Im still not enjoying games as much (or not at all actually). I think that's because i simply played too much in my life.

I've decided that I would like to make my own game now. The genre im into are RPGs. I just like foreign worlds in medieval concept with a bit of fantasy, where characters can level up and the like... But how to make such game actually? I know a bit of coding but not much, and the things I can code is just text or mathematic, so im probably doing something wrong.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Unless you try to code trajectories and movement, mathematics will lead you nowhere.
Just add a bunch of Random Number Generators, paste your typical anime characters and voilá, you've just got a brand new™ RPG.

Last edited by JuanMena,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Making games is fine, though I will say for burnout you might want to look outside the mainstream a bit or possibly explore some of the now last gen consoles and PC.

You do have things like RPG maker to use as an engine. It is rather limited though compared to most engines and most people doing good stuff with it turn it on its head rather than use it "how it was intended".

Text and mathematics is pretty much what most would think of when they say RPG so you have that at least.

If I was doing it I would design the system first and implement that but you might want to go the other way and build the engine from basic components. Build something that is attack and heal and get that working in just the battle side of things. While far from finished at that point (assuming you want Final Fantasy clone and not might and magic) then towns, shops, maps (especially if you want bump into enemy rather than random encounter) is not so much more. If you say you have maths I assume you have the idea of a probability/outcomes tree and text trees are not much different to that, though I will note that most game design does the "all paths lead to Rome" approach as... if each dialogue option is a paragraph at least how many does 5 generations of branching leave you writing?
Building it up is unlikely to get a balanced game out of the box but it will see you know what is coming when you do design one with balance in mind.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been slowly becoming more and more worn out from gaming, and even if i dont game for long time Im still not enjoying games as much (or not at all actually). I think that's because i simply played too much in my life.

I've decided that I would like to make my own game now. The genre im into are RPGs. I just like foreign worlds in medieval concept with a bit of fantasy, where characters can level up and the like... But how to make such game actually? I know a bit of coding but not much, and the things I can code is just text or mathematic, so im probably doing something wrong.
Some people might hate me for saying this but RPG Maker is not a bad place to start. Some excellent games have been made in that. Just try to make your own thing out of it rather than relying on default assets.

Actually writing RPG mechanics (equipment/skills/spells/damage formula and all that) from scratch and making them work well is tricky, which is why I'm suggesting RPG Maker rather than something like Game Maker or Unity. Though those are not bad places to start either they require you to do more of the work yourself. I find Game Maker to be way easier to use than Unity but it's not very well suited for 3D games so Unity is better for that. Game Maker is actually what helped me learn to code as I could ease myself into GML until I was writing most of the game in pure GML and at that point it was pretty easy to learn other languages. You don't need to know a single line of code to start using Game Maker but you'll quickly find yourself limited and wanting to delve into GML to make more complex games and that's how it all starts. I haven't played around with Unity much but it seems like that basically requires you to code to make stuff happen so it can be harder to get started with and I didn't find the interface nearly as intuitive.

RPGs can be fun to make since you get to create a big world and fill it with story and characters but do keep in mind that it's one of the hardest/most time consuming genres of game to make exactly because of the big world and story and numerous characters, enemies, weapons, skills, non-story related dialogue and NPCs of which you need a lot to make the world not seem empty, and all of that which is essential to a good RPG. Most hobbyist RPGs or ones made by a single person end up unfinished because of it. It's possible to make a smaller RPG and make it something great and the ones that get finished are usually the smaller ones as that is a much more realistic goal so that is probably the best way to do it unless you have a team of people who are dedicated to finishing the game and not just working on it in their spare time between school/work and other duties.
And that's another reason why using RPG Maker is a better idea than trying to make the engine from scratch since it takes away a lot of the complexity in making a game that might see you give up.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Minged

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nowadays people just use game engines. They're easy to learn but take lot of time to make something. If i had any advice for u then it would be to skip mediocre engines like gamemaker, rpgmaker and godot, and go straght for best option e.g. unreal or unity. Dont try to buy any udemy courses or whtever because they have this knowledge for free from internet and you can find free tutorials as well. I was using Unreal Engine 4 for many years, but recently Unity seemed better for my certain project and I've learned the basics from here (free), there are also tutorials on youtube if you prefer videos than text. Another thing you want to do is to learn the language (c++ for ue4 or c# for unity) the engine supports before even opening the engine - it will make things easier. Otherwise you will often confuse Engine API with language API.

P.S. Unity is great at RPG games both 2d and 3d.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol