How Sony Lost Its Way

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by jerome27, May 25, 2011.

May 25, 2011

How Sony Lost Its Way by jerome27 at 10:45 PM (1,005 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. jerome27
    OP

Banned jerome27 Banned

United States

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Sony+los...l#ixzz1NP2vOnVK

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well, just look at ancient Rome.

3. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I don't think Sony lost their way; They just... snapped.

4. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I stopped reading there for the pure inaccuracy of that statement. At the very least, they could try to do some research before pulling a random number out of their ass.

Over 100 million would have been basically every PS3 customer on the planet. :/

5. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There were 77 million PSN accounts and 24 million SOE accounts.

6. damedus

Member damedus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    which is more than 100 million plus the small sub companies that are being hacked left and right that belong to sony, it could be coincidence or some people have a bullseye printed on sony's back

7. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Yeah I caught that too.

It makes me wonder if any of this would've happened if they had left Geohot alone... [​IMG]

8. MEGAMANTROTSKY

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Maybe a special research project into these events would provide an answer to that question. Until then, all we may have is conjecture.

9. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I had no idea what Stringer was like before i read that other article about him blaming the Sony disaster on "impending doom", but any guy who's illiterate enough to think "A Brave New World" is a good thing and it's a shame we're not heading towards one deserves the boot.

10. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    this isn't the first article to state this, and it won't be the last. sony's lack of innovation is what is making the company stagnant. many of the ceos seem to be oblivious to how things even work in their own divisions. I don't see how any company can function in that fashion. the company is far removed from the walkman days. Jack Tretton and Howard Singer must get millions of dollars just to twiddle their thumbs all day.

11. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom

From your previous points about Sony it's clear you loathe the company anyway. But I disagree that's it's their lack of innovation....take the Sony Walkman range. It's one of the most boring MP3 players around, has a lack of features and the most insane naming scheme ever (more confusing than Starfleet and E Numbers put together). However, sound wise it more than delivers and it's a recommended purchase for people who want a quality listening experience without any spangly extra's. Same goes with Sony TV's....they deliver when it comes to performance.

The problem is that Sony got massively carried away with the PS3 after the PS2 and PS1 and tried to make a console that could replace everything an be a multifunctional experience. Not only was this stupid cost wise (gamers want games primarily) but by assuming that they'd be the lead format again and being a difficult platform to code for, they shot themselves in the foot when it turned out they were in third place.

Sony had to stick with the PS3 and just chucked money at it and forgot about the PSP in the meantime (PSP owners are unlikely to have ever seen a game advert) and ultimately they were done in by their inability to adapt to what people actually want and not what THEY think people want.

Now instead of being humble they're still being arrogant. Bad move...

12. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i never thought of sony as innovative. their main goal has always been to come up with a proprietary media they can use to grab the world by the balls.