How often do you sell your games?

How often do you sell your own video games?

• Never! I may not be able to collect all games in history, but I can darn well TRY!

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Rarely. But I do my part in sharing terrible games with others.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • About half of my collection. If I don't play it anymore, or when I can sell them in a pack.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Often. I just buy stuff and get rid of what isn't stellar amazing stuff.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Always: why bother having it on my shelf if I have already sucked all the fun out of it?

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
With all the flak the xbox one gets (and now the PS4, according to rumor), I'm kind of curious how often you guys actually sell the games you previously bought.

Because honestly...with all this flame bait flying around, I can't really help but wonder if people are actually going to PLAY those games. It's almost as if they can't wait to get tired of it to sell it to someone else.

Hence this poll. It kind of speaks for itself. :)

My own situation: I've only very rarely sold my games. And even then...for what I got for it, it wasn't really worth it (no, I don't blame game shops. I get that they want to make money. It doesn't change my stance, though).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Never. Then again I don't buy that many in the first place. On the other hand I don't sell books or movies either, no matter how much dust they've collected, and I do buy lots of those.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I almost never sell any of my games. Part of that has to do with the fact that I mostly buy digitally available PC games and another part of it is that I don't find it to be worth it money-wise.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just have to say that you forgot one key part here: How many people buy games used compared to new? I've personally bought a ton of PS3/Wii/360 games new, but I've had to buy some of the games used as there was no new games available. (No new games available = pricing 5-10 year old games at 2x the price (or more) of the original purchase).

As for the flak the X1 has received, I find it disturbing that the discs basically have no other value apart from the collector value. Regardless of the future prospects of emulation and/or remakes, I find it a bit problematic not having games on physical media (while it doesn't last forever, it's more secure than most online servers and game services during the last 5 years).

Reactions: Wizerzak

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Never. Not because I don't want to, but because nobody plays 3DS/DS/Wii here(my country is a Sony fanboy :glare:) and no one will buy them. And since international shipping costs almost as much as a game, I can't sell them abroad. I don't have a choice. Oh, and guess what, the only game shop here (Pulsar) doesn't accept used games. Sucks to live here sometimes.:glare:

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"How often do you se... huh? I don't get it." - Gamer from the near future

I never sell my games. I always get the feeling I'll want to replay them the very second they're no longer mine.

Reactions: Wizerzak

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never once I got past about age 14. On rare occasions I will trade with a friend or give something away though it is usually to their benefit, having younger siblings means the collection has been known to shrink by a game or three at various points over the years.
Buy those that others have sold. I am going to say exclusively save perhaps for when a company finds some old stock or is otherwise selling at second hand prices* (£10-15 aka new DVD price is an ideal price for a game). On very rare occasions I might consider getting one as a present for someone else, I have no qualms about picking up a second hand game as a present either though.

*I have not done one for a while but the £5-10 spinning DVD racks are amazing.

Likewise I feel very strongly about second hand not being restricted and I am categorically opposed to any mandatory cuts for devs/publishers, if you are going to piss away your hard won profits then so be it but unless you are getting something for it then I will call it foolish and say it might possibly even be illegal for you to do (if you are beholden to your shareholders unless your mission statement says otherwise you are purposely losing money).
If you are going to call online a service then so be it but otherwise I will be bitching at you if you tried online passes as well.

On the flipside if you want to sell me a library access card, a game as a service, a game that is very much a product of the moment or some such I am not opposed to you trying.

Finally if the consoles to come have restrictions like those being mentioned I eagerly await the first court case where, should the consoles be hacked in a timely fashion, someone tries a defence on saying "but I have a disc".

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never sell my games.

Still don't like the activation/restrictions though. What happens when the server is no longer around?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your pole is missing an important option....

Never sell my games, but I do buy used games from time to time.

I try to buy new if possible, but buying new games gets harder and harder the farther you go back.... Shrink wrapped new in box SNES games go for prices that are just insane.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I sell and trade like 95% of my games. I only keep special editions of games I think will be worth a lot of cash in the future.
Using ebay one full price game becomes 5-6 games until I have to buy one at full price again.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just have to say that you forgot one key part here: How many people buy games used compared to new? I've personally bought a ton of PS3/Wii/360 games new, but I've had to buy some of the games used as there was no new games available. (No new games available = pricing 5-10 year old games at 2x the price (or more) of the original purchase).
I've got to admit I indeed forgot about that (same answer goes for Psionic Rosham bo). Sorry. :shy:

Then again, I don't think that anyone is doubting that this new policy will affect everyone, and not just a rough 20% of gamers (assuming the current trend kinda remains the same as more votes roll in).

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
i've never sold a game of mine, but i do exchange games with friends for a period of time, i've don't even sold Demons Souls that is free for psplus subscribers, i like have the physical case and manual.

i must add that i buy used games if the offer is good and is not a game with online pass.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I stopped selling games once I stopped being a poor student with no real job (only had a paper route).

I enjoy watching my collection stack up, though to be fair I pretty much exclusively use digital downloads now.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I almost never/rarely sell my games. I almost always buy used though(99% of the time unless there's an awesome pre-order bonus), which is the side of the argument you're neglecting (as others have already mentioned).

That goes for hardware too. Almost every console i have is bought from a second hand source, either forums, other people or ebay.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rarely.

Before I used to do it all the time. But now when I do, I make sure it's a game I know I don't like and won't enjoy, like Resident Evil 6, or Black Ops 2. Other than that, I keep all of my games.

Also, the fact that the WiiU is able to play Wii Games makes it so much more appetizing. I missed out on a lot of the great Wii games, and now I can just go to a store by them for a few bucks and play them, it makes it total win.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Although I just got a job recently (last six months) so that buying new is really a possibility for me, I still will always buy used if it's cheaper/more convenient. If I'm going to order a game online, for example, and a new copy is $40 w/ free shipping while a used copy is about $25 w/ $5 shipping, it's simply a smart consumer decision to go used and save that $10. When I was younger, buying used was all I really had. Without the used games market, as a kid, I would have always missed out. Post-N64, near every game I ever got was a used copy, which I was totally okay with. At that point, referring to the original question, it's important to note that I would sell games periodically when I was younger to fund towards getting other games. If selling one game meant getting two or three more used, it was totally okay because that was how I got new games to play.

At this point, I don't sell my games because I only buy games I want to permanently own. I don't just buy games on a whim. I buy games I absolutely know I'll want to keep. My pre-order of the new Animal Crossing game on the 3DS? I know for sure that it will be a game I'll enjoy for a long time based on my past experience (I still own the Gamecube game). If it ever comes down to selling games or not getting a payment in on something I have to, which is unfortunately a very real possibility as things are going for me, that is the only time I will sell. I like that I can simply sell for cash though in a smooth process easily with a private seller and get all of the money I feel I'm entitled to as well. I don't like the idea of selling through a system that will take a cut for the publisher in addition to what they were originally paid. If I bought new, the publisher already got the percentage of my money they deserved. They don't have the right to make the selling process more difficult, and to steal away some of the maybe 50% I'll get back if I'm lucky on the physical object I purchased. If I bought a used copy that was already twice used, what right does the developer have to continue to take my money?

All things considered, the used games market is important. It allows for those from the lower end of the economic class spectrum to enjoy games as well as those who can afford new. It gives the opportunity to practice in the economic system of buying and selling that much of the world has chosen called capitalism. Most importantly, it actually gives the buyer a sense of ownership, rather than feeling that they're just leasing until they get bored and lease out the game to another. I really don't like feeling like I don't actually own what I just sunk $30+ of my rather few dollars I have to spare into.

I can sell a DVD without having to make it more difficult. I can sell clothes without the original distributor or designer demanding more money. I can sell all other types of electronics with no issue of the company wanting more of my money. Why are video games suddenly becoming so special? Why fight what has been a standard for home consoles since, well, since video games in general?

Re: PC game argument I keep hearing all over the place (on this forum and elsewhere) -
Console gaming is not PC gaming. It's older, and was established on a system of physical ownership that has maintained for decades without any issue. I don't want my home consoles to act like my PC in any respect. That includes restrictive DRM and a more difficult to utilize used games market due to the nature of digital distribution. Quit acting like the couple of gripes a person could genuinely have where PC gaming is involved are okay to impose on other game playing mediums.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
But how do I sell pirated games?

:unsure:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re: PC game argument I keep hearing all over the place (on this forum and elsewhere) -
Console gaming is not PC gaming. It's older, and was established on a system of physical ownership that has maintained for decades without any issue. I don't want my home consoles to act like my PC in any respect. That includes restrictive DRM and a more difficult to utilize used games market due to the nature of digital distribution. Quit acting like the couple of gripes a person could genuinely have where PC gaming is involved are okay to impose on other game playing mediums.

Where does my Spectrum, Atari, Commodore/amiga, BBC micro.... fall into that? Most of those had serious game development industries spring up around them to the point where they might have been near total development for the devices, at the very least you will have an exceptionally hard time dismissing their impact. However they were also general purpose home computers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?