Hardware How many years can a normal Vita survive ? (Physically!)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The original PSVita uses an OLED display, this technology utilizes organic components which degrade over time. OLED displays currently on the market have an expected lifespan of 50,000 hours of use - that's over 13 years of use 10 hours a day. Of course that's just a figure - it doesn't mean that the display will just stop working, it means that it gradually loses the "brilliance" OLED's are known for. Think about all the old LCD consoles like the Game Boy or the Gamegear - those used very primitive technology and yet they're still functional today, albeit often suffer from contrast issues, ghosting or burn-in. I wouldn't worry about your PSVita decomposing all of a sudden - it won't always look like brand new, but it also won't spontaneously combust for no reason.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screens are replaceable, anyway. If you're so rough with your handheld that you're damaging the button contacts on the board, however, you're probably just out of luck when the buttons become unusable. If you take decent care of your handheld, any problems that pop up you can generally fix just by swapping out an inexpensive part. Screens, speakers, buttons, housing, they can all be replaced cheaply. If you damage the main board, however (which includes the button contacts), you might as well just buy another handheld unless you're incredibly good at soldering.

Last edited by TecXero,

ali_ihsan21

Trophies
XP
Country
I have PSP-1000 which I bought May of 2005 used,I changed more than 5 times it's analogue, it's still in perfect condition all buttons, screen etc.

Bought a PSP go in 2009 it's spring system a little loosened in time but it's in good condition too.

Always keep it in a case, don't leave under sun light and dusty places and sure never drop.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I think consoles cost way too much new and have been buying used for as long as I can remember. If you're careful about who you buy from you can find the odd nearly-new bargain at a lower than average price which is what I've done with all of my gaming related hardware purchases over the past few years. I tend to take very good care of my handhelds, don't throw them about, don't pound the hell out of the buttons, keep them in hard cases and clean the screen (even opened up my PSP-3000 earlier in the year to knock all the dust off the screen with anti-static). Everything works perfectly. I don't expect the Vitas to last forever but they'll last as many years as I need I'm sure.

ali_ihsan21

Trophies
XP
Country
I think consoles cost way too much new and have been buying used for as long as I can remember. If you're careful about who you buy from you can find the odd nearly-new bargain at a lower than average price which is what I've done with all of my gaming related hardware purchases over the past few years. I tend to take very good care of my handhelds, don't throw them about, don't pound the hell out of the buttons, keep them in hard cases and clean the screen (even opened up my PSP-3000 earlier in the year to knock all the dust off the screen with anti-static). Everything works perfectly. I don't expect the Vitas to last forever but they'll last as many years as I need I'm sure.

Guy who sold me PSP-1000 was fool imo because back in 2005 every store in Istanbul was saying "don't search for version 1.50, we're ready to give 2 new PSP for a used 1.50 but can't find it anywhere" and he sold it just 100 $ when I'm ready to pay 250 $

Prices change tremendously in time back in 2009 I payed 410 tl for PSP go, a few months ago bought second hand but never used one cost for 120 tl

pica200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If looked after, the battery will wear out before anything else, providing the console isn't played ever other day. I have my Vita 3G since launch day, played flat out at times, then other times I might not even touch it for a couple of months, then go back to it, depending what is happening at the time. My console is kept in the neoprene sleeve still looks and feels like the day I purchased it.

The official sleeve is great, to bad Sony only sold in in a stupid kit with bunch of other crap, although the cart storage was great, the sleeve wasn't available for long.

Last edited by pica200,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's a quick question for longer time owners - how do you easily remedy a sticking trigger? It's not a huge issue but on hard presses the L on my Phat model can stick, might be because of all the pinball games I play on it. Someone mentioned an adjuster screw in another thread?

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Non-removable battery will eventually hold less and less charge. Surgery to replace it.
OLED screen on the first model will last less than the conventional screen on the Slim.

Wash hands before every play session to keep unit free from grime and unnecessary food and bodily oils.
Store in a nice protective case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: First she gets the clap, then I get the slap? +1