How is video transferred in the dock?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by torrent_get, Jan 14, 2017.

1. torrent_get
    OP

torrent_get Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2011
    Is it wireless transfer or through usb(c)

Last edited by torrent_get, Jan 14, 2017

2. alpha_noj

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States
    If you mean from dock to TV, I'm assuming it's through the USB C cable then to HDMI similar to a cable for a phone (thinking those old Micro USB to HDMI cables).

3. WBW

WBW Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
  4. LinkBlaBla

LinkBlaBla Glitches Expert and Anti-Government (TFTP*)

Jun 7, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec
    this seems legit iv read it a little and it seems to be exactly what Nintendo did since they use the 1.4b hdmi it would mean that it doe output the game in 1080p tv mode but without changing anything but resolution ,so the game in portable mode run at it full speed it is all inside the switch that is very very good news so no extra mode or power is needed when output to 1080p since the real native version is 720p then it is put in 1080p mode ex: dolphin emulator can put games at 1080p but it is at native 480p or 480i so their is no extra power needed just a config.

Maybe im totally wrong but if i am right the switch is gonna be a hell of a console!

5. torrent_get
    OP

torrent_get Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks guys.

So the dock could be replaced with a cable which does not cost $90 like the dock does I suppose.

Hope third parties produce a better looking cost effective and functional (ethernet) dock.

Zense likes this.
  6. darkten

darkten GBAtemp Regular

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    This remains to be seen...Nintendo clearly has *some* plan/intent...that breakout in the back has Power in, HDMI, a USB port in there, plus the two external ones. Maybe there a basic splitter board in there. Maybe something else.

That's a lot of USB ports for "nothing"...

osaka35 likes this.
  7. JoostinOnline
    This message by JoostinOnline has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jan 15, 2017, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jan 15, 2017
  8. LinkBlaBla
    This message by LinkBlaBla has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jan 15, 2017, Reason: Crap -rp.
    Jan 15, 2017
  9. Thulinma

Thulinma Computer Magician

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Netherlands
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    All of those are standard USB (or USB-OTG) features, which, seeing the chipset the Switch uses was intended for tablets, is likely supported by the hardware.
    This is the same feature you see on modern cellphones/tablets, where a single USB (or USB type C) connector provides extra USB ports, power and/or HDMI.
    So it is quite likely the dock is indeed nothing more than an fancy OTG cable, providing an USB HUB, power, and HDMI breakout.
    I would not be surprised if the dock also contained some kind of cooling, as the charging plus higher graphics output while docked would likely make the unit quite hot.

In other words - you can most likely replace the dock with a cheap cable. Though the Switch could do device ID detection and figure out what it is plugged into and not fully activate with third-party cables... but that would be weird/mean to do for no real reason.

10. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    lol.
    It works the same way as the cellphones with hdmi out.
    Samsung has been having an adapter for years. It simply outputs the video via the usb cable and routes that a small box (in the dock) which converts it to an hdmi cable.

Now what i wonder tho is will there be 3rd part docks made.
    It seems pretty easy to do if you know the coding.

11. Thulinma

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Netherlands
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Eh... It's similar to that, but not as easy as you make it sound, really. There are actually multiple standards for video-out over USB (at least 3 commonly used ones that I know about), and the adapters/cables/"docks" you can find usually only support one of those standards.
    Most phones/tablets/computers support 2 or even all 3 of the standards, so most cables/adapters/docks will work with most devices, in practice.
    But... we don't know anything about the Switch's video-out support yet.
    So, before jumping the gun and finding/buying third party USB-Type-C-to-HDMI cables/docks, it'd be smart to find out which standard(s) the Switch supports. Maybe it's only one of them - maybe it's all three. Who knows? This might affect which third party solutions will work and which won't.

12. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yea i know all that. Had a friend get burnt buying a $50 adapter that work with his friends phone but not his phone.
    But its still pretty much how it works. Sends the video out the usb. Im just saying that 3rd party companies will find this out and make smaller cheaper docks (i believe nintendo charges $80 for a new dock, hdmi and usb cable. Its on there site)
    Also heard the N switch will be underclocked while no on the dock to save battery. I remember alot of people thinking the dock added more ram but all its doing is adding power.

13. Thulinma

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Netherlands
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying it will not happen - in fact, I'm saying (some) existing cables/docks most likely are already compatible right now, today. We just need to wait to find out which ones. There's no need to make new ones (except to make them look pretty, I guess).
    Existing USB Type-C docks already on the market now are between 40-60 USD-ish (depending on features/size/etc), so the 80 that Nintendo is asking for their nice-looking one, is not as much of a rip-off as it seems at first.

(Also, the dock not "adding" anything besides electricity is really what was to be expected - adding such things on the fly is really complicated. Though I was surprised that it contains no cooling... you'd expect it to get hot when powered more while getting such a snug fit from three sides also.)

14. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yea i seen cheaper no name cables. And yea the nintendo price is on point for what they give you, but just thinking ahead. If someone makes a dock or even just an output cable for $20. I can see alot of people buying that and just placing the switch on a table and cables running to the tv.
    yea thats what i meant by power. It just charges the systems and lets it run at full processor clocks VS handheld mode where it under clocks to save battery.
    They havent said how much tho hope it doesnt under clock to much that it kills on the go gaming. If there smart it will be setup correctly and will under clock itself doing game slow times and run full processor when needed.

15. Thulinma

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Netherlands
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Chinese webstores already offer such cables for ~16 USD... combine that with a 3D printer and you have yourself a ghettodock for under 20 dollars ;)

16. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Lol thats right in my lane.
    I got 2 3d printer. Made some pretty good stuff in cad software and of course printed downloaded files. So a dock wouldnt be a problem. I plan to try and make a joy-con grip, but i gotta get my hands on it first lol..

There is a model of the N switch but idk how close it is to the real thing. The model was release months ago and not sure if the system was changed.

Ill probably print it today to get a feel of everything.

17. Thulinma

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Netherlands
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    My thoughts exactly! I'm going to take some detailed measurements of the Switch and the joycons as soon as I get my hands on them.... and am planning to publish those as OpenSCAD 3D files for easy modding. :)

18. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    This is what i been having, just havent printed it. But right now im printing a Left joy-con should be done in about an 1hr,30m
    https://www.myminifactory.com/object/nintendo-switch-replica-25431

It is a well done model i just dont know if the size is 100% on point.

19. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Dont mind the color. It what was load into my printer. But if this isa 1:1 the controller doesnt feel to bad single handed up right.
    Sideways its off center andnfeel kinda bad. Your right hand is cramp to the left side to hit the abxy.

Now if it was mounted to the switch .
    I feel it would be a bit bad.
    There is no grip on the bad so the switch would want to slide out your hands. 20170117_114235.jpg 20170117_114240.jpg

Going to print a right one and the button, triggers and what not today.
    The a grip and see what i can do.

20. Thulinma

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Netherlands
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    I don't know how accurate that is going to be... how did they get the measurements?
    Still cool, though. I'm waiting with printing anything until I have 100% accurate measurements I took myself :)

21. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    N I N T E N D O M A G I C

Okay, maybe just through some senors or something. We will just have to see

22. AniTracks

AniTracks Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2016
    United States
    I have a feeling it's thunderbolt 3. I am not sure but it is possible.