Hardware How is this laptop?

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently considering getting a new laptop and for the next few days I can get 15% off at the retailer Argos so I'm considering getting one from there.

I know BF/CM is around the corner, but I'll have a 30 day return window so I can always buy it and then wait.

After a recommendation I'm currently considering this one:
MSI GE73 (about £1401 with discount)
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8625047

For comparison, previously I was considering these two:
Medion Erazer X6805 (about £1062 with discount)
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8371920

Acer Predator 17 (about £1190 with discount):
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8356653

Obviously the previous ones have a different GPU and things like RAM, Screen size, etc.

I've used Acer and Medion (mediocre quality) before but I've never used MSI, does anyone have any opinions on this/their laptops or any other feedback?

Thank you.

pauliebb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought the predator 17 two years ago with the i7 6700 and the 1070... my friend bought an alienware with the next i7 i forget which and a 1060... my 1070 runs games better in general and has much less stuttering on my vive headset.

depends what you want I guess, but for gaming.. I'd always go for the better gpu.. msi also has a much better screen (3ms and 120hz)

Last edited by pauliebb,
Reactions: tech3475

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought the predator 17 two years ago with the i7 6700 and the 1070... my friend bought an alienware with the next i7 i forget which and a 1060... my 1070 runs games better in general and has much less stuttering on my vive headset.

depends what you want I guess, but for gaming.. I'd always go for the better gpu.. msi also has a much better screen (3ms and 120hz)

Those are a couple of reasons why I've been tempted to go for the MSI.

The biggest concern I have now is MSI's quality.

miesssiee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Man oh man do I have bad experiences with both MSI and Medion. Ofcourse, this doesn't mean that they won't work for you but in my experience Acer is the best out of these three.

Reactions: tech3475 and renes2

renes2

~New World~
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My old Msi Was very good, but i only had one with a 970m oder 960m graphics card

Besides this shitty graphics card, I had only Problems with my Headset (i need to download Special divers and so on)
Just dont cheap out @ graphics cards, buy one with less RAM, you can Stock it up later if needed

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Man oh man do I have bad experiences with both MSI and Medion. Ofcourse, this doesn't mean that they won't work for you but in my experience Acer is the best out of these three.

ouch, I didn't think that was possible.

I've had two Acers in the past, the first I returned because they removed TV playback from WMC (which I wanted at the time) and my last while practical had a mediocre display and meh build quality (it was an insurance replacement so I had no choice and you get what you pay for).

My old Msi Was very good, but i only had one with a 970m oder 960m graphics card

Besides this shitty graphics card, I had only Problems with my Headset (i need to download Special divers and so on)
Just dont cheap out @ graphics cards, buy one with less RAM, you can Stock it up later if needed

As far as I can tell, the MSI is the cheapest laptop with an i7/1070.

This was one reason why I considered the Medion though since the price difference was about the same upgrading to 16GB RAM down the line.

edit:

I ended up getting the MSI, stock had run out at my local store and I was concerned it would run out via delivery.

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by tech3475,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gaming laptops... I honestly think they’re a waste, but many of the solutions aren’t much better.

I prefer a good ultraportable and use an eGPU for gaming. Costs slightly more, but the performance is generally better and you’re free to upgrade down the line.

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaming laptops... I honestly think they’re a waste, but many of the solutions aren’t much better.

I prefer a good ultraportable and use an eGPU for gaming. Costs slightly more, but the performance is generally better and you’re free to upgrade down the line.

The main benefit of a gaming laptop for me is that they're more compact compared to an eGPU.

I might have considered an ultraportable/eGPU now if I was buying for uni (main reason I got my current non-gaming laptop), but for my current usage a gaming laptop is better.

miesssiee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pros of a gaming laptop:
- Play anywhere you want

Cons of a gaming laptop:
- That thing can get hot!
- Battery isn't very good so most of the time your going to need a power supply
- "small" screen in comparison to big monitor of a desktop or TV
- Expensive

What about looking at a cheaper laptop for normal use (or no laptop if you just want to game) and buying a gameconsole? :unsure:

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pros of a gaming laptop:
- Play anywhere you want

Cons of a gaming laptop:
- That thing can get hot!
- Battery isn't very good so most of the time your going to need a power supply
- "small" screen in comparison to big monitor of a desktop or TV
- Expensive

What about looking at a cheaper laptop for normal use (or no laptop if you just want to game) and buying a gameconsole? :unsure:

Already have them if I need them, gaming laptop is just the most practical for what I want to do.

Svinorin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I don't see the utility in it unless you travel for business often, but to each their own.

As for myself, I've never had any issues with MSI, but after looking at the specs and the prices, I think the best bang for your buck is the Predator. Sacrifice the 120hz refresh rate from the MSI and a little bit of a downgrade for the gpu and slower hard drive speeds for some more battery life with some extra money saved. Now if you don't mind shelling out the extra money, I'd go for the MSI. Or if you don't mind spending an extra 100 more than the msi, I would go for the Asus Rog Zephyrus M; https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8658258 Screens a little better than the MSI, and overall it's more sleek and aesthetically pleasing than the others in my eyes. Bottom pick for me would be the Medion, just lesser overall from a brand I've heard almost nothing from, so I don't know their quality.

Reactions: tech3475

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro