How is Google Flights?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,550
  • Replies 19
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm considering taking a trip to Japan soon. There are some super cheap deals on Google Flights. So far the only downside I can see is the long stopover times. But I've never booked a flight by myself until now, I've only ever done it through a travel agent. Are there any caveats of online bookings and Google Flights which I should be aware of? Foreign transaction fees on my credit card, luggage limitations, flights getting changed without notice, etc..

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's this urban legend where if you visit a flight often the price will be higher for you when you decide to buy it. Don't believe this nosense.

Owenge

GbaTemp browser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do what you think is right, but in my opinion I'll take anything that gets me from point A to point B..... Preferably with wifi

D

Deleted User

OP
There's this urban legend where if you visit a flight often the price will be higher for you when you decide to buy it. Don't believe this nosense.
It is true, same apply with Hotels.
That's probably got something to do with cookies. The more times you look up a particular booking the higher the price gets. Always search up flights in incognito and screenshot the prices.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It is true, same apply with Hotels.
No.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's probably got something to do with cookies. The more times you look up a particular booking the higher the price gets. Always search up flights in incognito and screenshot the prices.
What you're suggesting would literally obliterate any company who does that after just one class action.

D

Deleted User

OP
I have a related question to ask. On airplanes these days there are USB ports so passengers can keep their phones powered while flying. Does anyone know how many amps these ports deliver? I want to play my Switch during the flight.

EDIT:

If anyone needs to know

On my flight the power provided by the USB ports was only enough to make the battery drain more slowly. While playing Stardew Valley the battery drained very slowly. While playing Pokken the battery drained quite quickly. Depending on how long your flight is and what game(s) you plan on playing you might want to look into buying a powerbank or third party battery.

Last edited by ,

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a related question to ask. On airplanes these days there are USB ports so passengers can keep their phones powered while flying. Does anyone know how many amps these ports deliver? I want to play my Switch during the flight.
Never been on a plane with USB ports, but I'd assume it'd be under 2 Amps; not enough to charge your Switch. However, if you know your flight number, you can look up the specific plane you'll be on to check if you'll have amenities such as a standard outlet under your seat that you can use.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Im sorry, but im not buying that, ill not give my word for google flights, but for some websites that ofer HOTELS, yes, they do rise up, if you search if in matters of hours, then they go down again.
I have been victims of those practices on booking.com before. It was just some 2 star hotel in Singapore next to where I was going to work.
1- prepare to purchase two nights at a hotel room
2- about to pay, I have to reboot my PC due to a windows update or something, so my order is effectively cancelled
3- make the same order again, same website, same details - the price had increased by 30%

I was so pissed I called Booking.com to complain. They said it's because the hotel owner raised the price inbetween the two reservations.
So I reboot my computer (which took about 2-3 minutes) and the owner supposedly increases the price? My ass...

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been victims of those practices on booking.com before. It was just some 2 star hotel in Singapore next to where I was going to work.
1- prepare to purchase two nights at a hotel room
2- about to pay, I have to reboot my PC due to a windows update or something, so my order is effectively cancelled
3- make the same order again, same website, same details - the price had increased by 30%

I was so pissed I called Booking.com to complain. They said it's because the hotel owner raised the price inbetween the two reservations.
So I reboot my computer (which took about 2-3 minutes) and the owner supposedly increases the price? My ass...
Yes, you need to wait after clearing cookies and some time for this to go.

Booking a hotel through a 3rd party site is a bad idea anyway. Hotels hate it. You always get the shittiest room they can possibly give you. They seem less friendly too.
It all depends, if you are ready to book and do know what you want, its a very reasonable thing.

I've booked hotels as cheap as 40 per night, and they are 4 stars, with breakfast included.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Booking a hotel through a 3rd party site is a bad idea anyway. Hotels hate it. You always get the shittiest room they can possibly give you. They seem less friendly too.
It really seems to vary. Sometimes I get perfect rooms, sometimes I get the backwoods room that's next to the vending machine and facing a wall view. I always book third party, so I don't really know otherwise, but they do tend to be really rude once they realize you booked third party.

aea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
About cheap flights, Google Flights is fine, but I also recommend you to compare also with this one. I know, I know, both belong to Google, but you can fine tune the latter and sometimes find better flights than Google Fights, trust me.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is recently Linus doing a VPN based ticket price check. Whether they're actually increasing prices because of frequent visits or not, it seems pretty obvious that if you have the time and a VPN to see if that makes a difference. My guess is that airlines quote you one of multiple prices from a bag (with a cookie to let them know what they told you) because it's in an airline's best interest to not simply quote you the lowest possible price they'd ever offer, nor the average since then no one would be willing to pay above the average. Basically, there's a very complicated game of game theory and rival goods going on. :/

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm allowed a maximum of 10kg of luggage on my flight so I can only pack the essentials. Clothes... and that's about it. Everything else fits in my pockets including my passport, cash, toiletries and Switch (barely).

I'm going to wear multiple layers of clothes to the airport because clothes that you're wearing don't count as baggage. I remember one friend of mine looking like an idiot at the airport because his suitcase was too heavy so he took out a whole heap of clothes and put them on. Apart from looking stupid are there any problems with this idea?

EDIT: Wearing multiple layers of clothes with large pockets works but expect to have an uncomfortable flight.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.