How has Vimm's Lair stayed up so long?

9x0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It seems as nobody knows for certain. Some say its because they only have older ROMS posted or might be because the site runs as a non profit.

RaffyTaffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
United States
It seems as nobody knows for certain. Some say its because they only have older ROMS posted or might be because the site runs as a non profit.
Most Rom sites do that too. The site Romnation only has snes and nes roms but Nintendo still took them down. so how could vimm do the same and not get took down? Maybe its servers are located out of the country.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vimm's Lair has been running since 1997. How has it stayed up so long without Nintendo suing them into oblivion?
That's actually a brilliant question, I'm not even entirely sure on how Vimm keeps it up but kudos to him regardless.

For speculation I'd say that because of his 2 gen vault rule that only currently rules out 7th gen to be acceptable, Wii, PS3 and 360 that doesn't seem to be a priority for takedown by many major companies thus.

It also helps that he is a non-profit, unlike others he doesn't take donations and has adds but it's pretty much to pay for his expensive hosting the servers.

Say what you will but the shear fact that only Vimm and a few people Keeped the site alive for nearly 25 years is nothing short of remarkable and astounding.

But the factual reason, IDK you'll have to find a way to ask Vimm.

Reactions: Chary and Caleck

RaffyTaffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
United States
That's actually a brilliant question, I'm not even entirely sure on how Vimm keeps it up but kudos to him regardless.

For speculation I'd say that because of his 2 gen vault rule that only currently rules out 7th gen to be acceptable, Wii, PS3 and 360 that doesn't seem to be a priority for takedown by many major companies thus.

It also helps that he is a non-profit, unlike others he doesn't take donations and has adds but it's pretty much to pay for his expensive hosting the servers.

Say what you will but the shear fact that only Vimm and a few people Keeped the site alive for nearly 25 years is nothing short of remarkable and astounding.

But the factual reason, IDK you'll have to find a way to ask Vimm.
Hello! I actually recognize you from the message board!
I've attempted asking Vimm on the message board, Sadly i didn't get a response. I was curious because I agree, the fact he has kept it alive for 25 years is truly remarkable.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! I actually recognize you from the message board!
I've attempted asking Vimm on the message board, Sadly i didn't get a response. I was curious because I agree, the fact he has kept it alive for 25 years is truly remarkable.
Yea, same Tom Riddle from the message boards.

You know what? Maybe sometimes, mysteries should never solved in life and the website of Vimm being up as long as it was should remain a mystery.

The benefit of website of Vimm being up is still a damn fine positive, mystery solved or not

Reactions: Jayro

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Megaupload went down, it was because they had servers in the USA. So my understanding from that is: you need to keep the copyrighted material out of law-enforcement's jurisdiction.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Sam12hp64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have stayed up because they have a policy that you shouldn't download the game if you don't already own it. Therefore, it is completely legal and makes sense to have the ability to download games on a console, rather than having to remove the disc and switch them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They have stayed up because they have a policy that you shouldn't download the game if you don't already own it. Therefore, it is completely legal and makes sense to have the ability to download games on a console, rather than having to remove the disc and switch them.
That’s literally not how the law works. Distributing copyrighted files is copyright infringement, that’s the crime still being committed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any...