Hacking How far has the vita been hacked?

ArchangelPT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thinking of buying a vita and wondering how far the scene has taken it thus far. I still have my old psp phat which i use as an emulator but it's getting old and busted, can the vita replace it yet?

Also is it able to play the old psp games? It would be amazing to be able to move my library to it.

Thanks for reading

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita has a built in PSP 'emulator' which is capable of being exploited to run a full PSP system environment much like the old PSP CFWs. It requires you to be on firmware 3.51 or lower, and you also have to purchase an exploitable PSP game from PSN. http://www.zload.net/bilder/PSVita/VitaExploitChart.png This is a chart of all exploitable games and their compatible firmwares. You'll also want a guide on setting up either TN-V or ARK, this is good for 3.18 but should be applicable to higher firmwares as well http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=39736 But you should do your own reading to be sure.
The PSP emulator mode can run PS1 games, but not with sound. There are seperate PS1 exploits for max compatibility with those, but only work on 3.20 or lower.

There was also a native Vita exploit recently released under the Rejuvenate banner. It exploits the debugger capabilities of the PS Mobile app, so while it doesn't need you to buy a game, it does require you to have the PSM Dev Assistant installed. The window for installing the regular Dev Assistant is already closed, but developers are already working to port all the relevant tools to the Unity version of the app, which is DRM free and so can be freely installed on any <=3.51 Vita.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The Vita has a built in PSP 'emulator' which is capable of being exploited to run a full PSP system environment much like the old PSP CFWs. It requires you to be on firmware 3.51 or lower, and you also have to purchase an exploitable PSP game from PSN. http://www.zload.net/bilder/PSVita/VitaExploitChart.png This is a chart of all exploitable games and their compatible firmwares. You'll also want a guide on setting up either TN-V or ARK, this is good for 3.18 but should be applicable to higher firmwares as well http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=39736 But you should do your own reading to be sure.
The PSP emulator mode can run PS1 games, but not with sound. There are seperate PS1 exploits for max compatibility with those, but only work on 3.20 or lower.

There was also a native Vita exploit recently released under the Rejuvenate banner. It exploits the debugger capabilities of the PS Mobile app, so while it doesn't need you to buy a game, it does require you to have the PSM Dev Assistant installed. The window for installing the regular Dev Assistant is alrady closed, but developers are already working to port all the relevant tools to the Unity version of the app, which is DRM free and so can be freely installed on any <=3.51 Vita.

newest is 3.52 so an exploitable firmware is only 1 update below? But the best one is 3.18? I would like PSP ISOS ad maybe the best PS1 Emulation (sound) With Sony pretty much abandoning the Vita out to davey jones locker with slapping the cop-out "legacy" title; on in other words "we failed the portable market" I hope that more vita hacks will be released with no pushback or update "fuckery" from Sony.

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

ArchangelPT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

There was also a native Vita exploit recently released under the Rejuvenate banner. It exploits the debugger capabilities of the PS Mobile app, so while it doesn't need you to buy a game, it does require you to have the PSM Dev Assistant installed. The window for installing the regular Dev Assistant is already closed, but developers are already working to port all the relevant tools to the Unity version of the app, which is DRM free and so can be freely installed on any <=3.51 Vita.
Is it as easy as the Dark Alex days when installing custom firmware or is the process more complex?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More complex but not that bad, you will need a ps3 with psn access to download and transfer the game, and the vita needs to be registered to your account
Then you just use qcma to transfer the exploit save and the ecfw folder and run load the save game and install the ecfw
The biggest problem is moving stuff on and off the system without qcma, thats where vitaftp comes in

Last edited by Joe88,

ArchangelPT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
More complex but not that bad, you will need a ps3 with psn access to download and transfer the game, and the vita needs to be registered to your account
Then you just use qmca to transfer the exploit save and the ecfw folder and run load the save game and install the ecfw
The biggest problem is moving stuff on and off the system without qmca, thats where vitaftp comes in
I don't own a ps3 unfortunately, sounds like it's not the right time for me to be buying it yet. Thanks for the help.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Then you just use qmca to transfer the exploit save and the ecfw folder and run load the save game and install the ecfw
The biggest problem is moving stuff on and off the system without qmca, thats where vitaftp comes in

QMCA? VitaFTP? are these PC applications? I Have a PS3 with PSN access and I have no problem doing that. All those games in the list...Sony hasn't closed the loophole on any of those games yet?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
for the moment, you're probably better off buying a 'new' psp console to substitute the banged up one. I still find new ones in electronic stores form time to time and of course, you get a bunch of them used for around 50-60€, sometimes cheaper on flea markets.

that is, of course, unless you want the vita to play some of the vita games.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
QMCA? VitaFTP? are these PC applications? I Have a PS3 with PSN access and I have no problem doing that. All those games in the list...Sony hasn't closed the loophole on any of those games yet?
QCMA is PC software to transfer to/from a Vita. The official Sony application is CMA, but it requires you to update your Vita's firmware to the latest available to use, QMCA doesn't. VitaFTP is a PSP-mode application for the Vita, which lets you FTP to and from the Vita's ePSP directory with more freedom than CMA can allow. So far the only way Sony has reacted to ePSP exploits is to pull the affected games from PSN, push out a Vita update that patches the hole, then return the games. They so far (to my knowledge) haven't actually patched any of the games themselves, which means as long as you have a method of getting the games onto your Vita (such as with a PS3) then you're fine. http://wololo.net/2013/04/17/lower-ps-vita-firmwares-for-dummies/ gives a rundown.

I don't own a ps3 unfortunately, sounds like it's not the right time for me to be buying it yet. Thanks for the help.
If the PSP stuff is all you're interested in, as Cludefrosch said, you're better off just getting a replacement PSP. They're much cheaper, and easier to hack. Native Vita homebrew shows a lot of promise, but the scene isn't even a few months old yet, it'll be a good while before there's a decent catalog of homebrew.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QCMA is PC software to transfer to/from a Vita. The official Sony application is CMA, but it requires you to update your Vita's firmware to the latest available to use, QMCA doesn't. VitaFTP is a PSP-mode application for the Vita, which lets you FTP to and from the Vita's ePSP directory with more freedom than CMA can allow. So far the only way Sony has reacted to ePSP exploits is to pull the affected games from PSN, push out a Vita update that patches the hole, then return the games. They so far (to my knowledge) haven't actually patched any of the games themselves, which means as long as you have a method of getting the games onto your Vita (such as with a PS3) then you're fine. http://wololo.net/2013/04/17/lower-ps-vita-firmwares-for-dummies/ gives a rundown.

If the PSP stuff is all you're interested in, as Cludefrosch said, you're better off just getting a replacement PSP. They're much cheaper, and easier to hack. Native Vita homebrew shows a lot of promise, but the scene isn't even a few months old yet, it'll be a good while before there's a decent catalog of homebrew.
And there is no hack that works on the newest firmware right?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
And there is no hack that works on the newest firmware right?
That's right. 3.52 revoked the PS Mobile Dev Assistant so no native exploit, and no-one has released any ePSP exploits yet although there'll probably be one before too long. Most Vitas available should still be on 3.51 or lower, so if you want to get one for homebrew purposes, now's the time to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...