How exactly do you use Braindump?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by UnwantedFortune, Mar 16, 2017.

1. UnwantedFortune
    OP

UnwantedFortune Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    So basically every time I start up Braindump, it immediately starts dumping files without giving me the option to select a game or application. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, so I'm not sure what folder I should be showing, but these are the files it auto-dumps upon startup every single time.

Edit: I know what Braindump is for, I'm trying to use it to dump Fire Emblem files, the issue is that it won't let me select what it dumps, it just starts dumping right away.

Capture.PNG

(I suppose I'm supposed to post this in the Ask! section, but for the life of me I could not figure out how to post over there, I don't know if like the post button just wasn't loading or what, but I could not find an option to post.)

I'm completely new to the whole Homebrew and hacking thing, so I really don't know what I'm doing wrong but I really want to learn, so any help is really appreciated.

Last edited by UnwantedFortune, Mar 16, 2017
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    You shouldn't be using an app if you don't know what it does and how to use it.

3. UnwantedFortune
    OP

UnwantedFortune Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    See the thing is you can't learn if you don't try, so if I just didn't do anything simply because i didn't already know how to do it, life would get boring pretty fast.

I do know what it does, I'm trying to get it to dump Fire Emblem files for me, I guess I probably should have made that a bit more clear, but every time I start the app it just starts dumping files right away, with no options of what to dump.

Last edited by UnwantedFortune, Mar 16, 2017
    Shikkichu likes this.
  4. MyLegGuy

MyLegGuy Moron

Nov 26, 2014
    United States
    Make sure you have braindump.xml with the 3dsx.

UnwantedFortune likes this.
  5. UnwantedFortune
    OP

UnwantedFortune Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    I think this is what went wrong! I'm checking now, thanks in advance. :) If it doesn't help I'll say so.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Seriously thank you so much, that's all it was. I feel like such an idiot, but hey, can't know everything. Though I AM really confused on how I missed such an important file..

6. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    ya, that file specifies things such as what app to use with braindump/jksm/svdt/etc, and also says if the title selector shows up or not.

7. Shikkichu

Shikkichu Just a Pika Girl~

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    I'd only say that to a thing that could brick their consoles, random tools, try to help and let them learn from trial and error
    I mean I didn't build my very first computer flawlessly (I was 12 at the time), now I can build them perfectly fine