How easy is it to UNjailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by MarcusRaven, May 24, 2011.

1. MarcusRaven
    OP

MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

Feb 5, 2010
    United States
    N. Carolina
    I've got a first gen iPad, and I'm considering jailbreaking it. Before I even try to do so, how easy is it to UNjailbreak should I decide to? What would I have to do? (Looking into using the latest version of RedSnow for the jailbreak.)

2. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    Simple! Just press restore on iTunes and select your desired IPSW. Remember to backup though

3. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    To completely unjailbreak so its undetectable by Apple you must restore and not use a backup. When you get the iPad back you can just restore again to your old backup though.

4. Supersonicmonk

Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    Cymru
    I'm sure I read somewhere that restoring removes almost all traces, but jail broken apps can still show up on genius suggestions and you have tunnel in and delete something or other. They probably use this in apple stores to find absent minded warranty seekers.

5. indask8

indask8 New Member Forever

Apr 19, 2007
    France
    Look at the Flag...
    Those data are contained in the itunes account.

If you restore your iPhone/iPod/Ipad and don't restore a previous backup on it, it's virgin once again.

6. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    If you restore from no backup it leaves no traces. Most of the time traces are a few settings files that get backed up such as my ScrollingBoard layout gets backed up and that's how they catch it.

7. MarcusRaven
    OP

Feb 5, 2010
    United States
    N. Carolina
    okay, so what would the exact process be then?

Also, what cydia repositories have OpenSSH and Mobile Terminal because I can't find them. >.

8. olleb

olleb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2010
    Sweden
    i have a ipad 1g and have jailbroken several ios devices...
    how to unjailbreak it:
    1. connect device to itunes.
    2. press restore.
    3. wait.
    4. you have a 100% vanilla device (unjailbroken)

also... openssh is in the standard cydia repos. the mobile terminal in the cydia repos is outdated. to get a working mobile terminal you have to google it. the repo i found it on did offer some pirate stuff, so i wont link it. google "ipad [firmware version] mobile terminal" to find it. i got some matches when i did it last time.

9. MarcusRaven
    OP

Feb 5, 2010
    United States
    N. Carolina
    Thanks. Is there a possibility that I stopped the loading of the repos too soon? Can you reload them?

EDIT: Not sure why, but everything's showing up fine now. Got it handled. [​IMG]

10. metamaster

metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    There isn't any reason to even bring an iDevice to Apple aside from physical damage. That's because of how the firmware is loaded: bootrom -> firmware. Since the bootrom loads the firmware and it cannot be modified, you can't "break it". So if you break the firmware, the bootrom is still intact, which means that you can restore, another one of the functions that the bootrom can preform.
    So if you think you broke your iDevice software-wise, you can fix it yourself, so you don't have to worry about Apple finding out. Which means you can keep your warranty for physical damages.